Prospect Ranking #10

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Hello all, I will make a thread everyday until we have determined the top 30 prospects according to Leaf fans on HFBoards.

Rankings:

1. Timothy Liljegren -- 78.7%
2. Andreas Johnsson -- 86.2%
3. Carl Grundstrom -- 49.6%
4. Rasmus Sandin -- 86.2%
5. Sean Durzi -- 26.8%
6. Jeremy Bracco -- 31.3%
7. Yegor Korshkov -- 40.1%
8. Calle Rosen -- 36.8%
9. Pierre Engvall -- 34.6%

Filip Kral
Dmytro Timashov
Dakota Joshua
Miro Aaltonen
Fedor Gordeev
Riley Stotts
Mason Marchment
Igor Ozhiganov
Eemeli Rasanen
Joseph Woll
Adam Brooks
Semyon Der-Arguchintsev
Vladislav Kara
Jesper Lindgren
Trevor Moore

Martins Dzierkals
Kasimir Kaskisuo
JD Greenway
Nikolai Chebykin
Andrew Nielsen
Ian Scott
Ryan McGregor
Ryan O'Connell
Mac Hollowell
Pontus Holmberg
Zach Bouthillier
Semyon Kizimov
Eamon McAdam

Suggest who I should add next. :D

Reactions: Lauro

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
Was either Woll, Rasanen, Timashov for me. Went with Rasanen. 6'7 dman, 225lbs at 19. Hope it works out for him in the KHL though.

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
I voted Woll, he’s been solid since we drafted him.

I don’t understand the love for Rasanen, he didn’t improve this past season and now he’s going to the KHL, I don’t think that bodes well for his NHL hopes.

Reactions: Once

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Voted Ozi but missed Woll here.

Asides from Ozi not playing, he has the raw tools that our backend desperately needs. I am hoping that he is a better Polak, so a top 6 D player. I wouldn't expect any more than that which would make it a success.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Voted Woll.

Woll, SDA, Rasanan, Gordeev, Kral, Timashov, Brooks, Ozi should be the next 9 to go in some order, I would think.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Those are nice clips of Kral closing the gap. I see that he just came over to Canada this past year. Any idea about how he has adjusted to the NA game?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I voted Woll, he’s been solid since we drafted him.

I don’t understand the love for Rasanen, he didn’t improve this past season and now he’s going to the KHL, I don’t think that bodes well for his NHL hopes.

He’s going to the KHL but it’s the Finnish KHL team, just going home for a bit like Juolevi did last year and there’s no doubt he’s coming back to Vancouver. The play by Rasanen this year is an issue perhaps but IMO going back to Finland to play shouldn’t really be treated that different from a Swedish player going back to Sweden to play, just happens to be to thr best team in Finland who plays in the KHL.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Those are nice clips of Kral closing the gap. I see that he just came over to Canada this past year. Any idea about how he has adjusted to the NA game?

By all-accounts he had a very successful first season in Canada. Adapted very well to the style of the game, except scouts think his defense is lacking behind his strong offensive abilities. He was also on the 2nd pairing/2nd PP all season because both he and Ty Smith (<3) were forced to play on the right-side. I'd be very interested to see him play on the Left next season back in his natural position to see if he can improve his in zone defense.

Based on Mitch Brown's tracker, he came away as one of the three best defenseman in neutral zone play in NA with K'Andre Miller and Rasmus Sandin; as you saw in those videos. He's also fantastic in transition, and creating offense. Best asset is probably his skating.

I'm more exicted about his long-term future than I am Durzi, and I had him rated just outside the first round.

Reactions: stymie and Hurt

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Why is Leafs Nation sleeping Ozhiganov?

Because we're not sure what we've got here, the all-star from last season or the guy who got shuttled down the line up this season. And he's 25, so not exactly a spring chicken when it comes to prospects who've never played a game in NA.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Why is Leafs Nation sleeping Ozhiganov?

Realistically, most of us don't know what we have in him.

By all-accounts he had a very successful first season in Canada. Adapted very well to the style of the game, except scouts think his defense is lacking behind his strong offensive abilities. He was also on the 2nd pairing/2nd PP all season because both he and Ty Smith (<3) were forced to play on the right-side. I'd be very interested to see him play on the Left next season back in his natural position to see if he can improve his in zone defense.

Based on Mitch Brown's tracker, he came away as one of the three best defenseman in neutral zone play in NA with K'Andre Miller and Rasmus Sandin; as you saw in those videos. He's also fantastic in transition, and creating offense. Best asset is probably his skating.

I'm more exicted about his long-term future than I am Durzi, and I had him rated just outside the first round.

Thanks for the great answer, Morgs. Hopefully he can materialize into something substantial as having an abundance of quality Dmen coming through the system is never a problem.

Reactions: Morgs

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
My personal rankings would go
  1. Liljegren
  2. Johnsson
  3. Sandin
  4. Grundstrom
  5. Bracco
  6. Durzi
  7. Korshkov
  8. Engvall
  9. Woll
  10. SDA
  11. Rasanen
  12. Rosen
  13. Brooks
  14. Stotts
  15. Timashov
  16. Moore
  17. Kral
  18. Marchment
  19. Gordeev
  20. Greenway
  21. Lindgren
  22. Scott
  23. Holmberg
  24. McGregor
  25. Nielsen
  26. Kara
  27. Hollowell
  28. Kizimov
  29. Joshua
  30. Bouthillier
  31. Dzierkals
  32. Pinnich
  33. Chebykin
  34. Bobylev
  35. O'Connell

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Voted for the WALL.
Hard to know really since NCAA is basically impossible to watch,
but he has by any account, played very well.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Voted for the WALL.
Hard to know really since NCAA is basically impossible to watch,
but he has by any account, played very well.

I'm really excited about him. He improved his game last season, and I fully expect his name to be talked about around the NHL this year. 6'4, 202, fluid movement in the net. I expect him to play this year at Boston College, and then jump to the Marlies once the school season is over, though I suppose having him finish his schooling isn't a bad thing.

This kid has a serious chance of being our next starter after Freddy, however, I say that knowing that goalie prospects can lose their game, seemingly overnight

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Woll and Timashov getting no respect! Nitro should be ahead of Bracco (who probably shouldn't be ranked yet) at this point in time, considering he has been a regular for 2 seasons with the Marlies and his ceiling is pretty much the same as JB's...

My personal rankings:

1. Liljegren
  2. Johnsson
  3. Grundstrom
  4. Sandin
  5. Korshkov
  6. Timashov
  7. Durzi
  8. Rosen
  9. Woll
  10. Moore
  11. Bracco
  12. Engvall
  13. Ozhiganov
  14. Brooks
  15. Kaskisuo
  16. Der-Arguchintsev
  17. Rasanen
  18. Marchment
  19. Nielsen
  20. Lindgren
  21. Dzierkals
  22. Stotts
  23. Hollowell
  24. Kara
  25. Gordeev
  26. Scott
  27. Greenway
  28. Holmberg
  29. Kizimov
  30. Bouthillier

• 1-10 are the guys who will make the NHL in some capacity, and/or have Top 6/4/Starter upside.
  • 11-19 are the guys who have upside, but need to prove they can come close to it/they can take a regular shift in the NHL. These guys are more interchangeable, except Nielsen, who I'd keep in the group for now, but is definitely the bottom of it.
  • 20-30 are guys who I look at as boom/bust. Their ceilings are potentially higher than some of the guys above them, but the likelihood they turn out is a lot lower.
  • The rest, I don't have as prospects right now, and view them all as completely interchangeable, but that can obviously change if they put up a solid year.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
What a terrible list, so far.

Every year, this poll ranking is bad.

I love both Rosen and Engvall but come on.

Reactions: Morgs

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
What a terrible list, so far.

Every year, this poll ranking is bad.

I love both Rosen and Engvall but come on.

it's always a what have you done for me lately, most people just watched the Marlies win the calder cup so it's no wonder guys like Rosen/Engvall are on the list they had a good 20 games, but imo there ceilings are 3rd pairing/4th liners in the NHL.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
it's always a what have you done for me lately, most people just watched the Marlies win the calder cup so it's no wonder guys like Rosen/Engvall are on the list they had a good 20 games, but imo there ceilings are 3rd pairing/4th liners in the NHL.

Sure. And let's completely forget that Keefe going on about Rosen being his most reliable defensemen of 2017-2018 and Engvall having a better year than Korshkov and also showing tremendous progress over the last year in both the SHL and for the Marlies, not to mention having a combination of size, speed and skillset no other prospect in our system has.

It may seem strange to you, but some of us are actually willing to give our Calder Cup winning Coach the benefit of the doubt on his assessments.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad