Leaf goalies that got by for a short time with big equipment

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Ed Belfour. He was barely moving by the end of his time with the team. On angle shots he'd square up on his knees keeping his arms tight to his body and his shoulders high. Eventually shooters just started roofing it over his shoulder shrugs.

Anti-big equipment: Mikael Tellqvist. Overplayed shooters constantly. Never seen so many open net tap ins against a Leafs' goalie.

Reactions: ottomaddox

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I can think of a few:

JS Giguere
Trevor Kidd
Justin Pogge
Sparks

Not a Leaf but Miller has to be a smallest goalie that looked huge in net. The guy was maybe 165 lbs, if you looked up the word Bone-rack , Millers picture would be there.

Reactions: ottomaddox

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Another absolutely stellar Heybuddy pointless attention seeking thread.

Hey - next we should find out our players favourite colours!! Maybe make it a poll?

Thank god you were here to post your sarcasm, otherwise this thread would be pointless....

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Ed Belfour. He was barely moving by the end of his time with the team. On angle shots he'd square up on his knees keeping his arms tight to his body and his shoulders high. Eventually shooters just started roofing it over his shoulder shrugs.

Anti-big equipment: Mikael Tellqvist. Overplayed shooters constantly. Never seen so many open net tap ins against a Leafs' goalie.

I barely remember him, but this seems to spark some (bad) memories.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I faintly remember Beaupre as a leaf goalie.

He was pretty bad, but did he rely on big equipment in his last days?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

Agreed. I remember being quite shocked at how bad he was at the shoot out when it was first introduced.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
The week before the season starts is the perfect time for an off-season thread.

This is the offseason.

We can't discuss a lot until there are cuts.

Go back to the All or Nothing Discussion Thread if you don't care for this one.

Why do people post in threads in which they have no intention of contributing?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Kidd, Pogge, Sparks, (and I’ll throw in Gustavsson) we’re all extremely athletic goalies who got by on reflexes and natural ability than technique or ability to read the play. Equipment had nothing to do with their level of success or failure. They all played the game like it was recess.

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
Pogge and Monster were massive disappointments for me.

I think their issues were mostly mental.

Pogge was a headcase by all accounts from the start.
Monster seemed to never find his game again after all the trauma around his family and his heart condition but he was an elite talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad