Leaf play-by-play guys

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
funny how HNIC went from Bob Cole and Harry Neale, two commentators who seemed to support the Leafs, to Hughson and Healy - two commentators who cheapshot them every few seconds or so. Unbelievable. Why would Rogers do this? Put 2 guys in there that run their own company's team into the ground? I just don't get it. If I was Rogers I'd ship these Leaf-haters out of there because how are they good for the Leaf product if all they do is run them into the ground? Head-scratcher. Move them to other games, and at least bring in 2 guys that are more neutral. They don't have to be Leaf supporters but at least get some "down the middle" guys to call the game.

What a complete 180 it's been with these play-by-play guys over the past few seasons

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's not only Hughson, Simpson, and Healy who are always negative towards Toronto. Rogers got rid of Joe Bowen for Leafs regional games on Sportsnet and they use either Paul Romanuk or Dave Randorf.

Also next Saturday with Toronto playing in Vancouver you know that Hughson will be cheering for the Canucks.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
yes its awful how we cant even get a neutral broadcast anymore. but honestly with what we have on the ice this year there is not much positive, but a strong work ethic most nights

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I forgot to mention besides Joe Bowen no longer doing the Leafs regional games on Sportsnet, the Canucks, Oilers, and Flames got to keep their same regional broadcast crew. Even Montreal promoted former Toronto Marlies broadcaster John Bartlet to be their new play by play for their Sportsnet regional games.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
I think part of it also has to do with the lack of talent on the team for the past decade. Aside from Kessel, who else has been noteworthy?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think it should matter who is on or not on the Leafs roster. When there is a national game broadcast across Canada the Leafs don't deserve to get dumped on by Hughson, Simpson, and Healy. How Rogers kept them on TV is something I will never understand.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
My hypothesis? People are too damn sensitive over the Leafs. I rather like Jim Hughson, and I don't hear this "negativity" about the Leafs whenever we get him.

My advice? Grow thicker skin.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
What's really funny is Bob Cole was slammed as a Leaf fan but the dude is actually a Habs fan. I still love the old fart. Everything is happening.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
My hypothesis? People are too damn sensitive over the Leafs. I rather like Jim Hughson, and I don't hear this "negativity" about the Leafs whenever we get him.

Watch next Saturday if Vancouver scores a goal and if Toronto scores a goal. You will hear how excited he would be for Vancouver and sad when Toronto does.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Hughson sounds not much more than a condescending ass. Trying to put Toronto down anytime they can. Take a look at the standings boys, all the Canadian Teams are sucking right now & Toronto is the only one that new it would have a weak year. At least our Marlies are on a record pace.

Looney Toonies

May 30, 2012
Canada
Healey is the reason I try to find the other teams feed most of the time. He is 100% a Leaf hater, cant stand his commentary.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013

haha. Thicker skin - for what - is he directly talking to me? No, so thicker skin is irrelevant - the point of the topic is that at every opportunity, Hughson slags the Leafs like a junkie takes his hit - if the chance is there' he's jumping on it without even thinking about it. There's no stopping it. And that's fine - for decades, HNIC commentators were fair to the Leafs, and now - it's flipped. But the point is - Rogers decides who's calling the game - and they also own the Leafs - so why would they put a guy in there who runs their own product into the ground? At least put a guy in there who calls it down the middle to maintain their product's reputation.

"Oh hey, we're a company that manufactures toothpastes - and we're selling a brand new toothpaste product here - we think it will help your oral health...but it really sucks garbage.. so, uh......"

wtf?

Does that make any sense????

So why is Rogers keeping Hughson in? Ship him out west where he can wear his Canucks undies while they play.. he's good there

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
I remember during a game a season or 2 ago, Hughson and Simpson were calling the ACC "The Library" all game long. I know the ACC is a quiet building because of how bad we've been for the last decade but as professional broadcasters taking shots like that at a fan base is completely unacceptable and unprofessional. Pissed me off pretty bad.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
How to not be good at what you do in media.

1. Drastically change the program content.

2. Continue to push programs that are not popular to the audience for extended periods

3. Employ personalities that alienate the bulk of your target audience.

4. Fail to adapt or acknowledge your programs misgivings and the responses generated by that audience.

NikoPopp

Dec 19, 2013
It's not only Hughson, Simpson, and Healy who are always negative towards Toronto. Rogers got rid of Joe Bowen for Leafs regional games on Sportsnet and they use either Paul Romanuk or Dave Randorf.

I don't like Romanuk but I don't think its fair to say that he bashes the Leafs. He is just bad at play by play in general.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Bob Cole came from the old school where the announcer hyped/sold the game. He didn't attempt to analyze the game. His objective was/is to make the game more exciting to the viewer.

These modern guys try to analyze and critique the game and the players. Part of it is just to fill the air with blather. Some of it is ego puffing. Some of it is to delivery a product that appeals beyond fans of any single team.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
One more time - my issue with Hughson, Simpson and Healey aren't that they are "negative" towards the Leafs. I do think it is an issue. But there is a massive difference between being held by your hand, and EVERYTHING IS GREAT, ISN'T EVERYTHING FAN.TAS.TIC, LEAFS NATION?! - because I don't want that, which is why for the most part, I am not "missing" Joe Bowen -

but at the same time I don't want Neutral-Negativity all the time either. Which is what those three bring about. ALL. THE TIME (or at least 80% of the time). When I was able to, I was always watching the away-cast. and they are relatively biased to the home team as most tend to be - but they were Neutral-Positive. that, it wasn't like. this team is the best team ever today, and let's ignore the road team. There were equal talking points towards Home Team & the Leafs, and when the Leafs do do something (or when talking about what's going on), it's done in again - Neutral-Positive tone.

Example
"Shanahan is doing what he's doing. While we don't know if it will work or not, I'm sure that they are on the right path BECAUSE of, example, example, example, and what the Marlies are doing, example example"

Neutral - like it's not screaming "it's gonna be perfect!" - but in a positive tone.

what those three do is this

"Shanahan is doing what he's doing, but God, you know, who knows what it will be like, because, LOOK AT ALL THE TIMES THE ORGANIZATION HAS DONE SOMETHING STUPID, AND THIS FAN BASE, AND THIS, AND THAT. - SO who KNOWS what will happen, but i mean, God, remember when they traded STRALMAN?! THEY CLEARLY KNOW NOTHING" (and more often than naught, ignoring the fact that for most of the pieces that we've traded, several teams bypassed said player too).

I am ALL for putting the Leafs through their paces when it's deserved. but again - for the most part, it would be nice of the stance was more Neutral Positive, or even just freaking Neutral, than a Neutral Negative, hahahah this team, this organization, etc.

not to mention - that all three together aren't good. Healey is useless.
Hughson is fine I suppose, but I don't like him and how he calls a game.
Simpson I actually don't mind, and when he's with someone else (like Randorf), I find him completely different.

finnbalor*

The Hughson problem was around before Rogers, he's stiff, lifeless and boring. That said, Rogers is awful, theyve ruined after 40 minutes, I don't care about a social media guru. Stock, Heatly and Kipper need to go.

Also rather see a man host HNIC rather than anoxeric hipster that needs to touch other people's shoulder whenever he talks to them.

Somehow the intermissions with twitter voting debates is even worse. Keep the internet off tv, it doesn't work.

TSN is the best coverage by far these days.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto

Also next Saturday with Toronto playing in Vancouver you know that Hughson will be cheering for the Canucks.

Joe Bowen was the biggest Leafs fan/homer?

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Play by play commentators should be neutral, I'm not sure of the negativity that you're referring to, are the commentators sounding like they're happy when the opposition scores? if that's the case then you're right. I'll admit I don't usually listen to them too much, I just watch the game, I do listen to coach's corner.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
I strongly, very strongly dislike Glenn Healey as a hockey analyst. News flash, Glenn! You weren't as great of a goaltender as you think. Sub .890 save % back up level goalie.

The guys could be talking about Crosby or Ovechkin and he will still find a way to take jabs at the Leafs. Where does Rogers find such an arrogant, condescending, pompous assclown like him?

Last edited by a moderator:

OLUSAF

Sep 8, 2007
Ray Ferraro is the type of broadcaster that is perfect for covering the Leafs. Although he is a regular on Leafs Lunch he seems to be the outside opinion on most topics concerning the Leafs.

He will throw in jabs but I don't get the sense that he has some underlying bitterness or arrogance.

I can't really think of play by play guys that would be comparable.

I have too agree that I don't enjoy the current play by play coverage, a guy who refused to play for the Leafs, an ex Leaf player who seems to think he could have done a better job since he retired and a Canucks fan.

Maybe one at a time could make for interesting tv with some bias opposition.

Not Simpson though, he should go cover Pittsburgh or the Oilers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad