Leafs ECHL team "Newfoundland Growlers" - Ryane Clowe named head coach

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Like Marchment and Kaskisou who both earned their first and second Leaf contracts respectively recently? Might hear more from Dzierkals and Pospisil too soon. Holl and Sparks also played time in the ECHL.

More than 30 players in the last year earned NHL Contracts following playing on AHL contracts; often a portion of their development was served in the ECHL. That's roughly 10% of AHL contracts. Of those ~30 players there are already more than 100 NHL games played.

Under Dubas, more AHL contracts have been given than any other NHL franchise (30) in the last 2 years. Second on that list are the Islanders with 26. The Islanders have parlayed 4 of those into NHL contracts already. So far, Toronto has awarded just one, Mason Marchment, but again we might learn new information about Dzierkals and Pospisil soon because their rights end this week. 12 of the 14 Marlie contracted players this year played on the Solar Bears at some point. When you have a strong AA and AAA farm system, it can help erase drafting mistakes. For example, it could be argued that Marchment took Middleton's ELC. Marchment played a full season in the ECHL.

Gilman was about to be hired as the new ECHL commissioner at a time when their new CBA was about to be negotiated. I think you will only see the Leafs leverage the ECHL more with this new relationship.

Cast-offs in the sense that the Marlies did not have room for them, not that they're bad players. Poor word to use. Should have used overflow or something.

Reactions: Growler

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'd hazard a guess that professional opportunity trumps geography. Beggers can't be choosers.
That could depend on how hungry your family is or how far you are on the downside of your career and what you've banked to that point.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
That could depend on how hungry your family is or how far you are on the downside of your career and what you've banked to that point.

Depends if you're a lifer or someone with AHL/NHL chances/aspirations.

Either way, if we're talking about Leafs assets, almost all of our ECHL graduates were either drafted by us or signed out of college to AHL deals, and sent down. They didn't have a say in the matter.

Overarching point is this: We sell these guys on AHL opportunities and they usually end up in the ECHL due to a lack of room/opportunity in the AHL.

Growler

May 16, 2018
"The exact number of players the Maple Leafs will be assigning to St. John’s is still to be announced, but it is said to be significant. It could be as many as a dozen, which would be among the largest commitments to any ECHL team by an NHL partner. Most of the players will be on AHL deals, but some could be on NHL entry-level contracts. The remainder of the Growlers roster will be the local ownership’s responsibility, but it is possible the Leafs could help out in identifying players who would not be under contract to Toronto, but be seen as potential Growlers...The affiliation will be with the Maple Leafs, but expect almost all interleague transactions to be between the Growlers and AHL’s Toronto Marlies. Nine players played on both the Solar Bears and Marlies in 2017-18, but no player appeared in a regular-season game with both Orlando and the Maple Leafs last season."

Newfoundland Growlers will be Maple Leafs' affiliate, but not Maple Leafs' team | The Telegram

Last year the Solar Bears played 12 players on AHL (Marlie) contracts. That was the highest in the ECHL last year with the Worcester Railers (Islanders ECHL affiliate) being #2 with 8. Most teams had fewer than 4, several with none. Dubas was putting in work. And I don't see it slowing down with Gilman. Plus there are more than 40 active NFLD born players in the minor leagues, junior and Europe that local Growler management can sign to ECHL contracts, to help ice a team the locals can get behind.

I think we are witnessing a few franchises including Toronto (led by Toronto?) further redefining the role of the ECHL in their farm system plans. For example, I could see the Marlies signing Greening to a 2 year, 2 way AHL contract with the intent of being the Captain of the Growlers (if he wants it). You just don't sign 15 AHL contracts, send 12 to the ECHL, AND sign another half a dozen College PTO/ATOs in the Spring - and play them, PLUS bring in your draft picks and play some of them if it is not part of a larger strategy of building a deep farm system of which the ECHL is a key component. Other teams simply do not do this on this scale. I think the Growler relationship with its familiar ownership team will only reinforce it. By comparison, Laval does not even have its own GM - Bergevin "handles" them too. It is not too hard to understand therefore that the Brampton Beast are arguably the worst franchise in the ECHL to play for, and demonstrate it in the standings.

Last edited:

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Dubas did say early on that he wanted to utilize the ECHL more as a development tool. This is just another step towards that goal. It could be years before we see the benefits, but I appreciate the effort.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
I am reminded of a Top Gear episode. Involving this car

img_growler_e.jpg

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016

I don't have anything against Newfoundland, but I still don't get why the Leafs aren't in on acquiring the Brampton Beast for their ECHL affiliate.

Reactions: blueberrie

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
"The exact number of players the Maple Leafs will be assigning to St. John’s is still to be announced, but it is said to be significant. It could be as many as a dozen, which would be among the largest commitments to any ECHL team by an NHL partner. Most of the players will be on AHL deals, but some could be on NHL entry-level contracts. The remainder of the Growlers roster will be the local ownership’s responsibility, but it is possible the Leafs could help out in identifying players who would not be under contract to Toronto, but be seen as potential Growlers...The affiliation will be with the Maple Leafs, but expect almost all interleague transactions to be between the Growlers and AHL’s Toronto Marlies. Nine players played on both the Solar Bears and Marlies in 2017-18, but no player appeared in a regular-season game with both Orlando and the Maple Leafs last season."

Newfoundland Growlers will be Maple Leafs' affiliate, but not Maple Leafs' team | The Telegram

Last year the Solar Bears played 12 players on AHL (Marlie) contracts. That was the highest in the ECHL last year with the Worcester Railers (Islanders ECHL affiliate) being #2 with 8. Most teams had fewer than 4, several with none. Dubas was putting in work. And I don't see it slowing down with Gilman. Plus there are more than 40 active NFLD born players in the minor leagues, junior and Europe that local Growler management can sign to ECHL contracts, to help ice a team the locals can get behind.

I think we are witnessing a few franchises including Toronto (led by Toronto?) further redefining the role of the ECHL in their farm system plans. For example, I could see the Marlies signing Greening to a 2 year, 2 way AHL contract with the intent of being the Captain of the Growlers (if he wants it). You just don't sign 15 AHL contracts, send 12 to the ECHL, AND sign another half a dozen College PTO/ATOs in the Spring - and play them, PLUS bring in your draft picks and play some of them if it is not part of a larger strategy of building a deep farm system of which the ECHL is a key component. Other teams simply do not do this on this scale. I think the Growler relationship with its familiar ownership team will only reinforce it. By comparison, Laval does not even have its own GM - Bergevin "handles" them too. It is not too hard to understand therefore that the Brampton Beast are arguably the worst franchise in the ECHL to play for, and demonstrate it in the standings.

Greening is not playing in the ECHL lol. He's probably a marlie lifer from this point on. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a Tryout offer from the leafs or even another NHL club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad