Pre-Game Talk: Leafs at Sharks | NOV. 26th 10:30 PM | SNO

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Makes zero sense to me. They don't play again until Sunday. The only starts Woll should see are back to backs and if Campbell's banged up (maybe he is?).

Giving Campbell an extra night off isn't bad. He's had a lot of starts already, I think most in the NHL. Testing Woll is good too. Mrazek will come back in about a week or so too.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I think it’s a good call. Campbell is on pace for like 60 plus games. If we can squeeze some games like this where Woll can start when the team is playing good they should do it.

On a side note playing Woll a bit more till Mrazek gets better might be a good idea so we can get a sense if he can be a viable back up option.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I don't mind the call to go back to Woll tmw. I thought he played well enough in his last start to warrant another game. It's valuable experience if you ask me. Truth be told, if the boys play their game it really shouldn't come down to goaltending either. Case in point Woll's last start. Trying not to take anything away from him, because he still needed to make some saves, but if there is such a thing as an "unimpressive shutout" that was it. He maybe had to be sharp like 2-3 times that game.

As long as we play how we've been playing the last month, and Woll doesn't legit have a Hutch night, we should be fine.

Soup deserves some rest, he's earned it

I also think from what we've seen on social media that Woll is a happy go lucky dude that the team seems to really like. I think this is kind of one of those games where Keefe has an unspoken message to the boys to go out there and play for the guy. Make it easy for him.

I like the call

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Don’t mind the Goalie choice either . And best to start Woll against the Sharks rather than the high flying Ducks. Campbell gets important rest and it’s another test for Woll.

Glad Kampf seems Ok.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Makes zero sense to me. They don't play again until Sunday. The only starts Woll should see are back to backs and if Campbell's banged up (maybe he is?).
You can't overwork Jack by playing him every possible game. Campbell has never held a starter workload over a full season so you need to be careful

Reactions: Macallan18

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
They're most likely trying to control how much Jack plays. I think it's a rarity anymore that a goalie is playing 65 plus games.

I'm thinking by the next back to back maybe they think Mzarek is ready then? They said retroactive the 4th of November... 4 weeks is December 2nd and next back to back is 4th and 5th.

Give the kid another shot. The first game he was shaky. The second he played pretty solid with good d. Leafs can usually play good D now.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
A lot of winning goes a long way with me. I have no issue with Woll in net for this game since the team finds itself in a good place by way of the current standings.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
jack might have averaged 25 games a season at most over his nhl career. management and holiday breaks will be needed.

woll's in net we haven't lost. might as well see what the kid can do until he shows he needs more time in the ahl.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada

Holl's place may not be solidified.

It shouldn't be. Dude looks gassed all the time and gets beat along the boards a lot. He's the 7th D to me and shouldn't play unless there's an injury.

Sandin and Liljegren will pass him in the depth chart by end of year... hell it's already close and they're 7 and 8 years younger. Sorry for the Holl fans out there but I think Holl is what you see what you get... the 2 younger guys are playing well and look to have some real potential.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I like the idea of an ongoing rotation depending on who is playing well, but I don't know if Sandin or Liljegren should be part of it unless they really start to struggle in multiple games in a row. the upside with them is just way higher than Dermott/Holl and they've had way fewer bad nights

James Blackley

Nov 7, 2021

Makes perfect sense. Dubas never viewed Campell as the #1 going into this season, he wouldn't have signed Mrazek to a long term deal if he felt Soup was the true #1. Injuries have forced Soup into playing far more games than Dubas/Keefe anticipated, so, it is well within reason to give Woll a rare start, and besides, he did play solid against the Isles last outing.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If the back up only plays back to back how many starts would Campbell make? You had to figure Woll would play once in California

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Sure, I get it but is this the time? It's a pretty loose schedule the next several days. Just an opinion.
IMO, the team was always going to be Friday or Sunday. They picked Friday, I don’t think it matters anyway.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
This is what I wanted so I cannot complain if it doesn’t work out

We are playing some of our best hockey, on both sides of the ice so it’s a perfect time to put woll in.

I also want to see how good woll really is, he had the first game jitters against Buffalo, but was insanely calm and collected looking against Islanders, this should be a gauge as to see what he is

Anaheim will actually be a tough game since they are actually better offensively and defensively then the sharks, so I’d rather have Campbell

Reactions: Burnie97

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
This is what I wanted so I cannot complain if it doesn’t work out

We are playing some of our best hockey, on both sides of the ice so it’s a perfect time to put woll in.

I also want to see how good woll really is, he had the first game jitters against Buffalo, but was insanely calm and collected looking against Islanders, this should be a gauge as to see what he is

Anaheim will actually be a tough game since they are actually better offensively and defensively then the sharks, so I’d rather have Campbell

San Jose also has a lot of big point shots which are a weakness for us, it'll be a good test to see how well Woll tracks through traffic.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad