LD Yegor Rykov - Severstal Cherepovets, KHL (2016, 132nd, NJD; traded to NYR)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Shero is great at drafting, we gave up a 2nd and a prospect who may never come over to the NHL for a 30 goal scorer. Prospects are so overvalued on these boards, especially for a team pushing for their first playoff appearance since 2012.

Dahlin might never come over. You are claiming Rykov might never come over due to his nationality, which makes little sense, given the overwhelming majority of Russian players do come over. Its a really bad narrative.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Dahlin might never come over. You are claiming Rykov might never come over due to his nationality, which makes little sense, given the overwhelming majority of Russian players do come over. Its a really bad narrative.

I think you may be oversimplifying it. I think there is a good chance Rykov chooses to play for NYR. In part because you are there, the goalie and Kovalchuk may be joining him, and a solid ex-pat community exists in NY. I am not sure that he would have wanted to play for NJ. Either way, the player has to take a pay cut to begin an NHL career, which means it is the off ice part of the equation that has to appeal to him. Some Russian players have come and gone and some have taken years to arrive. It varies and each situation is unique. I agree it's a bad narrative in that it assumes that the same factors weigh the same for each player.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think you may be oversimplifying it. I think there is a good chance Rykov chooses to play for NYR. In part because you are there, the goalie and Kovalchuk may be joining him, and a solid ex-pat community exists in NY. I am not sure that he would have wanted to play for NJ. Either way, the player has to take a pay cut to begin an NHL career, which means it is the off ice part of the equation that has to appeal to him. Some Russian players have come and gone and some have taken years to arrive. It varies and each situation is unique. I agree it's a bad narrative in that it assumes that the same factors weigh the same for each player.

So did Tarasenko not want to play in St. Louis? These players want to play in the NHL. They understand that they don't get to pick their initial destination. I don't think they even are accustomed well enough to American culture that they'd really care about where that is the first few years.

The pay cut issue is also made into a bigger deal than it is. Most of these players at 18-23 year olds in are not paid 5M per year. Even if they are really good, they make like 1M-3M, which compared to an NHL ELC and performance bonuses can be made up easily over the course of a career. The problem is them having to play in the AHL where they only make 70k. The NHL ELC pay compared to KHL pay for players in the 18-23 range is not that much of a difference.

And I don't think NJ fans should be trashing Rykov out the door with the "He's Russian, he'll never come over anyway" type of mantra. I'm not saying thats exactly what you are saying, although it kind of seemed like that, but I'll take your word. Either way, you guys still have some good prospects over in Russia who might play for your NHL team, and I don't know why the mindset wouldn't be that they'll come over once they are ready for the NHL, and help your NHL team.

My3Sons

Sponsor
So did Tarasenko not want to play in St. Louis? These players want to play in the NHL. They understand that they don't get to pick their initial destination. I don't think they even are accustomed well enough to American culture that they'd really care about where that is the first few years.

The pay cut issue is also made into a bigger deal than it is. Most of these players at 18-23 are not paid 5M per year. Even if they are really good, they make like 1M-3M, which compared to an NHL ELC and performance bonuses can be made up easily over the course of a career. The problem is them having to play in the AHL where they only make 70k. The NHL ELC pay compared to KHL pay for players in the 18-23 range is not that much of a difference.

Tarasenko is an anecdote, as is the kid on Dallas who returned to the KHL and the NJ draft pick who returned to Russia this season when things didn't break right for him. They aren't all that relevant to Rykov beyond suggesting that KHL players (they don't even have to be Russian) have options that western players don't. I agree the AHL issue is a big one. It probably also depends upon where a player is in Russia. Rykov plays on a stacked well funded team. He's probably going to be offered a nice contract when this one is up that will be greater than an NHL ELC. My guess is that with a rebuild starting NYR can offer Rykov a guaranteed NHL spot when his current deal is up which may be all he wants, but I'm still skeptical NJ moved him without having some discussions with his agent about his intentions with respect to playing in NJ. He'd have been a nice fit in NJ and I cannot imagine Shero skipping his due diligence with the craptastic defense units NJ has leaned on the past two years.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Maybe in four years. Lou would have lost sleep over that. Shero sees the bigger picture.

Or maybe it will happen rather sooner, than later. Say, in a year or two. But even if it's four years, time flies like an interstellar spaceship. You will forget about this Grabner guy pretty soon and start cursing about "that damned trade" instead... I mean, it's a very possible situation.

Reactions: MichaelJ

My3Sons

Sponsor
Or maybe it will happen rather sooner, than later. Say, in a year or two. But even if it's four years, time flies like an interstellar spaceship. You will forget about this Grabner guy pretty soon and start cursing about "that damned trade" instead... I mean, it's a very possible situation.

No I won’t because I’m an actual adult and see all this as entertainment not some referendum on my value as a person. Maybe it’s different to you.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Only 31 Russians have played an NHL game this season, and only 22 Russians have played over 20 games this season. I'm not sure exactly where you got this impression that the "majority of Russians come over" when so few of them even play in the NHL. The fact is, unless you're a top player, you can make more money and play more minutes in the KHL while also playing at home. The times have changed.

Also, do you know how many of those are rookies this year? Two. Sergachev and Antipin. Last year there were 8 Russian rookies in the NHL who played more than 30 games, and only 5 of them are still playing in the NHL.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Only 31 Russians have played an NHL game this season, and only 22 Russians have played over 20 games this season. I'm not sure exactly where you got this impression that the "majority of Russians come over" when so few of them even play in the NHL. The fact is, unless you're a top player, you can make more money and play more minutes in the KHL while also playing at home. The times have changed.

Also, do you know how many of those are rookies this year? Two. Sergachev and Antipin. Last year there were 8 Russian rookies in the NHL who played more than 30 games, and only 5 of them are still playing in the NHL.

And how many of the recent best ones came over? Did Tarasenko come over? What about Kuznetsov? Panarin? Buchnevich? Zaitsev? They all did.

If Rykov becomes good enough that he's more than a 6D/7D, he'll come over, take up a spot and make a lot of money in the NHL.

The ones who stay in Russia or go back are players who play very small roles in the NHL. And it's actually like that for players of all nationalities to an extent. There are Americans and Canadians who could try to earn a small role on an NHL team every season, but would prefer a guaranteed salary that they won't get if they are sent to the AHL.

If Rykov only becomes like a 6/7D, I don't think we'll even really care if he comes over, but it's looking more like he's trending towards a top 4D.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
And how many of the recent best ones came over? Did Tarasenko come over? What about Kuznetsov? Panarin? Buchnevich? Zaitsev? They all did.

If Rykov becomes good enough that he's more than a 6D/7D, he'll come over, take up a spot and make a lot of money in the NHL.

The ones who stay in Russia or go back are players who play very small roles in the NHL. And it's actually like that for players of all nationalities to an extent. There are Americans and Canadians who could try to earn a small role on an NHL team every season, but would prefer a guaranteed salary that they won't get if they are sent to the AHL.

If Rykov only becomes like a 6/7D, I don't think we'll even really care if he comes over, but it's looking more like he's trending towards a top 4D.
Based on?

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

This is exactly what I said, "unless you're a top player". The chances of Rykov being a top 4 defenseman in the NHL are slim. The possibility is there, but it's not a likely outcome. He's essentially the 6th defenseman on SKA this season. He has promise, but don't fool yourself into thinking he's some top prospect, because he's not.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Based on?

What I've watched. I've watched probably 1/4 of SKA's games the last two seasons.

You can ask the Russian posters here as well about their opinion.

It was widely thought that Rykov outplayed Sergachyov at the 2017 WJC. I also watched all those games and also a number of the 2016 WJC games.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is exactly what I said, "unless you're a top player". The chances of Rykov being a top 4 defenseman in the NHL are slim. The possibility is there, but it's not a likely outcome. He's essentially the 6th defenseman on SKA this season. He has promise, but don't fool yourself into thinking he's some top prospect, because he's not.

It's unfortunate that you have reverted to this tactic. Since you guys traded him, minimize his current ability. I've seen this many times before. I wish success to the players my team trades.

You can take a look at what I've been saying about Rykov since before he was drafted.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It's unfortunate that you have reverted to this tactic. Since you guys traded him, minimize his current ability. I've seen this many times before. I wish success to the players my team trades.

You can take a look at what I've been saying about Rykov since before he was drafted.
I wasn't high on him before the trade, there is no tactic here. He has promise, but the probability of success and definitely the probability of him having NHL success is fairly low.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I wasn't high on him before the trade, there is no tactic here. He has promise, but the probability of success and definitely the probability of him having NHL success is fairly low.

I think, you aren't even amongst the majority of Devils fans. And you're trying to convince other team's fans, that Rykov sucks. Yeah, your chances aren't very big.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Saying he won't become an NHL regular means exactly this for any NHL prospect.
I never said that. I said the probability of him becoming an NHL regular are low, which is exactly the case for pretty much every prospect with his pedigree. Add the fact that the NHL has very few Russians who aren't top end players because they can play at home in a better situation.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I never said that. I said the probability of him becoming an NHL regular are low, which is exactly the case for pretty much every prospect with his pedigree. Add the fact that the NHL has very few Russians who aren't top end players because they can play at home in a better situation.

Aha, I bet, "his pedigree" means he's Russian. Because, if he was an NA prospect or even Sweden or Finnish, the level of hype would have been much higher. I don't remember a single NA prospect, who wasn't hyped after that kind of WJC success, Yegor had.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
That's not the right way to question about it, I'd say it makes more sense this way: "Does anyone know why would anyone use hockeydb nowadays?". ;)

I wish eliteprospects would improve the way goalie statistics are laid out in player profiles. The only thing hockeydb has on them is that they give a more complete statistical picture on goalies, including win-loss records.

Otherwise hockeydb is a dinosaur and getting a player's name completely wrong is inexcusable.

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Aha, I bet, "his pedigree" means he's Russian. Because, if he was an NA prospect or even Sweden or Finnish, the level of hype would have been much higher. I don't remember a single NA prospect, who wasn't hyped after that kind of WJC success, Yegor had.
"Level of hype"? Who cares how much hype a prospect has on HF, that has nothing to do with their actual probability of being a good NHL player. Plenty of players on here who are overhyped, and plenty that are underhyped, it doesn't change a thing about the actual prospect.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
"Level of hype"? Who cares how much hype a prospect has on HF, that has nothing to do with their actual probability of being a good NHL player. Plenty of players on here who are overhyped, and plenty that are underhyped, it doesn't change a thing about the actual prospect.

Alright, so what factors do actually have any impact on that probability?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad