Confirmed with Link: Leafs Announce Development Camp Roster

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
So Kressler is like reclaiming a late pick, and there’s interesting upside invites who could earn an ELC.

I’ll be curious to hear about Joe Miller’s camp. He and Koster are the college kids who might surprise this year.

Reactions: Menzinger

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
So Kressler is like reclaiming a late pick, and there’s interesting upside invites who could earn an ELC.

I’ll be curious to hear about Joe Miller’s camp. He and Koster are the college kids who might surprise this year.
I'd say Kressler is basically like accumulating a 6th/7th round pick. Nothing to get overly excited about but with proper development, could turn into something useful. Obviously, could also turn into nothing at all.

I really hope they sign Pano Fimis out of this camp.

JTK1967

Jul 15, 2009
Windsor
We are getting awfully close to the contract limit though.
Might be an issue where we may want to sign a guy or two from here, but also still want to go out and get more F.A's if we move Kerfoot or Holl.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Might be an issue where we may want to sign a guy or two from here, but also still want to go out and get more F.A's if we move Kerfoot or Holl.
Definitely an issue. For me, Fimis is one of these guys that had his develpment delayed by the missed COVID season in the OHL (would have been his rookie season). I fully expect him to have a huge year this year (80-100 points in the OHL).

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I'd say Kressler is basically like accumulating a 6th/7th round pick. Nothing to get overly excited about but with proper development, could turn into something useful. Obviously, could also turn into nothing at all.

I really hope they sign Pano Fimis out of this camp.
I’d agree on the valuation. There’s one or two kids this year who’d equate the same way. I’m on board with Pano if he excels.

Any ELC would slide tho, no?

Reactions: Thornbury

JTK1967

Jul 15, 2009
Windsor
I’d agree on the valuation. There’s one or two kids this year who’d equate the same way. I’m on board with Pano if he excels.

Any ELC would slide tho, no?
Long as they are going to the minors, if they are going to the AHL or back to Europe it counts.
But it also put you in a position where it forces you next year to move guys you may not want to.

Id be looking for a Gogolev, McMann, Rindel for 1 slightly better AHLer type deal. Move out 3 guys who likely dont have NHL upside for someone who may in the right circumstance.
Go after a team who is in a rebuild and may be willing to trade 3 nickles for a dime.

Maybe Philly with Ratcliffe or Marody? Or a bubble guy who make a bunch of $ in the AHL like Patrick Brown?
or Seattle for Alex True?

Other nice thing, is it gives more room to guys who need playing time and have a better chance of making a real NHL impact.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Long as they are going to the minors, if they are going to the AHL or back to Europe it counts.
But it also put you in a position where it forces you next year to move guys you may not want to.

Id be looking for a Gogolev, McMann, Rindel for 1 slightly better AHLer type deal. Move out 3 guys who likely dont have NHL upside for someone who may in the right circumstance.
Go after a team who is in a rebuild and may be willing to trade 3 nickles for a dime.

Maybe Philly with Ratcliffe or Marody? Or a bubble guy who make a bunch of $ in the AHL like Patrick Brown?
or Seattle for Alex True?

Other nice thing, is it gives more room to guys who need playing time and have a better chance of making a real NHL impact.
It's strictly by age. If a player is junior age (under 20), the contract slides unless the player is in the NHL for 10 games. 20 and older there is no slide.

Leafed

Jan 28, 2009
Joshua Kloke speculating that Avery Hayes might leave camp with an ELC

"To my eyes, the early undrafted frontrunner to land a contract this year is 19-year-old forward Avery Hayes, who just ended his third OHL season by finishing second in scoring (79 points in 66 games) on the OHL champion Hamilton Bulldogs.

While wearing no. 67, Hayes consistently showcased a great shot, a smooth stride and standout puck skills. And, much like Kressler, he’s a shifty player who seemingly has an insistence on continued movement. He’s only 5-foot-10 and 174 pounds, but the way he plays with his head constantly up and surveying the ice around him, his size shouldn’t be considered a detriment.

Hayes’ most notable moment came with a nifty deke on a breakaway goal that had Kyle Dubas, standing overhead, howling in approval. Keep an eye on him."

Reactions: SprDaVE

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

"To my eyes, the early undrafted frontrunner to land a contract this year is 19-year-old forward Avery Hayes, who just ended his third OHL season by finishing second in scoring (79 points in 66 games) on the OHL champion Hamilton Bulldogs.

While wearing no. 67, Hayes consistently showcased a great shot, a smooth stride and standout puck skills. And, much like Kressler, he’s a shifty player who seemingly has an insistence on continued movement. He’s only 5-foot-10 and 174 pounds, but the way he plays with his head constantly up and surveying the ice around him, his size shouldn’t be considered a detriment.

Hayes’ most notable moment came with a nifty deke on a breakaway goal that had Kyle Dubas, standing overhead, howling in approval. Keep an eye on him."

He needs a new number.

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Seems like a few really good invites this camp. Unfortunately can't sign them all.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Not sure he is a guy I'd give an ELC, but if he wants to leave the OHL early, there is an AHL contract and a Growlers spot waiting for him.

Not sure he has consistently done enough to earn more than that at this point.

It may be early for him to get an ELC, but I imagine the Leafs are keeping close tabs on him this season.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Not sure he is a guy I'd give an ELC, but if he wants to leave the OHL early, there is an AHL contract and a Growlers spot waiting for him.

Not sure he has consistently done enough to earn more than that at this point.

It may be early for him to get an ELC, but I imagine the Leafs are keeping close tabs on him this season.

I'd jump on Fimis now. I believe he's going to have a massive season this year. Such a weird case where he was 2nd overall in the OHL draft and then his rookie season gets wiped out by COVID.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I'd jump on Fimis now. I believe he's going to have a massive season this year. Such a weird case where he was 2nd overall in the OHL draft and then his rookie season gets wiped out by COVID.

I am still not entirely convinced. I don't think he is going to be a triple digit guy next year but will probably be a guy who is one in his D+2.

I think he can put up big points in the OHL, maybe even over a PPG if he has high end line mates, but I can't really shake Logan Morrison vibes in where he just does not have enough dynamic ability to truly make it as an NHLer despite some promising features. Another apt-comparison would be a guy like Adam Brooks.

Give him an invite to any kind of rookie tournament and see how he does there. Same with Jelsma. At this point it is looking like all of the CHLers we invited except a couple of defensemen will have a spot on the Rookie Tournament roster, and even then, we'd only have 14 forwards (last year we brought 15). This is assuming there are no NCAA or Euros and we do not invite anyone who did not attend rookie camp (including Ovchinnikov, who I am guessing is staying in Russia next year). I fully expect the Marlies will add a few more AHL contract guys to put on the Growlers after the August 15th NCAA rights expire, like Hellickson, so those guys will likely take a spot or two away from a fringy CHL guy like McGurn or Alfano.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

All of the goalies looked good throughout the scrimmage on Tuesday, especially newly-drafted and signed goaltending prospect Dennis Hildeby.

The almost six-foot-six netminder brings a lot to the Leafs organization, and it’s not just his height. His ability to always be square to the puck while moving around with that size has been something I’ve noticed early on

Tverberg was one of the players who’s stood out throughout Leafs development camp, but never got on the board in the first scrimmage. Along with him, there are a number of other players who’ve looked good but didn’t produce in the first showing.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

All of the goalies looked good throughout the scrimmage on Tuesday, especially newly-drafted and signed goaltending prospect Dennis Hildeby.

The almost six-foot-six netminder brings a lot to the Leafs organization, and it’s not just his height. His ability to always be square to the puck while moving around with that size has been something I’ve noticed early on

Tverberg was one of the players who’s stood out throughout Leafs development camp, but never got on the board in the first scrimmage. Along with him, there are a number of other players who’ve looked good but didn’t produce in the first showing.
Thanks for posting. Just from reading, guys like Voit, Villeneuve, goalies, Tverberg and Knies have had standout camps. Interesting though Knies said he wasn'f happy with his first scrimmage so looking for improvement tomorrow.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Thanks for posting. Just from reading, guys like Voit, Villeneuve, goalies, Tverberg and Knies have had standout camps. Interesting though Knies said he wasn'f happy with his first scrimmage so looking for improvement tomorrow.

and really they should stand out against recent draft picks, and invitees.. they are older, more developed, and if a guy like Villeneuve, or Knies can't stand out here, there wouldn't be hope for them.

Reactions: stickty111

Growler

May 16, 2018
These contracts would slide, so not an issue. Avery Hayes I think might be an exception because I believe he turns 20 before the end of the year. But guys like Panis, Nguyen, Jelsma etc. are fine. I'd be open to see 1 or 2 NHL contracts signed if they perform well, along with Larsen and Renwick to AHL deals. Maybe try to get Logan Morrison in Dallas' Camp to an AHL deal too.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
These contracts would slide, so not an issue. Avery Hayes I think might be an exception because I believe he turns 20 before the end of the year. But guys like Panis, Nguyen, Jelsma etc. are fine. I'd be open to see 1 or 2 NHL contracts signed if they perform well, along with Larsen and Renwick to AHL deals. Maybe try to get Logan Morrison in Dallas' Camp to an AHL deal too.

They become an issue eventually, just not right now.

The interesting part will be who goes to the rookie tournament out of this, and which of the Marlies are going to come in and fill spots. That is how you will tell who has a legit shot at an ELC. The second scrimmage will probably reveal a lot but I think the tournament lines look something like this:

Lisowsky-Minten-Ellis
???-Kressler-Voit
Jelsma-Fimis-Ward
Centazzo-Slaggert-Hayes
???-???-Nguyen

???-Villeneuve
Rifai-Rindell
Hoefenmayer-Miller
Larsen-Siepmann

Petruzzelli-Cavallin
Costantini

Invites

AHL Contracts

Last year they filled the entire roster with development camp guys and Hellickson, who was an AHL contract signing out of the NCAA once his rights expired in mid-August. Last year we had a lot more CHL invitees though, and NCAA guys can't attend... So it will be interesting to see how we fill out the roster. We still need some depth Growlers on forward and at LD to replace Rubins, so I can see us dipping into that mid-August NCAA market again. There are also a handful of Marlies who would benefit from the tournament. So we may only see a few invitees this year (namely Fimis, Jelsma, Hayes, and Larsen as the most intriguing ones; the rest are mostly filler).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad