Leaf Fans need to be better...

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
This is not a knee-jerk reaction to tonight and definitely not directed at all fans because we have some good insights on a nightly basis.

I will also give us some slack for being multiple decades without a Cup but not a lot of slack.

There are 2 Phases to Winning a Cup

Phase 1 - Outpoint Enough Teams to Get Into the Post Season

Wins happen. Losses happen. Streaks happen.

The only thing the regular season is good for is for getting a post season ticket and perhaps home ice advantage.

That's it. How well we play against Florida in December has NO impact on how we would play against Boston in a 7 game series.

Pay attention but watch it with a Jamaican attitude of "No Problem." We have enough skill to outpoint enough teams in the NHL.

Phase 2 - Win 4 Playoff Series

We aren't there yet. We can speculate as to the type of team we want to have when we get there.

But who is streaking positive, who is "gelling", who has "figured it out", whatever team streak we are on.... throw it out the window.

Drop the puck and go for it. You just have to hope we did our team diligence at the trade deadline.

So.... relax.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Funny I would have made the thread about how f***ing unusable the main boards have become. I counted 5 troll threads created since last night and I am sure there were many others that were deleted. 1 loss after a 5 game win streak and I've learned that the team is a one trick pony pretender with terrible defense and will never go anywhere, the Islanders are a Cup contender and more so than the Leafs, Barzal > Matthews and JT, Elais Pettersson > Matthews AINEC, etc.

Just, why do I bother coming here anymore? It was NEVER this bad but honestly they just let the trolls troll and act like they are not trolling when everyone CLEARLY knows these posters and know their habits. I tried the ignore list but I have over 20 people on my list and it is still like this. This place is toxic to Leaf fans outside of this forum.

So hell f***ing no I am not going to be graceful or whatever because the truth is all Leaf fans could be wiped off the face of the planet by an asteroid tomorrow and there will still be threads made for the next 20 years about how overrated and shit the team was and how bad the fans were. There is no winning. It's just blind hate.

And it f***ing sucks when you are trying to just talk hockey with other fans but can't go into a thread without being trolled and if you engage AT ALL then everyone comes in "OH LOOK ANOTHER THREAD ABOUT THE LEAFS" and ignore it was a f***ing troll who derailed it.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
This is not a knee-jerk reaction to tonight and definitely not directed at all fans because we have some good insights on a nightly basis.

I will also give us some slack for being multiple decades without a Cup but not a lot of slack.

The only thing the regular season is good for is for getting a post season ticket and perhaps home ice advantage.

That's it. How well we play against Florida in December has NO impact on how we would play against Boston in a 7 game series.

Pay attention but watch it with a Jamaican attitude of "No Problem." We have enough skill to outpoint enough teams in the NHL.

We aren't there yet. We can speculate as to the type of team we want to have when we get there.

But who is streaking positive, who is "gelling", who has "figured it out", whatever team streak we are on.... throw it out the window.

Drop the puck and go for it. You just have to hope we did our team diligence at the trade deadline.

So.... relax.
The playoff format will probably result in many more years of disappointment because the division has too many good teams so even after a great season getting out of the first round isn't easy.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
This is all about management being honest in their assessment of the team. Which is why, I will repat many times; why I said trading Nylander for a top D man was the right move. He isn't as ineffective as he has been since coming back, but he's not as valuable as the Leafs management believed he was either. If Leafs didn't have Kapanen, Marner and Tavares and Matthews, ok, but they have the firepower, they need the ati-air gunners too.

I do believe their offense can be the difference maker in any series, but it's not as easy as it is in some games during the regular season. This means they are going to have to fight through adversity, and he league needs to call the games by the book. If they do, Leafs could make some serious noise in the playoffs.

Now they will get a depth D man I imagine before the deadline This is better than nothing.

Reactions: TML11

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
One thing I've learned in the last 24 hours is Trotz system of telling players to play hard and try to win is significantly better than Babcock's system of telling the players to go out, shit the bed and then roll around in it.

Over the last week I found out the only poll Petterson wouldn't win is against an Inanimate Carbon Rod.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The playoff format will probably result in many more years of disappointment because the division has too many good teams so even after a great season getting out of the first round isn't easy.
Eh, there's a lot of crappy teams in the Atlantic. And Tampa has massive cap issues despite all the hype over the Leafs.

Reactions: AreBe

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
This is all about management being honest in their assessment of the team. Which is why, I will repat many times; why I said trading Nylander for a top D man was the right move. He isn't as ineffective as he has been since coming back, but he's not as valuable as the Leafs management believed he was either. If Leafs didn't have Kapanen, Marner and Tavares and Matthews, ok, but they have the firepower, they need the ati-air gunners too.

I do believe their offense can be the difference maker in any series, but it's not as easy as it is in some games during the regular season. This means they are going to have to fight through adversity, and he league needs to call the games by the book. If they do, Leafs could make some serious noise in the playoffs.

Now they will get a depth D man I imagine before the deadline This is better than nothing.

So what "Top DMan" would you acquire? Much easier said than done.

Reactions: AreBe

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Funny I would have made the thread about how ****ing unusable the main boards have become. I counted 5 troll threads created since last night and I am sure there were many others that were deleted. 1 loss after a 5 game win streak and I've learned that the team is a one trick pony pretender with terrible defense and will never go anywhere, the Islanders are a Cup contender and more so than the Leafs, Barzal > Matthews and JT, Elais Pettersson > Matthews AINEC, etc.

Just, why do I bother coming here anymore? It was NEVER this bad but honestly they just let the trolls troll and act like they are not trolling when everyone CLEARLY knows these posters and know their habits. I tried the ignore list but I have over 20 people on my list and it is still like this. This place is toxic to Leaf fans outside of this forum.

So hell ****ing no I am not going to be graceful or whatever because the truth is all Leaf fans could be wiped off the face of the planet by an asteroid tomorrow and there will still be threads made for the next 20 years about how overrated and **** the team was and how bad the fans were. There is no winning. It's just blind hate.

And it ****ing sucks when you are trying to just talk hockey with other fans but can't go into a thread without being trolled and if you engage AT ALL then everyone comes in "OH LOOK ANOTHER THREAD ABOUT THE LEAFS" and ignore it was a ****ing troll who derailed it.

I appreciate the enthusiasm.

Think of it as a locker room. There will be chirping. Just give it back.

We don't need anyone's acceptance. We are Maple Leaf Fans. We take our place at the top of the hockey world.

Regardless of Montreal's 24 Cups that were won with favourable officiating.
Regardless of Winnipeg's Winger... who would be a 2nd line winger here ... Laine or whatever his name is.
Regardless of Ottawa winning a game in our home building
Regardless of what the Edmonton Oilers and Lotteries Hockey Club will do with their first overall pick next year
Regardless of the Boston Winery

You don't need validation for anything. Type proud.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I agree you are going to win and then lose some - winning or losing is not an issue as obviously you are not going to win every single

My concern would be the lack of effort that was displayed last night against an inferior opponent - we need to correct that (I know it's a long season but there is no reason for a no show)

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I appreciate the enthusiasm.

Think of it as a locker room. There will be chirping. Just give it back.

We don't need anyone's acceptance. We are Maple Leaf Fans. We take our place at the top of the hockey world.

Regardless of Montreal's 24 Cups that were won with favourable officiating.
Regardless of Winnipeg's Winger... who would be a 2nd line winger here ... Laine or whatever his name is.
Regardless of Ottawa winning a game in our home building
Regardless of what the Edmonton Oilers and Lotteries Hockey Club will do with their first overall pick next year
Regardless of the Boston Winery

You don't need validation for anything. Type proud.

The issue is there is a separate standard for what is acceptable for Leaf and non Leaf fans. Trust me with my history I know. I've been a good poster now for over a year and I see stuff all the time that I have gotten infracted for, I report it, and nothing. In fact I will probably get infracted just for mentioning this but it is a problem and I said it here amongst Leaf fans only. Just have to vent.

Reactions: moon111

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I actually agree.

Disappointing loss but it was a back to back after winning 5 games in a row. Fan are overreacting like usual but we were due for a game like this. Sucks that it came against Tavares' first game against his old team but there will be other games.

I'm more disappointed that the Leafs were shutout. The Leafs should almost never be shutout with the kind of offense they have.

Off topic but wasn't that game a bit underwhelming for all the hype? You'd think the Islanders would try and rip someones head off with all the talk going in.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

So.... relax.
In other words, do as you say not as you do.

Reactions: zeke and Gallagbi

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

So.... relax.

Somebody got a Captain Obvious cape for x-mas ... ;)

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Funny I would have made the thread about how ****ing unusable the main boards have become. I counted 5 troll threads created since last night and I am sure there were many others that were deleted. 1 loss after a 5 game win streak and I've learned that the team is a one trick pony pretender with terrible defense and will never go anywhere, the Islanders are a Cup contender and more so than the Leafs, Barzal > Matthews and JT, Elais Pettersson > Matthews AINEC, etc.

So hell ****ing no I am not going to be graceful or whatever because the truth is all Leaf fans could be wiped off the face of the planet by an asteroid tomorrow and there will still be threads made for the next 20 years about how overrated and **** the team was and how bad the fans were. There is no winning. It's just blind hate.

And it ****ing sucks when you are trying to just talk hockey with other fans but can't go into a thread without being trolled and if you engage AT ALL then everyone comes in "OH LOOK ANOTHER THREAD ABOUT THE LEAFS" and ignore it was a ****ing troll who derailed it.
Last night on the main boards l knew wouldn't be good with the standard Barzal hat trick thread, because it brought out the standard Leafs haters and their usual hate filled comments at how great that was to see and because it happened against Toronto of all teams. So I just stay out of topics like that because replying in them does not do me any good.

Now I will say it was hypocritical of a specific poster complaining about how it was a Barzal hat trick thread because he mentioned there was other Leafs fans making comments which had nothing to do about it. However I remember after Tavares first hat trick back in October the Islanders fans were trying to take that thread over with their usual hate towards him.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
And this seems related to my recent post about how this team seems to have a skill overload right now. They've got a lot of talent who can playmake and finish. The team is a bit short on the type of players who force their way through defensive schemes. Championship teams have both types. Sometimes their stars are these harder nose types too, which is ideal. I don't think the team make up is quite right at the moment. They'll need a softer less defensively sound opponent to win a playoff round IMO.

I think they took a step in the right direction adding Tavares. Now they need a few more harder complementary players. That may cost the team some elite skill. So be it. They don't need a starting goalie if Andersen stays healthy. I'm of the non-trendy opinion that the defense is probably good enough as it is. Either the current forward group plays an overall harder game or the team needs to change up the mix up front. When I hear the hysterics over giving Hyman types shifts with the high end talent, I facepalm. This team needs more Hyman types (plays hard minutes has some skill) not less. Ideally some higher skill versions of Hyman can be sourced sooner than later.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Leafs haven't proven they are anything but a very good regular season team.

As for other forums probably less than 100 times since I joined, years before the reset join dates indicates. Hockey's Future - About Us

Haven't really found much issue when I did, but perhaps some Leafs fans take their own forum persona elsewhere where it might not be as acceptable.

You get a lot of leeway at home, not so much on the road.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

So.... relax.

My biggest fear is the Leafs are built for the regular season and to entertain, and not equipped for the post season when everything changes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad