Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Canucks Dec 18 - POSTPONED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
This talk of Omicron being mild is premature at best. South Africa has a much younger population than Canada/US so a lower death count due to Omicron could be more indicative of their countries' relatively youthful population than Omicrons strength.

Cancel games until the end of the year and see if that is the circuit breaker that will help them finish the season. Bowing out of the Olympics should be a given

Reactions: SwollenGoat

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I wasn't debating the article or your position ...

I was clarifying that they aren't just ignoring infections, and if you aren't vaccinated those changes don't do anything for you.

NFL is also changing when games can be played, and have postponed games.
Truth sire. And that canadian border thang is also an obstacle for surely.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
This talk of Omicron being mild is premature at best. South Africa has a much younger population than Canada/US so a lower death count due to Omicron could be more indicative of their countries' relatively youthful population than Omicrons strength.

Cancel games until the end of the year and see if that is the circuit breaker that will help them finish the season. Bowing out of the Olympics should be a given

All viruses evolve into more transmissible but milder variants over time. That’s happened in every viral pandemic to date including the 1918/19 Spanish flu pandemic.

Omicron has produced lower rates of hospitalization and death compared with Delta across the board.

In some ways this will function as a natural vaccine by producing natural immunity in most people contracting it. Unlike the mRNA shots it could be sterilizing.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I keep hearing it’s mild, it may be, but based on what? South Africa has a younger population and way more natural immunity considering they barely had access to vaccines and way more people caught Covid as a result. It’s always been ‘mild’ amongst a younger population.

It’s unfortunate the the myth that Covid has no treatment is so pervasive. Get treatment people!

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
This is infuriating.

But if the league is going to keep doing this then maybe the NHL season should run from March-November and shut things down Dec/Jan/Feb?

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
All viruses evolve into more transmissible but milder variants over time. That’s happened in every viral pandemic to date including the 1918/19 Spanish flu pandemic.

Omicron has produced lower rates of hospitalization and death compared with Delta across the board.

In some ways this will function as a natural vaccine by producing natural immunity in most people contracting it. Unlike the mRNA shots it could be sterilizing.

We've identified Omicron for about a month. Less severe maybe because people getting it are vaxxed or partially vaxxed. Too many variables and not enough time has transpired to talk with any authority. I'm not saying it isn't less severe but these are also relative terms - it still may have the ability to kill an elderly person or someone with a compromised immune system.
The consequences of overwhelming our healthcare system are too severe to treat Omicron lightly.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010

This guy is correct, stop the testing and the restrictions, don’t worry about asymptotic cases, get your boosters, take your vitamins and let the virus run its course.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Puzzling; What happens to the older variants, Delta, C strain etc. Surely they weren't wiped out. I don't understand, does Omicron attack Delta or something like that. If you get Omicron does it protect you from the older strains?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Considering my job depends on hockey being played, I can be a bit upset about this. On top of that, I don't want another shutdown of everything in general given how mild Omicron is based on reports. It's all a complete overreaction so far.

Dubas just said our players are experiencing symptoms. Also I never said you don’t have a right to mad. It’s really not an overreaction though. It’s contagious, what do you want them to do? Keep playing? Just because it’s mild for most doesn’t mean we shouldn’t protect the 1 or 2 players per team where it’s not going to be mild. God forbid they give it to their families and someone dies.

sorry it’s affecting your income. NHL isn’t going to shut down though, so you don’t have to worry about that happening.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
This guy is correct, stop the testing and the restrictions, don’t worry about asymptotic cases, get your boosters, take your vitamins and let the virus run its course.

no offense but this is so stupid. Asymptomatic people are still contagious. You can’t just not worry about them because the person they infect may very well be symptomatic once they receive the infection from an asymptomatic carrier.

ThrowDemTongs

kid named jeff finger
Mar 21, 2013
Coquitlam, BC
Puzzling; What happens to the older variants, Delta, C strain etc. Surely they weren't wiped out. I don't understand, does Omicron attack Delta or something like that. If you get Omicron does it protect you from the older strains?
Why does Omicron, the latest of the strains, simply not eat the other strains?

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
What about the immunocompermised people in their family? What about the immunocompermised people who would have to work?

Stop being so shortsighted, it's only hockey
Well, all of us non-millionaire athletes only get tested when we have symptoms. We are probably constantly surrounded by asymptomatic covid carriers. Same with the immunocompromised people you mentioned.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
What about the immunocompermised people in their family? What about the immunocompermised people who would have to work?

Stop being so shortsighted, it's only hockey
It's also my job to worry about.

I get it, you guys can keep worrying about a virus that has a 99.9% survival rate. I'm ready to move on and most others are too.

Reactions: supermann_98
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad