LD Yegor Rykov - Severstal Cherepovets, KHL (2016, 132nd, NJD; traded to NYR)

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
The Russian factor is very strong with this one. It is painfully obvious this kid should have been drafted last year and drafted much higher this season. Lets round up some information on this kid.

- 6'2 216 pounds, LHD, 14 April 1997

- Arguably the second best Russian defensmen at 2016 WJC as an 18 year old.

- Arguably top defensmen at 2016 4 NATIONS this august.

- KHL rookie of the week this week. (Averaging nearly 12 minutes a game as 19 year old)

To the KHL followers, what sort of potential does he have? Top 4 defensmen? Top 2 defensmen? Fringe player. He was known as an offensive defensmen that needed work in his own end in 2015.

Edit: NJ really needs to hit a homerun with this kid.

Last edited:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
As I'm extremely lazy, I'll just copy here what I've wrote before the draft: :)

Rykov is a very gifted defender in terms of size, skating, shot, puckmoving and powerplay orchestration, who is still in the process of putting that all together. Wasn't drafted last year, as he was far from being defensively reliable back then, but things have definitely got better. Is a bit error prone, but again I see a significant progress here, although still he is very inconsistent.

Comparison/Projection: Rykov reminds me a bit of Vyacheslav Voynov, long-term ceiling could be a second defensive unit's puckmover.
At the draft day: Rykov could become a 'get it while it's cheap' guy somewhere in the lower fifth round, I think his stock is pretty likely to rise next year. For a guess, let's go with Colorado.
After the draft day: next season Rykov is expected to be the leading defensman for Russia U20 NT at the WJC, in the long term perspective I'd say he will be developing while playing for SKA in the KHL for the next four years or so before thinking about the NHL.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's really good. I'm certainly no Devils fan, but Rykov was a very good pick. SKA doesn't give much playing time to younger players, so it might be tough for Rykov to get the playing time he would, if he played for a bad team.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
He's really good. I'm certainly no Devils fan, but Rykov was a very good pick. SKA doesn't give much playing time to younger players, so it might be tough for Rykov to get the playing time he would, if he played for a bad team.

This is true, but Rykov has been getting around 11-12 minutes of ice time a game so far, which isn't bad. Obviously I'd like him to get more, but he has to earn it...and for a 19 year old kid to be getting consistent ice time for a very good team in the second best league on the planet is some fantastic news.

I'm really looking forward to following Rykov's path of development. He definitely looks like he could have top-4 NHL upside.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Well, he was the best Russian defenseman vs Canada. Of course, Russian defense shouldn't have the best in the game such that...

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Rykov was bound to be one of the best players at this tournament. He plays for an NHL team. Competing for playing time at SKA is like competing for playing time on an NHL team.

You know he's very good, if he gets regular playing time for SKA. He also does pretty well for SKA.

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
Rykov was bound to be one of the best players at this tournament. He plays for an NHL team. Competing for playing time at SKA is like competing for playing time on an NHL team.

You know he's very good, if he gets regular playing time for SKA. He also does pretty well for SKA.

In KHL each team must have u20 (or u21, I'm not sure) player in the squad, so Rykov is competing only with another young guys.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
In KHL each team must have u20 (or u21, I'm not sure) player in the squad, so Rykov is competing only with another young guys.

Look at his ice time though. They don't give him 2 or 3 minutes per game just to satisfy the requirement. He plays regular shifts. He's good. I watch a lot of SKA games. They obviously have better defenseman who could be good NHL players, so he plays a small role on the defense, but Rykov earns a spot on that defense. He doesn't only get it because they have to have a u20 in the squad.

What's his contract status? Does anyone know how soon he could realisticly come over, or if he has any interest in it?

EP says another 2 and a half years. 99% of them have interest in playing in the NHL. You shouldn't worry about it.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Really like what I've seen in the first 2 games, his vision, shot, skating and puck handling all seem very good. Good size too. For those who have seen more of him in the KHL, how's his defensive game?

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
This guy is just so calm. Ice in his veins out there in all three zones. Reminds me of Adam Larsson in that way.

Primary PP assist just now, up to 6 points in 3 games. Tied for second in tournament scoring.

Last edited:

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Named Russia's best defenseman today, one of the three MVPs.

He's catapulted himself into the Devils' top 5 prospects in my view.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Rykov was awfully good. Every time the puck was on his stick I felt comfortable.

Plays very well under pressure. Not as well as Provorov of course, but still thinks through plays very quickly.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Ok, so he's got two years left on his contract. But what if he decides to "retire" from the KHL and come to play in New Jersey? :naughty:

I seem to recall someone doing something like that before and it worked for his new team.:sarcasm:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Voted top defensmen for Russia at Swedish Hockey Games with 2 assists in 4 games. NJ needs this guy as soon as he is able to break that contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad