Post-Game Talk: Leafs beat Rags 3-2 OT

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Morgan Rielly played over 28 minutes and was a plus 1 tonight.

The eye test provides nothing more than a visual confirmation solely through the filter of a pre-existing bias

"The eye test provides nothing more than a visual confirmation solely through the filter of a pre-existing bias"

You have an excellent career in politics ahead of you. :)

Reactions: egd27 and geo25

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Lilly is showing why he was supposed to be a top 2 pick in his draft year before he got mono

Absolute stud
What's interesting is he's doing it in completely different way. He was touted as an elite offensive player with questionable defense, but he's really been more of a defensive presence in the NHL who just doesn't get scored on. I think he still has another level to reach offensively and has the potential to be one of the best defensemen in the league

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
What's interesting is he's doing it in completely different way. He was touted as an elite offensive player with questionable defense, but he's really been more of a defensive presence in the NHL who just doesn't get scored on. I think he still has another level to reach offensively and has the potential to be one of the best defensemen in the league

Gotta give Toronto’s management team credit for patience and commitment to developing him into a solid dman.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
That makes sense and you’re probably right but in fairness he does seem to overthink often..also I’ve never been convinced a guy graduating from a tough program proves high intelligence, he might just be extremely hard working

To be fair he is also a decent NHL player. Pretty sure he is really talented and smarter than average :laugh:

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018
3B8F1DF7-B817-4A39-94F9-F96B9771001E.jpeg

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
My 3

1. You need to ask?

2 Timothy Liljegren His progression this year has been phenominal, he's making plays, his reads are above average especially when getting the puck up the ice to the right place on transition, I'd like to see him carry a bit more especially on the long change when taking possession, curl around the net and move it up the LW make the play around the net for the fresh winger coming on. Other than that his numbers are getting better game after game proving out the eye candy we've been seeing. You cannot hurt the team trying him with Reilly while Brodie is still getting back to full health, Holl just isnt the right guy. There was a thread about rating Dmen and while I see Brodie still having the edge as long as his wheels stay intact. Pair up Liljegren with Holl as the 3/4 with Gio paired with either Sandin or Timmins.

3. Mitch Marner That 3v3 goal was art, it was athletic and smart and could be a candidate for maybe EC goal of the year, hell maybe the entire NHL, maybe. I thought Mitch had a lot more ups than downs, but we'd be lying to ourselves if we ignored the blemishes, I'd say that Mitch is suffering a little bit of the "set Matty up" syndrome, and so it kind throws off his normal rhythm, and as dumb as you think it sounds, he'll probably need 4 or 5 games for the two of them to get into sync, so those looking for you passes stop distracting him. Matty scored 60 with him so you know they work.

OK OK for those that needed to ask! The first star is obviously #35 Ilya Samsonov, again he saved the Leafs asses when they took a whole bunch of stretches off, got careless with the puck, decided to do slippy spinny spreadies in of all places the slot while for some reason trying to maintain a tie game after they already gave a lead away. Why isn't the team putting the pressure on and takin control of a team they could possibly meet in the playoffs, especially in what was getting to be a scrappy game wallpapering a couple of Leafs and looking like they're ready to do more damage. I'm not saying the Leafs just laid down but they were looking pacified by the Rags physicality. But they said no uh uh no way, we're at home we're a better team and if not for 3 misses and a late post this doesn't require OT.

Sens Friday they can be a good young team, but they're in tough with injuries. They get scored on a lot and lately their powder is little wet, PP isn't effective right now, and not a lot clicking 5v5. This is a trap game, the Leafs better be ready, start on time, be on their toes, be strapped in tight, prepared, and be mobile, agile and hostile if they want both points, they've got to make sure Dirty Murr's crease is his and his alone, make sure he sees the shots and get the first goal for him and don't let the Senators breath.

enough cliches for now

GLG

Last edited:

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
To be fair he is also a decent NHL player. Pretty sure he is really talented and smarter than average :laugh:
Well of course, if you make the NHL you are already one of the most talented hockey players in the world. But I dont think anyone here is comparing Kerfoot to themselves lol. He is being compared to other hockey players. I meant no disrespect to Kerfoot, my point was simply that there is often this notion that he needs to be some kind of a genius to have studied at Harvard which can be exaggerated. Also even if he does have genius level intellect, doesn’t mean it has to translate to the ice.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Wow, didn’t know that.
Maybe he will buy the Sens.

Yeah his father owns the Whitecaps among other things and is supposed to be worth like 2B which includes a lot of liquidity because of some great success in the computing world

Alex has a business degree, which kind of works out perfect.

Reactions: Gabriel426

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Excellent game by Sammy.

I could have sworn Willy passed the puck to Gio. Watched it six times before I caught the fake and shot. Great anticipation by Lilly.

Beauty goal by Mitch - more than made up for the flubs on their second.

Reactions: crump

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Great game, amazing OT goal by Marner. I haven’t jumped out of my seat and scared the cat screaming for a goal in ages.

Lilly showing once again he’s more than ready for prime time. If only the coach game him some PP time it would be nice to see a PP point man who could actually hit the net with a shot once in awhile.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Lilly is showing why he was supposed to be a top 2 pick in his draft year before he got mono

Absolute stud
yup, just took a little tiny bit of patience to let him develop.
FFS, he is only 23!!!!

Jonas Siegel was saying a few weeks back that he'd trade Liljegren for Horvat
yeah, he is an idiot

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Jonas Siegel was saying a few weeks back that he'd trade Liljegren for Horvat
Jonas is also a hottake artist. Just like the other media guys. It's just that he does it in a soft-spoken kind of way which makes you feel like he's less of a dumbarse than the others. He isn't.

Reactions: kb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad