Leafs future Captain?

Who is your choice for the next Captain of the Leafs?

• Total voters

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Nazem Kadri

Positives:
  • Longest serving Leaf once Bozak/ JVR depart, he's been through the rough times and he's done nothing but get better and fight through adversity
  • Hard worker, great ambassador in the community and is good with the media (including taking criticism)
  • Always sticks up for himself and his teammates and isn't afraid to drop the gloves or lay the big hits when things aren't going our way
  • Has earned his way into his role and is arguably one of the most hardest working players on the team
  • Very durable player
  • Loves the attention

Negatives:
  • Can be a hot head sometimes and is prone to crossing the line from time to time both on and off the ice
  • Hasn't ever been a Captain before at any level

Morgan Rielly

Positives:
  • Has always been the go to guy on every team he's played in his life
  • Very dependable, good attitude, low maintainance
  • Not afraid to stick up for teammates and mix things up from time to time
  • Big time player in big/ crucial moments (Never has an off night)
  • Has worn the A before and has played a vital role in stabilising our D-core for past 3 years
  • Coaches and teammates love him

Negatives:
  • Might be a little too nice for his own good? he's a bit of a quiet/ shy guy (though he does his media sessions regularly)
  • Already carrying the D-core on his back. Added responsibility might be too much?

Auston Matthews

Positives:
  • Face of the franchise, top player on the team and will most likely also be the highest paid player on the team
  • Great with the media and as the face of the Leafs in the community
  • Media, Fans, teammates, coaches all love him
  • Plays a premium position and will be one of the top players in the league

Negatives:
  • Has held leadership positions before but never been a captain
  • Can disappear when the going gets tough
  • Might get annoyed by the constant scrutiny (doesn't seem to do well with criticism so far in his career)

Mitch Marner

Positives:
  • Big time player and winner
  • Always shows up in big games and big moments and leads by example through adversity
  • Has been Captain of championship teams in the past in high pressure situations
  • Coaches, fans and media love him
  • Heart and soul player, can take a beating for the betterment of the team and is willing to play any role given to him
  • Born and raised a TML fan from the GTA

Negatives:
  • Baby faced and might be a little difficult to take seriously
  • Not the biggest guy on the ice and farthest from intimidating. More lead by example type than raw emotion.

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
I don’t see captain On this team yet never really did like Sundin But he was more of a captain than anybody on this team

Reactions: hector morrison

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
We must be watching a different series if you think Rielly is playing well. His flaws limit him so much. He’s a mediocre 2nd pairing guy.
Morgan has probably been the only Leafs dman that hasn't looked like absolute trash so far. Dermott too. Rest of the D core has been horrendous.

Reactions: 17 Clark

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I could see them going Buffalo style and doing Marner captain at home, Matthews away. That's what I would do

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
It's still Matthews. Might take another couple of years but it's going to be him.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Based on this playoff series Rielly or Marner. Matthews and his line save a couple of bright moments have been completely ineffective and most of the time don’t look like they’re giving it their all.

Granted a lot of these guys are still really young, so I suppose it’s unfair to expect Matthews to be ready to shoulder the burden that comes with the captaincy at 20. Sundin wasn’t named Captain until he was 25 and played nearly three seasons with the team (one season was shortened) and six seasons overall. Clark was 24 when he became captain of the Leafs, and had played six seasons before then. Sitter was 24 soon to be 25 and had played 5 seasons before being named captain.

Honestly when I look at it like that, Rielly does creep back into being my favourite for the captaincy of the Leafs. He’s shown fight these playoffs, this season he’s emerged (or will real soon depending on how one feels) as a #1 defenseman, and has been on the Leafs for five years now.

If we HAD to name a captain for next year, Rielly would be the front runner I believe. Sure Matthews is our best player, but he’s still very young and inexperienced. Sure, there have been young captains named recently, such as Landeskog, McDavid, and Crosby, each at 19, and Toews who was named at 20. However, Matthews is not McDavid or Crosby, and Toronto is a rougher market than either Colorado or Chicago. The Habs who are a similar market to us in terms of media waited until Pacioretty was 26 before he was named captain. Koivu was 24 and Gionta was 30!

They certainly aren’t in the business of naming captains in their early twenties. And to be honest I don’t blame them. That market is extremely toxic, but so is ours. Is it really a smart move to be thrusting this responsibility on Auston at 20/21/22? Honestly now, with the way this series his gone and how he avoided the media after tonight (not that I really blame him for doing so), and with the history behind captains a of this team, I’m not so sure.

Also all these arguments apply to Marner as well considering he’s near the same age as Auston.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
We must be watching a different series if you think Rielly is playing well. His flaws limit him so much. He’s a mediocre 2nd pairing guy.
Some advice. You're last sentence makes your looks ridiculous, make your point without exaggerating. There isn't a second pairing in the NHL Reilly couldn't play for, and well...

Reactions: stickty111

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This thread has been done many times in the past.

A search for "captain" on Leafs board would show those results.

Matthews has been the overwhelming response each time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad