Recalled/Assigned: Leafs demote Holmberg to Marlies

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Weird choice of "demote". Leafs have done this for years, cap related most of the time.
He's clearly still got a spot on the Leafs. This is likely conditioning.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Weird choice of "demote". Leafs have done this for years, cap related most of the time.
He's clearly still got a spot on the Leafs. This is likely conditioning.
More likely, as per the tweet, the Marlies appear to be short handed in the middle, and since he's got no waiver issues, he's been sent down the street to fill in for the night.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He won't be there for long. As others have said, almost certainly to do with cap and or roster space for a smaller period of time.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Against Florida I was thinking how much better the Leafs would be if Holmberg were playing.

He's waivers-exempt, so this has nothing to do with waivers.

The Leafs are in LTIR, so this doesn't accrue any cap space.

He's coming off an injury, and if it were for conditioning they could have made a conditioning loan.

They had a full 23-man roster, and this brings them down to 22.

Adding a body?

Incoming trade?

I've been seeing leaf fans advocating for him to play with the Leafs since pre-season. Is it still perplexing, or maybe he just doesn't have the kind of thing Keefe is looking for...
He's looked like he belongs.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Probably a conditioning game .. perhaps coming off of an illness they wanted to him in a game before Saturday. And keep him out of the lineup against the Jets, which they're expecting be a physical game.

He'll be back .. I think Keefe likes him too much.

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
Did anything else come out about why Holmberg was sent down? Do the Leafs just want to play Simmonds rather than Holmberg? Is the choice between him and McMann? I’m super confused about the demotion because I thought he gave our bottom 6 a bit of stability and identity.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Did anything else come out about why Holmberg was sent down? Do the Leafs just want to play Simmonds rather than Holmberg? Is the choice between him and McMann? I’m super confused about the demotion because I thought he gave our bottom 6 a bit of stability and identity.

Guess they needed to put Dryden Hunt on waivers first?

Reactions: DragoGrizzly

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
So do they move McMann down to the 4th line and put Kerfoot back with Kampf and Engvall? Or does Kerfoot slide over to the wing on the 4th line with Holmberg at center?

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
So do they move McMann down to the 4th line and put Kerfoot back with Kampf and Engvall? Or does Kerfoot slide over to the wing on the 4th line with Holmberg at center?
I really liked that Kerfoot/Kampf/Engvall line. That means a 4th line of ZAR/Holmberg/McMann which I wonder if Keefe would be comfortable with.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Engvall - Kampf - Holmberg
Aston Reese - Kerfoot - McMann

I’d prefer to see something like that

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

He was really sick for a good week so they wanted him to get back up to game speed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad