Prospect Info: Leafs Board Prospect Ranking Final Result + Rankings from last 4 years

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
we really need some random guys to come out of nowhere and become stars. i cant think of a single second pick or later that we drafted that has become a legit star in the past ~10 years.

Avec Fromage*

These rankings are always silly. It just amounts to "who's the freshest pick and who's doing better right now."

Evidence of this is Aulie over Gardiner and Gauthier over Colborne.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Jesus, our prospect pool is terrible. We need some top end talent and potential game changers! not players that are expected to be 3rd/4th liners!

It's fairly middle of the pack-ish. The depth is great but the upside isn't quite there, especially upfront.

Not a whole lot of prospect pools have a ton of blue-chippers all across the board. There's always going to be weaknesses.

A top 6 of Rielly, Gauthier, Finn, Leivo, Percy and Biggs is nothing to sneeze at. Add under 25 players like Kadri, Gardiner and Colborne, I'd say it's solid. It could be a lot worst, a lot worst.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It's fairly middle of the pack-ish. The depth is great but the upside isn't quite there, especially upfront.

Not a whole lot of prospect pools have a ton of blue-chippers all across the board. There's always going to be weaknesses.

A top 6 of Rielly, Gauthier, Finn, Leivo, Percy and Biggs is nothing to sneeze at. Add under 25 players like Kadri, Gardiner and Colborne, I'd say it's solid. It could be a lot worst, a lot worst.

For an organization that held the record for the longest playoff drought heading into last season. Which meant drafting opportunities among the non playoff teams year after year to have an average prospect pool with limited top end players, and filled with mainly depth players is not very good. IMO

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
These rankings are always silly. It just amounts to "who's the freshest pick and who's doing better right now."

There really isn't much more than that to prospect lists though. A lot of people seem to think this should be some sort of accurate list we can use to predict the future, but good prospects bust and afterthoughts become stars all the time. It's always going to be a crapshoot that's vaguely accurate at best and there's nothing wrong with that. You have to go in assuming there will be mistakes, because there always will be.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
For the most part we are not that bad. When you consider Phaneuf, Kadri, Kessel, Gardiner, JVR, Lupul and others were all first round pics of ours and other teams we have some good talent.

This team lacks a true horse down the middle and a solid veteran d-man, not a super star but a solid player. I don't think we are that far off.

member 147413

For the most part we are not that bad. When you consider Phaneuf, Kadri, Kessel, Gardiner, JVR, Lupul and others were all first round pics of ours and other teams we have some good talent.

This team lacks a true horse down the middle and a solid veteran d-man, not a super star but a solid player. I don't think we are that far off.

Kadri was the only player drafted by us :laugh:

To be fair, it was much harder to build from within with JFJ and CF trading the future away every single year. Burke basically took other teams disappointments and turned them into success stories.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Just looking at that seeing we only have 4 grads, three really because Scrivens shouldn't count explains why we were in such a rut for so long.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Outstanding job Schenner.:handclap:

Interesting seeing perspectives of us fans and how they actually shake out over the years.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Outside of the few inherited prospects and this current last draft, That list of prospects for the most part covers the Burke years as GM and includes all his body of work.

Time will tell how it works out and how many players find their way onto the Leafs.

It does show already the limited success the "free wallet' players had in Leafs future.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010

I think the problem is, and I say this with no intent to offend, the average poster isn't too familiar with our prospects.

Also, there's not really a criteria on what to vote for. A majority of fans could vote a player who is about to make the NHL compared to a prospect with high potential that's farther away.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Its interesting that Keith Aulie ranked 3rd & 4th in 2010 & 2011 was dealt for Carter Ashton ranked 10th & 11th in 2012 & 2013.

That doesn't appear as improving the prospect system.

2010 looks scary with Aulie #3, Luca Caputi #4, Brad Ross #5, Marcel Mueller #6, Jussi Rynnas #9 etc.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Kadri was the only player drafted by us :laugh:

To be fair, it was much harder to build from within with JFJ and CF trading the future away every single year. Burke basically took other teams disappointments and turned them into success stories.

Most Burke trades were highway robberies with very few being fair and arguably only Versteeg and Aulie trades did not pay off big time (yet).
It's obvious that he was the man who traded bunch of scraps (excluding Beauchemin) for legitimate and young talent literally making this phoenix to raise from trashes.
5/6 of top two lines and 4 core Ds, enforcers and PK wizard. This team is still pretty much Burke's team and we should be thankful that we can look to the season with anticipation of good things (for a change). :handclap:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Looking at Leafs 2013 prospect ranking list with Gauthier #2, Colborne #4 and Biggs #5 and Dave Morrison recent comments suggesting these are future 3rd line type potential players it really emphasizes the lack of high end talent in the Leafs prospect pool.

Even if drafting is successful, your finding depth future players if everything works out with development.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Aulie was playing top pairing in the NHL and Gardiner was fresh out of college at the time of those rankings.

Gardiner had a phenomenal training camp and things changed pretty quickly, but nobody expected that. He was supposed to spend the year with the Marlies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
that's what I was thinking...man the cupboards were bare.

What is scary is that those are the players Burke brought in believing he was filling the cupboards.

It was the Stalberg, Tlusty, Stralman, Mitchell etc all NHLers he was replacing them with.

Hopefully some of the later replacements have more success then the early batch of replacements.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I remember arguing that leafs fans were seriously underrating gards and reims back in 2010. Of course, I was also guilty of overrating the likes of Olden and Stefanovich.

The D'Amigo overrank is understandable when you realize how much fans - and not just leafs fans - overrate WJC performance in general. It's just one short tournament, and should never be considered more important than the rest of the prospect's resume.

Let's do a re-rank of 2010 in retrospect:

1. Kadri - top-6 F / potential 1st liner
2. Gardiner - top-4 D / potential top-pair D
3. Reimer - starting goalie
----------
4. Frattin - 3rd line F / potential top-6
5. Scrivens - Backup Goalie
6. Aulie - Bottom Pair D / potential top-4
-----------
7. D'Amigo
8. McKegg
9. Holzer
10. Granberg/Blacker

Three frontline NHLers at the top, 3 more NHLers after that, and then another 5 decent prospects after that. Not really bad at all, actually.

Last edited:

goleafsgo88

Oct 6, 2010
Schenn - thx for the work you put in. I look forward to this each summer when there's downtime in the hockey!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad