Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Bruins game 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Winning this game gives the Leafs a split going back home with full momentum and reverts f***ing up game 1. Lose this game and they're pretty much done. This one is for all of the marbles, imo.
The playoffs have proven time and again that there is no momentum between games. Also, no game 2 is ever for "all of the marbles" (except for the COVID bubble year, I suppose).

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It's close to our jam space so we occasionally hit it up. Dont think I ever had Arnold's. C&Dubbs unfortunately closed down back in January used to go here often. Always looking for new burger joints places in and around mimico/south Etobicoke!
I grew up in Alderwood, Red Cabin, Arnolds, C&Dubbs, Apache were all mainstays, too bad about C&Dubbs closing I liked that place. Ever try Il Paesano’s pizza? I grew up cutting my teeth on that pizza and that was in the 60’s……..

Robertson is out?
Damn, dressing 7 D?

Reactions: Metroid

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I thought the Leafs played pretty well Game 1 but the momentum of the game was working against them, like when Matthews missed the empty net and Bruins scored not long after. Once a few get by Sammy, the wheels are prone to falling off as well.

The playoffs are a fickle beast but I expect a bounce-back today.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
I grew up in Alderwood, Red Cabin, Arnolds, C&Dubbs, Apache were all mainstays, too bad about C&Dubbs closing I liked that place. Ever try Il Paesano’s pizza? I grew up cutting my teeth on that pizza and that was in the 60’s……..

Damn, dressing 7 D?
Sounds familiar, may have tried it, don't remember. Means I'll need a re-do to make sure.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Leafs usually win when they are not expected to. They are underdogs tonight.

1713819155591.png

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Hey I wasn't gonna do Game 2 since my GDT was bad luck for game 1? anyone want to step in for the GDT.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
They've adapted their breakouts pretty noticeably with less movement, less activation, fewer options and less skating. It's rare to see this D do anything beyond a reverse and up or throw it immediately back the direction it came.

The D responsibilities are largely stripped from where they were the past few years
Yep, though Keefe still has an annoying tendency to activate the entire defense in spots they really shouldn't. The other thing the D likes to do that annoys the shit out of me is ringing the puck around the boards every single time they want to get it out. Since they ALWAYS do that, you can see other teams' forecheckers move to the boards when one of our D-men has the puck in the defensive zone; they KNOW the D-man's probably going to throw it around the boards and out.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yep, though Keefe still has an annoying tendency to activate the entire defense in spots they really shouldn't. The other thing the D likes to do that annoys the shit out of me is ringing the puck around the boards every single time they want to get it out. Since they ALWAYS do that, you can see other teams' forecheckers move to the boards when one of our D-men has the puck in the defensive zone; they KNOW the D-man's probably going to throw it around the boards and out.
They ring because they lack the personnel to escape forechecks and make true outlet passes. It's an adaptation to the personnel we have that wasn't very common in years past because we could make better plays.

Our D don't activate much on the rush. They do pinch to maintain possession, as is common practice in the NHL for the past 10 or so years. D pinch, high fwd rotates for quick cover.

Personally I think we need to take more of the play to the middle of the ice, especially with our wingers being what they are, but it's risky with our D and most fans would say we're too risky as it is already (I'm not one of them)

Reactions: TorMapleJays

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
How do GDTs work for playoffs anyway ? I've never done one but had a cool idea

People usually just volunteer. If they win when you make the GDT you go again. IE, last year, my thread won game 6. So I went back for Game 1. This year they lost game 1, so was hoping someone else would step in.

Typically, people post early morning or late night, to get it up for 24 hours, but I've noticed nobody has done it today.

On home games, our thread gets moved to the main boards.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
They ring because they lack the personnel to escape forechecks and make true outlet passes. It's an adaptation to the personnel we have that wasn't very common in years past.
There's a play you can use here, called "flip the puck out". But it tends to lead to losing possession, so Keefe treats it like the plague. But you have to throw a few in or every team in the league is going to figure out how you like to get the puck out of your zone.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
There's a play you can use here, called "flip the puck out". But it tends to lead to losing possession, so Keefe treats it like the plague. But you have to throw a few in or every team in the league is going to figure out how you like to get the puck out of your zone.
They aren't really interchangeable in most cases. You need more time and space for a flip, the rim is usually under pressure.

A rim isn't a great possession play, more of a release valve. Not unlike the flip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad