Leaf Contracts

Whydidijoin*

We didn't sign him under a 70 mil cap .
Might want to check what the cap was this past offseason.

If you want to blame the PA for making it that, fine, but fact is that is what it was.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Might want to check what the cap was this past offseason.

If you want to blame the PA for making it that, fine, but fact is that is what it was.

I know what the cap went up to in the offseason however he was signed during the season under lower cap .

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
We didn't sign him under a 70 mil cap .

Also what does Grabo actually do ? He's a hard working scrappy little guy that uaually goes hard but he has a low hockey iq that holds him back and prevents him from complimenting his wingers . He's pretty much a center version of Blake .

Grabo's offensive stats were inflated in Wilson's system and he was only resigned because of our pitiful situation at center .

Not suprising, you're never to be found in a thread after the leafs have won a game, only in the ones where they lose, threads that complain about anything Leaf related, and of course the mere mention of Brian Burke. Strange how that works.

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010
lmao at people thinking our cap managment is bad.

Liles took a 400k paycut to extend with us, That's bad?

Lupul deserved his 5.25 cap hit, he has always been a fairly consistent 50+ point forward, very capable of 60-70+(freak injury can't be expected like this season)

Grabo was about 500k too high, but not crazy.

and people are complaining about Komi and Connolly? Connolly is gone at the deadline, at worst in the offseason, Komi will be bought out or be gone next offseason.

we do not have any bad contracts, and a TONNE of space this offseason especially if we amnesty someone like Komi.

Grabo is the only one IMO that could be troublesome if he cant keep his production up.

Really? In 9 years in the NHL Lupul has only two 50+ point years. One 60+. Never 70+.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Not suprising, you're never to be found in a thread after the leafs have won a game, only in the ones where they lose, threads that complain about anything Leaf related, and of course the mere mention of Brian Burke. Strange how that works.

BB's gone and never coming back and Grabo's overpaid . It's strange how some people can't comprehend how overpaying players impacts our cap going forward . That's what you should find strange .

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Compliance buyout to Komisarek and MAYBE Liles to make room for Gardiner, Fraser, and Holzer on this team for next season, spend the 7 million in savings on the forwards or a goalie. Done make me GM.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Scratch this, was looking at PIMs. My bad...

3 years of 50+, one that would've been 50-60 if he didn't get injured(had 46 in 56 games played).

On an off year he's a 50-60 point winger when healthy and plays top line minutes.

With chemistry like he showed with Kessel, easily PPG.

Whydidijoin*

I know what the cap went up to in the offseason however he was signed during the season under lower cap .
Except he was signed to an extension starting the following season, and everybody knew the cap was going up. He would have been a UFA with a 70 mil cap.

Or do you think agents are so stupid that they base contracts of the future on salary caps of the past?

Whydidijoin*

He isn't even in the same ballpark as most of those players.
He is closer to a couple than you may think, but that is why he isn't paid as much as those players, nor does he have the long term.

He is paid like a 2nd line center.

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
He is closer to a couple than you may think, but that is why he isn't paid as much as those players, nor does he have the long term.

He is paid like a 2nd line center.

Or he is a 4 million dollar player getting paid 5.5.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
No, he is a 5.5 million dollar player getting paid 5.5 million.

Given that teams can no longer back dive contracts to get actual star players in a cap friendly deal and the cap dropping, then i say no, Grabo is not a 5.5m cap player anymore.

Not when there are players out there with comparible hits and have last names like Hossa, Keith, Seabrook,Sharp,Richards,Carter,Zett,Seguin,Lucic, as examples.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Given that teams can no longer back dive contracts to get actual star players in a cap friendly deal and the cap dropping, then i say no, Grabo is not a 5.5m cap player anymore.

Not when there are players out there with comparible hits and have last names like Hossa, Keith, Seabrook,Sharp,Richards,Carter,Zett,Seguin,Lucic, as examples.

He is a 2c getting 2c money. You can't just ignore the fact that those contracts are deals that cannot be made anymore.

Last edited:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
He is a 2c getting 2c money. You can't just ignore the fact that those contracts are deals that cannot be made anymore.

The way i worded it means exactly what it means.

Under the new regime Grabo is not worth a 5.5m cap hit.

Maybe 4.5/4.75 ish but no more then that for a cap hit.

lLeafer

Feb 27, 2012
These contracts can't be explained except by those on this board who don't think the Leafs operate under a cap or think we can simply click our heels and another team will trade for them .

We can forget about signing a big ticket UFA since we'll have enough trouble fitting our own soon to be RFA Reims/Kadri/Frattin under the cap .

what about those on this board who overvalue players just so they can complain about them? Reimer and Frattin? Really? We're worried about the big money they're going to demand? For what exactly? Are these guys superstars all of a sudden just so you can ***** about their possibly upcoming "huge" contracts? Even Kadri is basically a rookie.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
what about those on this board who overvalue players just so they can complain about them? Reimer and Frattin? Really? We're worried about the big money they're going to demand? For what exactly? Are these guys superstars all of a sudden just so you can ***** about their possibly upcoming "huge" contracts? Even Kadri is basically a rookie.

What did Grabo do to deserve his 3 mil contract after one NHL season that Kadri/Frattin haven't been been doing this year ? In fact if they continue there current production why can't they ask for more than was given to Grabo after a sub 50 point rookie year considering the cap is much higher now .

Also why do you think Reims/Kadri/Frattin will all sign discounted contracts if they continue to produce at current levels when no one else on this team has ?

If these guys crash and burn after hot starts then we'll have more problems than having to play hardball with them on future contracts negotiations to cover for handing out overpayments .

It's funny how fans like you defend the deals handed out to players like Grabo/Lupal/JML when few if any wanted these guys to get the deals they recieved beforehand .

lLeafer

Feb 27, 2012
What did Grabo do to deserve his 3 mil contract after one NHL season that Kadri/Frattin haven't been been doing this year ? In fact if they continue there current production why can't they ask for more than was given to Grabo after a sub 50 point rookie year considering the cap is much higher now .

Also why do you think Reims/Kadri/Frattin will all sign discounted contracts if they continue to produce at current levels when no one else on this team has ?

If these guys crash and burn after hot starts then we'll have more problems than having to play hardball with them on future contracts negotiations to cover for handing out overpayments .

It's funny how fans like you defend the deals handed out to players like Grabo/Lupal/JML when few if any wanted these guys to get the deals they recieved beforehand .

Well let's see... Grabbo played almost 30 nhl games with mtl before his rookie season in Toronto where he scored 20 goals and had a "sub 50 point rookie year" (haha I like that word play) with 48 points to lead all Eastern conference rookies.. and got 2.9 (ok fine round it up) 3m under a different CBA on a much different team.

Frattin has played 67 total NHL games with 25 total points and is restricted in 14-15.. Reimer has shown to be nothing more than an injury prone goalie with potential who will also be restricted in 14-15.. and the way their careers are going I doubt either of them will be hold outs... so we'll worry about it in 15-16.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Well let's see... Grabbo played almost 30 nhl games with mtl before his rookie season in Toronto where he scored 20 goals and had a "sub 50 point rookie year" (haha I like that word play) with 48 points to lead all Eastern conference rookies.. and got 2.9 (ok fine round it up) 3m under a different CBA on a much different team.

Frattin has played 67 total NHL games with 25 total points and is restricted in 14-15.. Reimer has shown to be nothing more than an injury prone goalie with potential who will also be restricted in 14-15.. and the way their careers are going I doubt either of them will be hold outs... so we'll worry about it in 15-16.

Grabo had 3 goal and 9 pts in 27 games over 2 seasons and then came to Toronto and put up 48pts in 78 games on a bottom end team and was rewarded with a 3 year deal for 2.9 mil a year .

Frattin has 7 goals and 10 pts in 10 games at the same age as Grabo's first year and has played a very solid all around game . He's due after next year so his contract isn't a pressing concern but next year Kessel as well as Dion need to be resigned so the club better start planning ahead because unlike the bs your spewing most intelligent GM's plan longer than just for the current season .

Funny how you keep leaving Kadri out considering he's due for an extension this summer . He's a 7th overall pick and currently leading the team in points so if he continues at this pace he's going to want to get paid . If i'm his agent and he puts up close to 40 pts this year i'll use PK's deal as a comparable

It's also funny for someone who accuses me of being negative that you continue to slag our current players just to defend your position that our cap situation is great .

lLeafer

Feb 27, 2012
Grabo had 3 goal and 9 pts in 27 games over 2 seasons and then came to Toronto and put up 48pts in 78 games on a bottom end team and was rewarded with a 3 year deal for 2.9 mil a year .

Frattin has 7 goals and 10 pts in 10 games at the same age as Grabo's first year and has played a very solid all around game . He's due after next year so his contract isn't a pressing concern but next year Kessel as well as Dion need to be resigned so the club better start planning ahead because unlike the bs your spewing most intelligent GM's plan longer than just for the current season .

Funny how you keep leaving Kadri out considering he's due for an extension this summer . He's a 7th overall pick and currently leading the team in points so if he continues at this pace he's going to want to get paid . If i'm his agent and he puts up close to 40 pts this year i'll use PK's deal as a comparable

It's also funny for someone who accuses me of being negative that you continue to slag our current players just to defend your position that our cap situation is great .

I'm not "slagging" them I'm just saying youre overvaluing them.. ok if Frattin continues to be as hot as he has over 10 FREAKIN games then he's going to get great money. Same goes for Kadri.. but if they both continue at this pace then we won't need to make more cap room for marquee players because we'll already have them won't we?

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Yep. From another thread. They arent all C but u get the point. Find me a first line C who signed for less as a UFA recently.

I don't know. I see a lot of players on that list that have all had significantly better seasons than Grabovski and then a bunch of other guys who teams no doubt regret signing. I think Grabovski is in the latter group. In fact, I would use half the players on that list to prove that giving Grabovski at $5.5 is a mistake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad