Prospect Info: Leafs' 2019 2nd-round (#53) -- LW/C Nicholas Robertson -- OHL - 5' 9"/162lbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'm sure Robertson is being discussed due to the large strides he's taken in the past season. That heavy wrist shot is very impressive but he scores other ways too. He seems like he's going to be capable of a fast release one timer and an Ovechkinian one time slapshot too. It almost seems impossible that he won't be able to score at the NHL level.

Reactions: kb

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Watch where he actually scores from. He doesn't operate in the down-low area in-front of the net. He scores predominantly off sniping from rushes or on break-outs. He's going to have trouble making a killing in front of the net, in the NHL, he simply doesn't have the build for it. I'm not saying he's going to fail for these reasons, but people need to calm down with ideas like penciling him next to JT-Marner next year.

I mean, John Tavares is one of the most adaptable offensive players in the league. That isn't really a reasonable comparison point. Most guys have their skills, and then have to learn to adapt them to the NHL in a given role.
I have seen it, and apparently so have the coaches who voted him the #1 net front threat in the league. It's possible everyone is wrong but you I guess, but his combination of hands and work ethic speak for themselves I believe. Small players who live in front of the net definitely are rare, but they do exist. Robertson seems like a rare player himself, we'll see

Reactions: stickty111

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Which current NHLer would Robertson best be compared to?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I have seen it, and apparently so have the coaches who voted him the #1 net front threat in the league. It's possible everyone is wrong but you I guess, but his combination of hands and work ethic speak for themselves I believe. Small players who live in front of the net definitely are rare, but they do exist. Robertson seems like a rare player himself, we'll see
Here's every goal from his 14 game goal streak. Watch where they are from.

1: Snipe from the top of the right circle
2: Snipe from the top of the left circle
3: Shot from between the left dot and hashes
4: One timer from between dot and hashess
5: Shot from the slot
6: Shot from left faceoff dot
7: Goal from in close on a give and go
8: Snipe from the left dot
9: One timer from top of right circle
10: Snipe from just above the hashmarks
11: One time from the between the right half-wall and the top of the right circle
12: Snipe from above the slot
13: scores off rebound near the hashmarks.
14: Breakaway deke shorthanded
15: Snipe from top of left circle
16: Beautfiul deke to generate shot at right hashmark
17: off a break out killing a PK
18: Snipe off faceoff win from between top of left circle and hashes

So, about two of the 18 are classic in-tight goal where his team is established in the zone. The give and go goal, and the one-off the rebound. Most of them are snipes from medium to long-range. None are tips or deflections, and only one is off a rebound. The other goals around the net are from clear breakaways. If you want to talk about guys who live in front of the net, look at how JVR scores a majority of his goals. That is an unbiased sample of over 14 games and 18 goals from this season.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Which current NHLer would Robertson best be compared to?
I don’t know off top of my head. I don’t know that there are many comparables actually. He has a unique package for a guy 160 pounds. Most just can’t shoot a puck like that ever let alone at that weight. He could be a nasty piece of work to defend if he bring whar he has now up a notch and plays at 185 or slightly under.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Dubas said he should have given him a couple exhibition games last year in hindsight. That gives a kind of idea that after that season he just had that he will definitely get in exhibition games this coming year.

Robertson said he is not ruling out his chance of playing for the leafs yet and is working as hard as he can in the time of to see if he can get there. He’s trying to get some beef on and has a list from the leafs of the things they want him to work on.

Dubas doesn’t underestimate his work ethic and wouldn’t rule out his chances of making but said he has things to work on. They gave him his list.

I guess Robertson just gets right to work like usual and just makes his best push to make it this training camp. I wouldn’t underestimate him either from what his coach say about his excellent work ethic.

He is working on endurance. Looks like potentially another player capable of requesting a sizeable contract in three years if he succeeds in making it this quick

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Nice little update on Robertson during the pandemic.

Ugh, this sites media widget is trash, its on his instagram. Looks like he's been training hard

Last edited:

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
Petes season ticket holder and proud homer- so I have seen a tremendous amount of Nick Roberston and it is pure joy watch this kid.
He is a bit of a Marchand but yet Nick Robertson is 100% his own player- there is no one else like him.
He is super fast ,way tougher than his size, plays above his weight, is very mouthy total grit and all heart. This kid will do anything to get the win.
I can honestly say every game he shocked me- his speed, his stickhandle his abilities are unbelievable!
Maybe he doesn't pass as much as others want him to but why should he?
There is no one else on the Petes can the score like him so why would he pass it to someone who will miss?
There was no one else on the Petes as fast as him either - so who is he supposed to pass to - empty ice?

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Hyman line 1
Mik line 2
AJ line 3
Clifford line 4
There is no room on left wong right now for this kid unless AJ is traded
and with AJ's injury i doubt Dubie can move him until AJ proves it is fine and he can produce at pace of 20 goals and 20 assists per season again
Can't see Leafs taking on risk of placing him on 2nd line and letting Mik go unless Mik has crazy contract demands which i doubt
and there is zero sense of putting him on 4th line to get limited minutes
Hyman and Soup can both play RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad