Leafs All-Time Team Vote: #2 Defenseman

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Leafs All-Time Team Vote: Second Line Centre
With the Leafs Centennial Season coming up, I think it'd be interesting to see who Leafs fans would vote for when creating an All-Time team. After 100 years and 1000's of players, many greats have donned the blue and white and represented the city of Toronto. Who makes the cut and who doesn't when it comes to creating a team of the greatest Leafs ever?

Rules:

1. Players must have played a minimum of three seasons for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

2. Players must be voted on for their respective positions, so the polls will only feature players in their natural positions (defensemen exempt, fretting over left D vs right D is a bit much).

3. Consider what these players did in their time as Leafs. The rest of their career doesn't matter.

Current options for Leafs All-Time #2 D:

Bobby Baun

Bill Barilko

Carl Brewer

King Clancy

Hap Day

Red Horner

Tim Horton

Al Iafrate

Tomáš Kaberle

Bryan McCabe

Babe Pratt

Marcel Pronovost

Allan Stanley

Jimmy Thomson

(If you have any player suggestions, just let me know in a post).

Current All-Time Roster:

Mahovlich-Sundin-Conacher
(#2LW)-Gilmour-(#2RW)
(#3LW)-(#3C)-(#3RW)
(#4LW)-(#4C)-(#4RW)

Salming-(#2D)
(#3D)-(#4D)
(#5D)-(#6D)

Bower
(#2G)

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Yup and why Brexit has many Britons questioning democracy. Lol. All good. It's a popularity contest after all.

Churchill has a few good quotes on the subject:

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others."

“The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.â€

Just curiosa. My favorite Churchill quote is: "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.â€

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

“The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”

Just curiosa. My favorite Churchill quote is: "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.”

Those are good ones! This November's vote south of the border will be even more eye opening is this regard.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Timmy Horton and Borje Salming are the best 2 Dmen to ever lace them up for the Leafs as impact players at their positions.

Horton would actually come ahead slightly by those that say both play.

Both are considered in the top 10 of Leafs all-time bests all positions.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I take it that the people who voted for Bryan McCabe are actually comedy writers masquerading as Leafs fans.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
An historical note: the first ever NHL all star team was named after the 1930-31 season. The Leafs' King Clancy was a first team all star defenseman. Clancy appeared on the first four all star teams, twice on the first and twice on the second.

Clancy would be a good choice here, though I voted for Tim Horton. The reason I didn't vote for Clancy here is that his best seasons were actually as an original Ottawa Senator, preceding his blockbuster trade to the Leafs. People have forgotten how great a player Clancy was. When he retired, he was the leading scorer among defensemen all time, to that point.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

“The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.â€

Just curiosa. My favorite Churchill quote is: "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.â€

Churchill would have led the Brexit campaign. :laugh:

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Is Bill Barilko on the poll because he's mentioned in a Tragically Hip song? Phanuef is much more deserving to be on this list.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Is Bill Barilko on the poll because he's mentioned in a Tragically Hip song? Phanuef is much more deserving to be on this list.

Prob cause he won four cups and scored the cup winning goal before he went missing

LeafErikson

Schwifty 24/7
Jun 23, 2004
Victoria B.C.
As much as I love Dougie, him being your #2 center ahead of Keon is ridiculous. I get the generational thinking here, most of you likely never saw Keon play (neither did I), but do some reading and try to understand what these guys accomplished as a Leaf. I would argue it's easy to put Keon and Sittler ahead of Gilmour.

crkkh

Aug 13, 2010
Toronto

Barilko won 4 Stanley Cups and appeared in 3 All Star games in his 5 year career...you could build a Hall of Fame defence with him in your 6...:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad