Post-Game Talk: Leafs beat Penguins - bernyay!

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
where the bernie haters at

WOOT WOOT

where the bernie haters at

WOOT WOOT

I'm glad to see him get some wins but Reimer still seems like the better player right now, and I doubt management has Bernier in their long-term plans.

Unless they use this season to get Bernier signed for 4-5 years at $1.5M or less.

Bernier's record in 2015 ends as 10-30-7, or a 36.1 Win%...

Is that the record of a goalie you want to give another extension too?

Last edited:

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
HrH3nY1.jpg

Classy stuff from Hornqvist. That was a really cool moment, Bernier's huge smile is just awesome.

Somebody should have put him on his ass for hitting our goalie.

OvenMittz*

HMOd4Bi.gif

showing bermier some love. #classy
If my lip reading skills are correct,
I think he's saying "F***, i can't score on you....F***!!"

Either way, its pretty risky putting your glove on another goalie, you can tell at first Bernier seemed as if he was going to be pissed (since that never happens), but then saw Hornqvist reaction and realized it was meant to be a compliment.

spidergoalie

Aug 9, 2009
Kamloops, BC, Canada
I really loved his game and it wasn't just about him making saves but how he stayed not only patient but didn't go straight to butterfly.

I'm NO goalie expert, but most big guys these days are pure blockers and it seems different with this kid.

Anyone who watches him or knows about him, would you say his stand-up/butterfly/hybrid goalie?

None of those terms mean anything anymore.
There hasn't really been a "stand-up" goalie since Kirk McLean.
I don't think there has been a pure butterfly goalie since Giguere retired.

Every goalie uses a variety of save movements, and every goalie uses the butterfly as a base to work from. It's really only a matter of patience in when they go down, and how long they stay down.
All goalies now are so heavily coached from an early age, and many have attended the same camps as each other, that there is not really a ton of individuality in terms of a goalie's style anymore. This part of why there aren't a ton of "star" goalies anymore. I mean there is Price, Quick and Lundqvist, but more and more younger goalies are more or less interchangeable. I think the era of the veteran goalie is coming to an end too, because there is always a younger cheaper guy who plays the same textbook style waiting in the wings. Only a handful of traits can set a modern goalie apart, such as puck handling, mental toughness and being clutch.

Having only seen him play in this game I cannot make an educated comment on him.

As far as how entertaining this game was, let's hope Bettman and a few GMs see it. Maybe they will discover that the key to exciting hockey is flow and scoring chances, not higher scores achieved by changing the goalie rules every other season or this nonsense of making the nets bigger.

Gramsci

Jul 31, 2003
Toronto
My first irritation with Babcock: Hunwick.

He got 28:37 of ice time last night, far more than any other player. In part due to the 5 penalties the Leafs had to kill, it's way too much for a player of his calibre.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
My first irritation with Babcock: Hunwick.

He got 28:37 of ice time last night, far more than any other player. In part due to the 5 penalties the Leafs had to kill, it's way too much for a player of his calibre.

Actually, that's good coaching. Babcock recognizes who is playing well and who isn't from shift to shift, and he adjusts accordingly. It isn't like Hunwick gets that all the time.

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
Actually, that's good coaching. Babcock recognizes who is playing well and who isn't from shift to shift, and he adjusts accordingly. It isn't like Hunwick gets that all the time.

So Hunwick was our best D last night?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Bernier took care of Kessel & Babcock took care of the rest and Leafs win.

3 points now separate the Pens and Leafs in the standings and I wonder how long before we over take them ?

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

Yeah, I'm not ticked off with that. I think this was the 4th time he played over 25 minutes.

He did play a lot more than all the other defencemen, but a majority of his ice-time was on the penalty kill. He basically played the same amount on the PK that Marincin played in the entire game.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
It is interesting that the threads right now seem to be busier when certain players / the team play badly vs when they give a good effort. What does that say about us as a fanbase?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It was nice to see Bernier win a game the team shouldn't have won.

The Patrick Hornqvist stuff is ridiculous. Hornqvist was acting snakebitten after Bernier stopped him from the high slot on an open shot aimed for Bernier's five hole. NHL goalies should stop that one. And patting the opposition goalie on the head is patronizing in a competitive game.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

The Patrick Hornqvist stuff is ridiculous. Hornqvist was acting snakebitten after Bernier stopped him from the high slot on an open shot aimed for Bernier's five hole. NHL goalies should stop that one. And patting the opposition goalie on the head is patronizing in a competitive game.

That's a weird take.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It is interesting that the threads right now seem to be busier when certain players / the team play badly vs when they give a good effort. What does that say about us as a fanbase?

I've reacted on it before and got the response that it's because when things are good, people tend to agree and just celebrate together, not much discussion is born from that. When things go bad, especially for a scapegoat, people vent and others defend them, so discussions are born. There's also a difference in that people usually need the forum to vent, but can celebrate by themselves.

Sounds plausible to me. However, the main "problem" is that many see the season as a throw-away and don't bother checking in.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
he's been playing quite well for more than one game. Playing well for enough games to at least give the hint that he's recovering. The stretch of bad games has been broken for sure. So does that mean the slump is over? Probably need a bit more time to determine that, but he's on his way.

He gave up 6 goals on 15 shots the night before. Let's see if he can string together at least a few solid performances in a row.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

Are we seriously getting that deep into this?

He said that he couldn't score on him at the end of the game when they were putting the gauntlet down in the Leafs end and Bernier robbed them.

They both laughed about it and so did the ref when he skated by.

That's honestly all there was to it. Don't think about it. It's not a conspiracy. It's not patronizing him.

He gave him props. That's it.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
As far as how entertaining this game was, let's hope Bettman and a few GMs see it. Maybe they will discover that the key to exciting hockey is flow and scoring chances, not higher scores achieved by changing the goalie rules every other season or this nonsense of making the nets bigger.

I agree with your first part, it's legitimate scoring chances people care about not the final score.

I disagree with the second, the biggest reason for the decline is the amount of coaching/structure. Teams attempt to force everything to the outside and take very little risks. That works because shots from those locations, while occasionally going in, are very unlikely to. By increasing the scoring % from all areas, teams are forced to become more aggressive as those perimeter shots are now more of a threat. That then opens the game up as mistakes are more likely everywhere and good chances will result.

The biggest mistake made in these conversations is trying to look at any proposed change in a vacuum, the game won't be played exactly the same with any change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad