LD Miro Heiskanen - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2017, 3rd, DAL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
That's the thing. He doesn't need that much strength to do it. His skating is effortless because of how he glides. That's why he'll be able to play a lot.
Also, someone pointed out in Jatkoaika how he doesn't waste too much of his energy wrestling with guys but instead relies on his stick work and skating when it comes to defending. That could be just his style of defending or he knows that one way he puts himself into disadvantage is when he is trying to outmuscle some of the veterans on the ice.

27.53 ice time last night. Back to back game today, let's see if anything changes.

Reactions: Ippenator

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
He won't play tonight. :(

Not injured so I think they want to give him some rest. Long season, WJC and Olympics etc. Understandable.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He won't play tonight. :(

Not injured so I think they want to give him some rest. Long season, WJC and Olympics etc. Understandable.

This would be an easy year to burn him out. He's going to play in multiple national team tourneys which include a lot of travel this year, on top of all the Liiga games.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
This would be an easy year to burn him out. He's going to play in multiple national team tourneys which include a lot of travel this year, on top of all the Liiga games.

He can't manage to play a full season of hockey, plus multiple tournaments as a teenager? If he doesn't have the energy for that while he's young, how bad is he gonna be when he gets older? ;)

I'm pretty psyched to see him maintaining his high level of play so far. If he can continue this while playing in so many different situations, teams, and tournaments, it'll add to the already impressive showing he's had so far. I'm looking forward to seeing how he manages in the olympics.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
He can't manage to play a full season of hockey, plus multiple tournaments as a teenager? If he doesn't have the energy for that while he's young, how bad is he gonna be when he gets older? ;)

I'm pretty psyched to see him maintaining his high level of play so far. If he can continue this while playing in so many different situations, teams, and tournaments, it'll add to the already impressive showing he's had so far. I'm looking forward to seeing how he manages in the olympics.

Decision to give some rest for Heiskanen was made by HIFK's coaching staff.
So it wasn't Heiskanen's own decision to skip tonight's game vs Jukurit in Mikkeli.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Decision to give some rest for Heiskanen was made by HIFK's coaching staff.
So it wasn't Heiskanen's own decision to skip tonight's game vs Jukurit in Mikkeli.

I know, and I agree with it. The wink was to signify my sarcasm because I'm trying to temper my expectation for Heiskanen because he's looking too good to be true, lol.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Heiskanen will also probably go to Texas at the end of the year, then start right back up for Traverse Prospect tournament after a short summer. Getting some downtime will be good.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I'm thinking he must be nursing some small injury or something that they think is too small to report

Spotty 2 Hotty

Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Heiskanen will also probably go to Texas at the end of the year, then start right back up for Traverse Prospect tournament after a short summer. Getting some downtime will be good.

I hope so. I haven't been down the road to Cedar Park and seen the Texas Stars play for a couple years, but if he gets a few games this year, I'll be getting tickets for sure.

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
Heiskanen is a player who doesnt need AHL time. If goes toNA he will ölay in NHL no mattter what.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Heiskanen is a player who doesnt need AHL time. If goes toNA he will ölay in NHL no mattter what.

He's not getting into the NHL this season, so having him get a few more games in at the end of the year with the Texas Stars wouldn't be bad.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017

It's about adjusting to the North American game. Dallas does it all the time with prospects who will be full-time in the AHL next season coming from Europe. You give them 5-10 games at the end of the AHL season. Mattias Janmark, Niklas Hansson, John Klingberg, Ludwig Bystrom, Esa Lindell all are prospects who have gone through this process.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I'm thinking he must be nursing some small injury or something that they think is too small to report

This situation could be the reason why HIFK's coaching staff decided it's better for Heiskanen to skip Jukurit game.

Ilves defenceman Juuso Pulli tried big hit on Heiskanen in 3 period.
Heiskanen managed to avoid overtaking but still he fell and swayed Heiskanen didn't injure himself but still that was dangerous situation.

Reactions: cc

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

A lot depends too on that how far HIFK goes to SM liiga playoffs.
HIFK is right now in 4th place in SM liiga's regular season standing.

If HIFK gets eliminated in liiga quarterfinals it's possible Heiskanen comes to AHL.
But if HIFK gets eliminated in SM liiga semifinals it's really likely Heiskanen joins after that Finland's hockey world championships training camp.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
How has he looked so far in the WJC (for those who have watched Finland)?
1st game against Canada he had a slow start. Since the 3rd period of that game he has been as expected. Apart from Jokiharju he has been our most active defender offensively, while also being great defensively. Terrific against a rush with his stick, keeps his man in check in his own zone. He and Välimäki seem to have found great chemistry.

Reactions: Bhrangerfan0809

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Looked like he didn't give two shits about the WJC. Or was he just pissed off that he had to clean up after Valimaki? Either way not even close to the same player he really is.

Reactions: Hockeyisl1fe

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
It seemed like the less space had a big impact on Heiskanen since he just wasn't able to skate around like you see him in Liiga. Even though he had couple of mistakes which resulted into goals, I think you could still see how great and mature he is defensively. He hardly lost his man and was always tying the sticks in front of the goalie. Saw him intercepting odd man rushes before the opponent reached blueline multiple times. In general, he is great at using his stick when defending.

Yes, he was somewhat disappointing, especially offensively but when it comes to defending, I think you were able to see him being pretty much flawless in that area if you focused on him. He did the little things right. Also, it seemed like there was some agreement about Välimäki being the more offensive pair whereas Heiskanen played a bit safer. Maybe that's just me.

Reactions: Hockeyisl1fe

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Very disappointing offensively wise. I wonder what it was, he couldn't really get it fully going at any point. Should have played with more defensively orientated Vaakanainen than Välimäki maybe?

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I watched all his goal hilights in the finish league and was left thinking that he didn't look that impressive in most of the goals. I don't think he is going to end up producing much offense at the NHL level.

Reactions: Lowlife

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Adjusting to NHL rink was the reason why AHL was my 1st option for Heiskanen in this tourney.

Our defense was strong, as was Heiskanen defensively. Wasn't highlight Heiskanen offensively this year, but none of our guys were.
So you have to wonder why.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I watched all his goal hilights in the finish league and was left thinking that he didn't look that impressive in most of the goals. I don't think he is going to end up producing much offense at the NHL level.

So you are predicting Heiskanen will be bust in NHL based on one U20 WJC tournament?
I don't know what a hell you have expected on Heiskanen but he isn't so bad as you think.
And yes i'm HIFK fan and I've seen probably all Heiskanen's games in HIFK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad