LD Miro Heiskanen (2017, 3rd, DAL) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leopain

Jun 15, 2017
Zubov was what made those Stars team function and be a perenial contender for a decade and when he had to retire the team completely fell to ****. Yeah he didn't get too much personal hardware and accolades but he was an elite player offensively and defensively. Heiskanen is a very good prospect but lets not get carried away just yet.

Maybe Modano, Nieuwendyk, Hull, to name a few, had also something to do with the Stars being contenders in the 90's, but what do I know?

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Maybe Modano, Nieuwendyk, Hull, to name a few, had also something to do with the Stars being contenders in the 90's, but what do I know?

Obviously it's a team game, but most Stars fans consider Zubov to be the best and most important player out of all of those. To say he's definitively better than 4 hall of famers (including Belfour) is ridiculously high praise.

Suffice it to say the comparison between Heiskanen and Zubov is a poor one.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Modano's contribution one could surely compare to Zubov, but Hull?

Really, already suggesting that Heiskanen is about to overtake one of the elite defensemen in league never mind franchise history is just silly at this point.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
We're all kind of jumping on the Zubov comparison but I think that poster originally meant he's the new Zubov as in he's looking to be a cornerstone franchise defenseman for many years. That's something I completely agree with.

Noma

Is it certain that Heiskanen will match Zubov's career? Nope.
Is it probable? Wouldn't say that either, too many variables.
Is it possible? No doubt, and it's also possible he'll go far beyond that.

Predicting the future is a difficult task.

Reactions: Ippenator

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Zubov was what made those Stars team function and be a perenial contender for a decade and when he had to retire the team completely fell to ****. Yeah he didn't get too much personal hardware and accolades but he was an elite player offensively and defensively. Heiskanen is a very good prospect but lets not get carried away just yet.

This is a bad take.

Zubov was a part of it.
But the thing that made the late 90's mid 00's Stars so great is they had a roster full of talent and could quite literally play any style of game on any given night. There was so much talent on that team that anyone (including Zubov) could go down and the team had enough talent to compensate.

The team Fell off because of bankruptcy and Injury.
the 08-09 season Only Ribeiro, Niskanen, Modano Eriksson stayed healthy then it was into the throws of bankruptcy and mismanagement that we're still suffering from.
it wasn't Zubov leaving.
Morrow missing 90% of the season,
Richards roughly half the season,
had a bigger impact on the 08-09 cluster-f*** than Zubov.

As well as the old guard being just that and missing half/most of the season (Boucher, Lehtinen, Modano,etc)

serp

Jan 17, 2016
This is a bad take.

Zubov was a part of it.
But the thing that made the late 90's mid 00's Stars so great is they had a roster full of talent and could quite literally play any style of game on any given night. There was so much talent on that team that anyone (including Zubov) could go down and the team had enough talent to compensate.

The team Fell off because of bankruptcy and Injury.
the 08-09 season Only Ribeiro, Niskanen, Modano Eriksson stayed healthy then it was into the throws of bankruptcy and mismanagement that we're still suffering from.
it wasn't Zubov leaving.
Morrow missing 90% of the season,
Richards roughly half the season,
had a bigger impact on the 08-09 cluster-**** than Zubov.

As well as the old guard being just that and missing half/most of the season (Boucher, Lehtinen, Modano,etc)

That defense was a complete mess after Zubov was gone for many many years . Out of the old guys Zubov was clearly the most important one especially at the end. Even near / at 40 he was still one of the best defenseman on the planet but couldn't stay healthy anymore . Modano was a third liner at that point . Lehtinen injuries clearly took a toll on his play on the ice. Zubov was still great when he was in the lineup which was not very much during his last two NHL years but he his great KHL season in 09/10 showed he still had game.

Hope #56 gets retired soon because it needs to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: StiffSquid

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
5th fastest teenage dman to 10 goals in NHL history
7th in goals amongst dmen in the NHL
4th on the Stars in goal scoring and only the 4th player on the team to hit double digits in goals this season so far..you can probably guess who the other 3 are

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I'm still surprised by his offense. If Dallas wasnt the worst or second last team at scoring I bet he'd have a couple more points

But, damn this kid is awesome

Reactions: Husqvarna

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
He was stuck on 9 goals for 12 games before he scored last night too, so he was so close to breaking this record in just 41 games.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I mean Bogosian was a very high draft pick just didn't develop into what he was supposed to become when he was drafted 3rd overall in 2008

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
I feel like he's not getting anything for free. And what i mean by that is that he's not getting the lucky assists by giving up the puck at the right time. Almost all his points have come directly as a result of his own actions. What I'm saying is that i feel like he should have more points.
I agree that his point totals don't do enough justice for how good he has also been in the offensive zone.

For example, he is good at firing sneaky and hard wristers through the players from the blueline. There has been countless times a dangerous rebound has happened because of his wristers, only to unluckily bounce over teammates stick who nearly had an open net. He has definately been snakebitten in situtations like those where he has generated a dangerous rebound.

For someone who has watched almost every game by Dallas this season, it's not surprising the team is 3rd worst at scoring goals. Their ability to finish plays has just been horrible this season. Dallas' offence is mostly generated by Benn, Radulov and Seguin and unfortunately for Heiskanen, it's Klingberg-Lindell pair that gets the most minutes with those guys. That leaves Heiskanen to rely too much on the nonexistent finishing ability that the supportive cast in Dallas has.

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I feel like he's not getting anything for free. And what i mean by that is that he's not getting the lucky assists by giving up the puck at the right time. Almost all his points have come directly as a result of his own actions. What I'm saying is that i feel like he should have more points.

This is 100% correct. He has so many good sets up and breakout passes to guys to create chances and the Stars just can't finish on opportunities. In the game against the Panthers just the other day he had a gorgeous setup to Blake Comeau all alone in front of the net and he one-timed it wide :laugh:literally standing 2 feet in front of the net with most of it to shoot at.

Miro really rarely gets the lucky assist that most dmen get. Big reason why 17 of his 25 points have come away from Benn, Seguin, and Radulov. He's left having to produce on his own

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad