Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Flames Nov 28 9pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Last years western trip was very entertaining...

Kadri in particular really stepped up... That OT goal with McDavid on his back, and then that hit against Sedin in Vancouver... :nod:

That was at the ACC for sure. Believe the Sedin hit was as well.

Reactions: Gallagbi

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Leafs last 10: 7-2-1
Flames last 10: 6-3-1

Leafs last 5: 2-2-1
Flames last 5: 3-2-0

Come again? Calgary has been the epitome of inconsistency this year, and currently they only really have one scoring line, although it is a scorching hot line.

I haven't been happy with how the Leafs have looked, but they had arguably their best performance of the season on Saturday since the last Washington game, and probably would've won had Andersen been in net.

Burke has always kinda had a blowhard look, but he aged horribly after his time in Toronto. Take a look at pictures of Burke when he first got here in 2008, vs when he was fired in 2013. He looked like a man who had his soul drained, which is not surprising considering he went through a divorce, lost a son and poor results in his line of work.

Leafs were near top of the league and have recently slid to 10th. points per game. They were 8th. PPG about a week ago.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Leafs were near top of the league and have recently slid to 10th. points per game. They were 8th. PPG about a week ago.

Looking at points per game less than halfway into the season is kinda pointless when looking at teams in the top 10. There's such little separation that one win or one loss can change a position dramatically.

We're still 2nd in the Atlantic which is exactly where we were expected to be. (and by a relatively big margin too)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Looking at points per game less than halfway into the season is kinda pointless when looking at teams in the top 10. There's such little separation that one win or one loss can change a position dramatically.

We're still 2nd in the Atlantic which is exactly where we were expected to be. (and by a relatively big margin too)

So kind of pointless to suggest they have any standings so early in the year?

No one is saying they aren't in a playoffs spot, of course why worry about that so early in the season, but the mirage of the Cup favorite from Vegas Bookies is long gone.

And with that 7-2-1 they've still dropped in PPG, which of course doesn't impact the playoffs position, which we aren't going to suggest has any relevance so early in the season.

As long as Andersen can hold them in games until they wake up they'll be fine.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
the leafs were 20th in ppg before that 7-2-1. now they're 9th.

Last time I checked they were 8th., but that was before their record of last week where they lost 3 of 4 games.

Why I checked is because people were claiming they were where they were in the standings without looking at all the games in hand other teams had in the league.

The 7-Eleven Power Rankings - Blues fest continues

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
Love when the Leafs come out west. Got tickets for Saturday's game in Van. Already a panic attack ensuing on TSN 1040...this morning they were talking about Sedin getting his 1000 point and hoping he does it against the Leafs.

Lol.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
So kind of pointless to suggest they have any standings so early in the year?

No one is saying they aren't in a playoffs spot, of course why worry about that so early in the season, but the mirage of the Cup favorite from Vegas Bookies is long gone.

And with that 7-2-1 they've still dropped in PPG, which of course doesn't impact the playoffs position, which we aren't going to suggest has any relevance so early in the season.

As long as Andersen can hold them in games until they wake up they'll be fine.
Why are you moving the goal posts? You said one team is descending while the other is rising. Then you cite PPG and how they were first (which was like 7 games into the season). That is clearly not the case.

Also looking at strength of schedule, Leafs have had one of the hardest schedules thus far and it will remain that way until the New Year. Thankfully in 2018 they'll have an easier ride and will hopefully take advantage of that as other teams scrap it out for points.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Love when the Leafs come out west. Got tickets for Saturday's game in Van. Already a panic attack ensuing on TSN 1040...this morning they were talking about Sedin getting his 1000 point and hoping he does it against the Leafs.

Lol.
Out of the 3 games we play on this road swing, I truly hope we win the Vancouver one. Hate that fanbase with a passion. Beating Edmonton is also very satisfying these days.

Reactions: MapleLeafistan

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Lol.

I don't even try to get tickets for the games in Calgary.
Facilities here are quite pathetic, Stampeders and Flames both have crap facilities. Stampeders' stadium (LOL) is just pathetic ... guess the billionaire owners will just keep standing with their hats out.

C'mon Calgary: Flames billionaire owner can build his own arena | The Hockey News

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
I don't even try to get tickets for the games in Calgary.
Facilities here are quite pathetic, Stampeders and Flames both have crap facilities. Stampeders' stadium (LOL) is just pathetic ... guess the billionaire owners will just keep standing with their hats out.

C'mon Calgary: Flames billionaire owner can build his own arena | The Hockey News

I was thinking after the floods they'd want to build a new arena, but they just ended up gutting out the basement and ground levels of Saddledome and rebuilt it...he really wants Calgary to pay the bill it seems for a new arena. It's probably the worst NHL arena in Canada right now. Really lagging in terms of well....everything.

Rogers Arena is meh, but really liking what Edmonton has done with Rogers Place. Big huge improvement from Northlands.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Why are you moving the goal posts? You said one team is descending while the other is rising. Then you cite PPG and how they were first (which was like 7 games into the season). That is clearly not the case.

Also looking at strength of schedule, Leafs have had one of the hardest schedules thus far and it will remain that way until the New Year. Thankfully in 2018 they'll have an easier ride and will hopefully take advantage of that as other teams scrap it out for points.

Who is moving goal posts?

Flames were out of the playoffs and have moved into a playoffs spot, they are ascending. They are 4 points behind Leafs, with 2 games in hand, which has nothing to do with playoffs.

I expect the Flames to win because IMO they are improving whereas the Leafs have been relying on Andersen to hold them in games until they get their motors running.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
Out of the 3 games we play on this road swing, I truly hope we win the Vancouver one. Hate that fanbase with a passion. Beating Edmonton is also very satisfying these days.

Trust me you have to come here to witness it. You have no idea how much Nucks fans despise the Leafs...I mean the whole Western Canada vs Eastern Canada thing exists but you don't feel that same animosity in Calgary and Edmonton like you do in Vancouver. I still haven't figured out what they're so upset about. You can actually feel the vibe in the city change leading up to the game 2 or 3 days before. It's almost like Nucks fans are over-excited about being on prime time HNIC and don't know how to react. The whole thing is just weird...and 1040 really fuels the animosity. They really like rubbing it in to Nucks fans about the 4:00pm start and get them all riled up days before the game.

Maybe it's the 4pm start I don't know...for me personally though the 4pm start is perfect...I catch the afternoon ferry over, watch the game and catch a ferry back. I have no complaints.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Western swing is always interesting - and I have to repeat myself that the team is not motivated enough in winning battles, we sit back and let the opponents dictate the game. I am seeing a trend with those slow starts and then explode once after 2 periods or once the game is half over, it's not easy to win when your are trying to come from behind. We need to play 60 minutes and not just 20 - 30 minutes every night

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Trust me you have to come here to witness it. You have no idea how much Nucks fans despise the Leafs...I mean the whole Western Canada vs Eastern Canada thing exists but you don't feel that same animosity in Calgary and Edmonton like you do in Vancouver. I still haven't figured out what they're so upset about. You can actually feel the vibe in the city change leading up to the game 2 or 3 days before. It's almost like Nucks fans are over-excited about being on prime time HNIC and don't know how to react. The whole thing is just weird...and 1040 really fuels the animosity. They really like rubbing it in to Nucks fans about the 4:00pm start and get them all riled up days before the game.

Maybe it's the 4pm start I don't know...for me personally though the 4pm start is perfect...I catch the afternoon ferry over, watch the game and catch a ferry back. I have no complaints.
Lol thanks for sharing --the whole situation over there is just hilarious:laugh:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Yeah I think Calgary has some of the best fans out of the 3 but still some highly obnoxious ones. Edmonton and Vancouver are truly nightmare fan bases

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Hey, I lived in Victoria in the early-mid 70's and it was there then.

I was kind of surprised by it way back then, but not so much today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad