Prospect Info: Leafs' 2019 5th-round (#146) -- Michael Koster - 5' 9"/172 lbs HIGH-MN CHASKA

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Mike Koster at eliteprospects.com

Pronman:

Koster had a successful season. He was a top player for USA at the Hlinka Gretzky, was one of the best players in Minnesota high school and had a solid end of the season at the USHL level. Koster is a fantastic puck-moving defenseman whose offensive hockey sense is among the best in the draft for defensemen. He’s a true power play QB in how well he surveys options and picks apart defenses with difficult passes. He can stretch the ice from his end or make a play off the wall. Koster has a high skill level, too. His puck skills popped more in high school than in USHL, making me wonder if it will translate. The main concern on Koster is, for a small defenseman, his skating is very average. He lacks the ability to push the pace and that will be a concern to how well he’ll defend versus men.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Don't hate this pick but was hoping for more size. Will definitely take it as mentioned above he was ranked much higher. Could be a steal.

gordonshumway

Sep 18, 2010
I've had it with Dubas. Does he have some size phobia?!? Why on earth would you waste a pick on a smallish american defenceman?!? Why not let the euro scouts do what they do and get us some Swedish or Finnish prospect who may *actually* amount to something? So frustrating to watch this clown waste picks.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I've had it with Dubas. Does he have some size phobia?!? Why on earth would you waste a pick on a smallish american defenceman?!? Why not let the euro scouts do what they do and get us some Swedish or Finnish prospect who may *actually* amount to something? So frustrating to watch this clown waste picks.
He went 146th overall, calm down

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
:laugh:
The draft has been great. I guess you wanted wasted size Tyler Biggs players?

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

Are you a professional scout?

Take a lap.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
yy
maybe hes the next McAvoy
chill after the 10 pick in the first round it's a crapshoot
they got trevor Moore for free

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Always amusing to see people freak out over a player they literally didn't know of 30 seconds ago in favour of *insert other prospect I have no idea about*

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I don't dislike any of the picks individually (Abruzzese was a little early of a pick, imo), bu we're definitely seeing a theme in the picks we're making...

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Looks like Dubas wants to be the tallest guy when he walks into the dressing room....... :sarcasm:

I kid, I kid, I don't know anything about the kid. Is he a LHD or RHD?

Hoping we can hit on some of these guys........ Would be great to find one of those hidden draft gems that other teams seem to find.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Good value here at 146. Ranked #74 by Pronman.

Pronman has a soft spot for pygmies:) I actually don't mind the pick at all. Their current small D have will have had whatever NHL shot they deserve by the time he graduates and Minnesota is a great hockey school.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad