LD Zeev Buium - University of Denver, NCAA (2024 Draft)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It’s gonna be real interesting to see where he goes because there is a lot of physical traits versus well-honed hockey IQ stuff to debate when it comes to Zeev versus the rest of the top of the field.

That’s not to say Buium isn’t physically gifted or that the others all lack IQ but from a measurable/tools standpoint you’ve got some real thoroughbreds in guys like Levshunov, Silayev, Yakemchuk…even Dickinson is a 6-3 stud who can skate like the wind.

Now Shai is a big boy and maybe Zeev isn’t even done growing but he will probably never standout in some of the ways that each of those other guys do as pure specimens of clay.

But Buium at this point blows them all away in terms of two-way feel for the game and it’s clear at this point concerns about his skating or size (I mean he’s not even small, he’s just not a behemoth) are definitely fading.

But I think where he goes versus the rest is going to say a lot about what an organization values in terms of traits versus hockey sense.
I see great offensive IQ, but not defensive. He's ok, but simply isn't dogged, persistent, and successful enough in the D zone for me to call him a two way threat. Right now he's more of a one way threat who's OK on D.

A really good defender should be noticeable breaking up line rushes and offensive plays, a guy who wins the majority of puck battles in the D zone, have excellent positioning and judgement when it comes to gambling, know how to use leverage against opponents, etc.

I don't see any of that from him except, perhaps, good positioning. I also like his strength on his skates, which is an underrated quality.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I see great offensive IQ, but not defensive. He's ok, but simply isn't dogged, persistent, and successful enough in the D zone for me to call him a two way threat. Right now he's more of a one way threat who's OK on D.

A really good defender should be noticeable breaking up line rushes and offensive plays, a guy who wins the majority of puck battles in the D zone, have excellent positioning and judgement when it comes to gambling, know how to use leverage against opponents, etc.

I don't see any of that from him except, perhaps, good positioning. I also like his strength on his skates, which is an underrated quality.
Not sure what you were seeing. I saw him make very mature defensive plays. Whether that was the breakout passes under pressure, getting in good position to block shots, or taking away the puck from some of BU's best. He is very good at squaring up with forwards and knows how to defend his position on them. The one knock on him are his physical traits and straight line speed.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Not sure what you were seeing. I saw him make very mature defensive plays. Whether that was the breakout passes under pressure, getting in good position to block shots, or taking away the puck from some of BU's best. He is very good at squaring up with forwards and knows how to defend his position on them. The one knock on him are his physical traits and straight line speed.
What’s wrong with his straight line speed? He’s excellent at skating the puck up the ice. If he wants to click into the next gear bc of a little pressure, he makes it look like he does it with ease.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's definitely improved this season defensively, but he still isn't like a shutdown defensive defenseman if the rest wasn't there.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
He's definitely improved this season defensively, but he still isn't like a shutdown defensive defenseman if the rest wasn't there.
I think he still goes high in the draft regardless. If teams are regretting not taking Hughes earlier, I think this could be a very similar case.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Most of the top defensemen in the NHL wouldn't be considered shutdown guys if you took away their 2-way play. The top guys are well balanced and Buium is definitely that as a prospect; whether he ends up that in the NHL is the guessing game as always.

Reactions: User1996

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
What’s wrong with his straight line speed? He’s excellent at skating the puck up the ice. If he wants to click into the next gear bc of a little pressure, he makes it look like he does it with ease.
He's got strong hips because of his thick build. He generates most of that speed you see from his cross-overs. When all were talking about is going from point a to point b as fast as you can, Zeev is pretty average. Straight line speed won't hold him back because he is a good skater in all other facets. He is remarkably elusive as seen in the game against BU.

In this draft, I only see a case for Levshunov and Parekh being a better option over Buium (for defensemen). Yakemchuk, Silayev, and Dickinson just haven't shown enough for me to consider them at the top end

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Skating is probably the most poorly evaluated skill on HF. I'm certainly guilty of it, too, but people take too binary of an approach where you're either a great skater a la McDavid, Hughes, Makar, etc. or your skating is a weakness. There is so much in between that.

Would Buium benefit from improving parts of his skating like his straight line speed? Yes. Is his skating a weakness as a standalone attribute? No.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Most of the top defensemen in the NHL wouldn't be considered shutdown guys if you took away their 2-way play. The top guys are well balanced and Buium is definitely that as a prospect; whether he ends up that in the NHL is the guessing game as always.

The best defense is puck possession, Buium looks like he can be a possession monster.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The best defense is puck possession, Buium looks like he can be a possession monster.
And how well does that work when you are playing against Mackinnon or McDavid?

Pretending that defense is as simple as possessing the puck all the time and playing keep away is naive, and if you look at statistics, impossible. Bobby Orr was one of the few Dmen who could get away with it, and he actually was excellent defensively without the puck. Great shot blocker, great defensive instincts and stick, great in puck battles, and physically strong net front.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

Pretending that defense is as simple as possessing the puck all the time and playing keep away is naive, and if you look at statistics, impossible. Bobby Orr was one of the few Dmen who could get away with it, and he actually was excellent defensively without the puck. Great shot blocker, great defensive instincts and stick, great in puck battles, and physically strong net front.

He didn't say puck possession was the only effective defense. There are a lot of effective approaches to defending well.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond

The best way to defend McDavid and MacKinnon is not let them touch the puck which would mean yes, having a very good possession game.

But also - not many can defend those two anyway. You do what you can, but they can blow by pretty much anyone, so still not sure what point you’re trying to make

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I see little reason he can’t go second at this point.

It would be hella cool to see Celebrini-Buium-Levshunov go 1-2-3 for an all NCAA freshman sweep of the top spots. And an American, Canadian and Belarusian to boot, showing what a versatile path this is for top future stars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad