Leaf Draft Wars 2015: Who! Will! They! Pick!? - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Last thread is at its limit ..Continue discussion here.

My personal 2015 NHL Top 15 Draft Player Rankings

#1 Connor McDavid, Centre, Erie Otters, OHL
#2 Jack Eichel, Centre, Boston University Terriers, NCAA Hockey East
#3 Dylan Strome, Centre, Erie Otters, OHL
#4 Mathew Barzal, Centre, Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL
#5 Ivan Provorov, Defence, Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL
#6 Noah Hanifin, Defence, Boston College Eagles, NCAA Hockey East
#7 Mitch Marner, Right Wing/Centre, London Knights, OHL
#8 Pavel Zacha, Centre, Sarnia Sting, OHL
#9 Lawson Crouse, Left Wing, Kingston Frontenacs, OHL
#10 Zach Werenski, Defence, Michigan Wolverines, NCAA Big Ten

#11 Mikko Rantanen, Right Wing/Centre, TPS, SM-Liiga
#12 Kyle Connor, Centre, Youngstown Phantoms, USHL
#13 Timo Meier, Right Wing, Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL
#14 Nick Merkley, Centre/Right Wing, Kelowna Rockets, WHL
#15 Evgeni Svechnikov, Left Wing, Cape Breton Screaming Eagles, QMJHL

My list is structured so that Leafs draft either for either a #1C or #1D at #4 overall.

With my favourites in order for Leafs pick #1. Barzal #2. Hanifin #3 Strome ... However I'm expecting the Leafs to draft Marner with the pick.

Last edited:

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
If I read anything into this, player "Y" is Strome. Meaning Leafs are definitely getting Strome if he's available:

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs-new-philosophy-has-them-looking-to-select-future-stars-at-upcoming-entry-draft

I think the only thing you can truly decipher from this is that they want player Y...

I do think they know who they want. I won't hazard a guess as to who it is, but I think there's one of the 3 that they really want, and they'll just go through the motions to see who Arizona goes with. I doubt they have a problem taking one of the other 2 as a consolation, but it would be nice to get the guy we've got our sights on from the get-go.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
My belief is anytime is a good time to draft a #1C with size and skill if you have a chance, they do not come along everyday. Since we have been without one since Sundin was traded to us. If you have a chance to get one, better not wait.

Barzal, Konecny, Merkley, Beauvillier, and Bracco are all skilled guys we can still pick up this year. Last year we got Nylander with Ehlers, Fiala, Paternak and Fabbri still available.

There was only one Draisaitl though.

Because there is only 1 Draisaitl and big #1C are rare then you have to re-think the thought of dealing the #4 if Arizona drafts Strome.

Edmonton would love to get Hanifin and as such that opens the opportunity for a #4 & #24 for Draisaitl and #16 with the hope that Nick Merkley is there for that pick.

Leafs walk away from the 1st round with that big #1C and the player at fits Hunter's "smaller but physically strong" player type.

Who's with me?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Because there is only 1 Draisaitl and big #1C are rare then you have to re-think the thought of dealing the #4 if Arizona drafts Strome.

Edmonton would love to get Hanifin and as such that opens the opportunity for a #4 & #24 for Draisaitl and #16 with the hope that Nick Merkley is there for that pick.

Leafs walk away from the 1st round with that big #1C and the player at fits Hunter's "smaller but physically strong" player type.

Who's with me?

Seems sideways at best for the Leafs in terms of value.

Oilers getting Hanifin to go with McDavid is crazy good for them. Shores up their defense along with Nurse.

I'd make Edmontan pay more for this or not bother.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Yes I agree w/ drafting for size as we are v. good at doing that

v. great idea

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Yes I agree w/ drafting for size as we are v. good at doing that

v. great idea

v. solid insight! :)

i dont know who hanifin or marner or strome are bc i dont know v. much about hockey but all of them will be v. good and become v. star players! :)

(sigh) heres hoping shanahan makes a v. good decision :)

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
v. solid insight! :)

i dont know who hanifin or marner or strome are bc i dont know v. much about hockey but all of them will be v. good and become v. star players! :)

(sigh) heres hoping shanahan makes a v. good decision :)
In shanny we tru$t

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011

Who's with me?

4 and 24 for Draisaitl and 16 is a great deal. If Marner is gone, I wouldn't think twice about it.

CDP

Nov 30, 2014
Give me Strome or Marner and I'll be happy

Wouldn't be opposed to Hanifin if he's available but a real potential #1 center prospect would be awesome

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
#1 Centers are very rare. So are #1 defensemen. Draft the best player, not for positional needs.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Coyotes Considering Options with Third Pick in Draft

GM Don Maloney:

"There's a couple of defensemen we really like, some centermen and some dynamic wingers, but we have all kinds of options," Maloney said. "I'm not locked into anything. We do have holes to fill on our roster next season, so if we can fill a hole and get a relatively high pick in return, that's an option."

"It's fairly clear which two players will be selected at the top, but then the intrigue starts at No. 3," Maloney said.

"We could use help in a lot of areas, so we're not locked into that we have to draft this position or that position; as we continue our evaluation it's all about who has the highest upside," Maloney said.

"Noah Hanifin is a terrific-looking prospect, he's strong and a great skater," Maloney said. "He has good instincts and can move the puck well. McDavid and Eichel have the potential to be special and fun to watch in the years ahead, but that's not to say that the next group of players, four, five, six years down the road, won't begin to emerge.

"(University of Michigan defenseman) Zach Werenski is another smart defenseman in this draft class, but to me after the top two players, the rest of the draft class will involve development," Maloney said.

To me, it sounds like Moloney will pick Hanifin if no one offers him a good offer to drop down and pick Werenski. I get the feeling Moloney wants to parlay Hanifin into more picks.

He already has a 2nd rd pick from NY and a 1st from Chicago this draft. Two 1sts next year. Adding picks seems to be his mandate. We will see what happens when Arizona picks. It will determine what the Leafs do at #4.

My gut says Strome will be there at #4 for the Leafs if they want him.

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=769762

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
my gut also tells me leafs love strome, especially on this current team

strome
nylander
kadri

down the middle

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Coyotes Considering Options with Third Pick in Draft

GM Don Maloney:

To me, it sounds like Moloney will pick Hanifin if no one offers him a good offer to drop down and pick Werenski. I get the feeling Moloney wants to parlay Hanifin into more picks.

He already has a 2nd rd pick from NY and a 1st from Chicago this draft. Two 1sts next year. Adding picks seems to be his mandate. We will see what happens when Arizona picks. It will determine what the Leafs do at #4.

My gut says Strome will be there at #4 for the Leafs if they want him.

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=769762

Yeah I agree with you, Hanifin is a big card to play with - in reality they have the ball in their court that can affect planning for aa handful of teams. I am sure all these teams always have backup plans

It's going to be really interesting, a lot depend on how desperate other teams are for Hanifin

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
if leafs had a player right now even remotely similar to strome, like how kadri and nylander is similar to marner, then i would probably say marner

u want skill and size...the top picks u gotta, should and must go for skill, but when a player comes around that has skill and size, then u dont even 2nd guess urself, cus size and skill doesn't come along often at all

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yeah I agree with you, Hanifin is a big card to play with - in reality they have the ball in their court that can affect planning for aa handful of teams. I am sure all these teams always have backup plans

It's going to be really interesting, a lot depend on how desperate other teams are for Hanifin

There are a lot of games being played by GM's now. Leak a Arizona is taking Strome to try to lure a team to ante up for Hanifin. I don't blame GM's for this. It's part of the dance at the draft. But when we look back at top 3 picks, just how often are deals made on them? Not many.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Who's with me?

Not in the slightest. I have absolutely zero interest in trading the 4th. This is the deepest draft in a decade. I want the leafs to draft and develop their own prospects, not try to buy other team's.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
my gut also tells me leafs love strome, especially on this current team

strome
nylander
kadri

down the middle

Which one is a Hunter player?
What does Babcock want for 8 years if his goal is to win the Cup?

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I could see top ten teams that require an elite defenceman trading up for Hanifin. Personally, I can't see us being the team due to being in a rebuild.

Good chance we choose between Marner or Strome.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Just to note, Y is definitely Hanifin. If the Yotes take a forward at 3 (X), the choice is one player, the defenceman (aka Y). If they take the D, the choice is then the two forwards (aka X and Z)

So with that, they have Hanifin ranked over the forwards like most would expect. Now its time to decipher who they like over Strome and Marner...

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I really don't think it was said as a cryptic message to be deciphered. It was just a way to explain there's a plan in place. There's a lot of reading into to what's being said going on. I understand as there's little else to be excited about, but I doubt Hunter is trying to drop hints anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad