LD Shai Buium - University of Denver, NCAA (2021, 36th, DET)

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Surprised to see HockeyProspect have Buium in their top-25. Can anyone tell me a bit more about his game?

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Big man that moves well, after that there's not much there. I watched the videos to try and understand where they were coming from on that one, because Hockeyprospect is normally who I trust the most, but I didn't see much to like.
I've watched him a fair bit since I posted that and I kind of disagree. His hands have impressed me and he has strong awareness. Defends well. Not a bad pick toward the end of the 2nd round.

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Born and raised in Southern California, Shia Buium is also the son of Israeli immigrants. He is another example of the NHL’s increased visibility in the southern states in recent years. Buium is also another product from Shattuck St. Mary’s. He split this season between high school hockey for Shattuck St. Mary’s and playing in the USHL for the Sioux City Musketeers. At the high school level, Buium scored two goals and 11 assists for 13 points in 17 games. In the USHL, Buium scored four goals and 22 assists for 26 points in 50 games. He also added one goal and two assists for three points in four playoff games. Buium was named to the USHL Second All-Rookie Team.

Buium was drafted by Sioux in the sixth round, 82nd overall, in the 2019 USHL Futures Draft. He played just three games for the Musketeers that year, picking up an assist. Buium also put up 14 goals and 43 assists for 57 points in 46 games for the Shattuck St. Mary’s team in the AAA midget U16 league. Buium is committed to playing NCAA Division One Hockey for the University of Denver Pioneers next season.

2021 NHL Draft #65: Shai Buium Scouting Report - LWOS

Reactions: wings95

JoshTessler

Jun 18, 2020
Paul Zuk from my team at Smaht Scouting wrote this report on Buium. Check it out. Hit him up if you have any questions.

Kase

May 1, 2016
I like this for Detroit, although hoped he would be available later in the second for Minnesota to pick.

A lot of good tools from size, skating, puck moving, puck handling and solid all around game to continue building his game on.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
I really liked this kid from couple of looks I had. Big, physical, can do playmaking and run a second powerplay if needed but is more of a defensive guy, good IQ. Weaker at skating.

Detroit is really going for big defenders this draft early on.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I really liked this kid from couple of looks I had. Big, physical, can do playmaking and run a second powerplay if needed but is more of a defensive guy, good IQ. Weaker at skating.

Detroit is really going for big defenders this draft early on.
We've been doing that since Stevie took over. Seider, Tuomisto, Wallinder, Edvinsson and now Buium. All are large, all were viewed as project picks at the time of draft. We shall see how this goes.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Is this enough 23 or younger depth at Red Wings defence? :D

RD Moritz Seider, 6'4 - 20y
RD Filip Hronek 6'0 - 23y
RD Antti Tuomisto, 6'4 - 20y
RD Gustav Lindström, 6'2 - 22y
RD Alex Cotton, 6'2 - 20y
RD Wyatt Newpower, 6'3 - 23y
RD Seth Barton, 6'2 - 21y
RD Gustav Berglund, 6'2 - 20y

LD Simon Edvinsson, 6'4½ - 18y
LD Albert Johansson, 6'1 - 20y
LD William Wallinder, 6'3 - 18y
LD Shai Buium, 6'2 - 18y
LD Donovan Sebrango, 6'1 - 19y
LD Jared McIsaac, 6'1 - 21y
LD Eemil Viro, 6'0 - 20y
LD Cooper Moore, 6'1 - 20y
LD Kasper Kotkansalo, 6'2 - 22y
LD Kyle Aucoin, 5'11 - 19y

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
We've been doing that since Stevie took over. Seider, Tuomisto, Wallinder, Edvinsson and now Buium. All are large, all were viewed as project picks at the time of draft. We shall see how this goes.

Luckily for Detroit, this is good time for them to take projects. If even some guys hit when they are good in 2-3 years, they will have big & strong blueline that can do skating & playmaking. Bold move but I like. it. Good rewards if at least 2 of them hit their ceiling.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Luckily for Detroit, this is good time for them to take projects. If even some guys hit when they are good in 2-3 years, they will have big & strong blueline that can do skating & playmaking. Bold move but I like. it. Good rewards if at least 2 of them hit their ceiling.
Yup I like the strategy. Buium has a lot of potential. Taking Mazur in the 3rd, I like a little less, but he's our Draper nepotism pick, so it's whatever.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
Yup I like the strategy. Buium has a lot of potential. Taking Mazur in the 3rd, I like a little less, but he's our Draper nepotism pick, so it's whatever.

Buium was going for Montreal on my mock draft in first round. I thought he had lot of stuff going for him that Montreal liked.

Yzerman is kinda annoying rare GM whose actions make sense. Similar to Kekeläinen, Sakic and very few others.

Reactions: Henkka

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
This guy made the NCHC all rookie team and I haven’t heard a peep. 17 points in 34 games isn’t bad for a rookie, especially when he is viewed as a defensive defenseman coming into last years draft. Anyone who has watched Denver care to give thoughts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad