LD Luca Fantilli - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA (2021 undrafted)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know he didn't get picked last year, but I think he should be picked this year. And his point totals aren't too great. 5'11 defenseman. I see why he wasn't picked, but he really should've been picked last year and should be again this year. Great skater, transports the puck very well. Good in the defensive zone. Has some ability with the puck.

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
If you're a 5'11' defenseman, you have to do better than 10 points (0-10), -3, on the top scoring team in the USHL if you want to be drafted. You essentially have to be one the best shutdown defenders in your draft class, or put up a ton of points. Chicago is also 4th in goals allowed in their conference, so the team overall does not do a great job at defending, their forwards are carrying the team.

From what I have seen and heard about the USHL this year is that the Western Conference plays a lot more structured pro-style of a game than the Eastern conference that really doesn't have great defensive play or goaltending, but has some high-end forwards that can score.

Reactions: Luc Poitras

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If you're a 5'11' defenseman, you have to do better than 10 points (0-10), -3, on the top scoring team in the USHL if you want to be drafted. You essentially have to be one the best shutdown defenders in your draft class, or put up a ton of points. Chicago is also 4th in goals allowed in their conference, so the team overall does not do a great job at defending, their forwards are carrying the team.

From what I have seen and heard about the USHL this year is that the Western Conference plays a lot more structured pro-style of a game than the Eastern conference that really doesn't have great defensive play or goaltending, but has some high-end forwards that can score.

There was a thread about this type of player recently on the main boards. He’s a good player, just doesn’t put up big point totals and isn’t an overly big player either. He does a very good job of transporting pucks and he’s good defensively, despite his size.

yessir29292

Dec 11, 2021
Is he good enough to be going to Michigan, or did they give him an offer to make sure they got his brother? I’m not saying he’s not good enough, I’m just curious.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Is he good enough to be going to Michigan, or did they give him an offer to make sure they got his brother? I’m not saying he’s not good enough, I’m just curious.

He's good enough to play a bottom pairing role with the Wolverines in time. He might have received an offer regardless but if he wasn't Adam's brother I think the Wolverines would be happy to walk away from him given his play since he committed.

Reactions: yessir29292

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Luca is a lot better than people think and Adam slightly worse than people think. He’s absolutely better than only being known as Adam’s brother.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Now a sophomore at Michigan. Is no longer draft eligible and turns 21 later this month.

Are teams still considering him as an UFA or is he more likely to sign an AHL contract or head to Europe before he gets an NHL opportunity?

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Now a sophomore at Michigan. Is no longer draft eligible and turns 21 later this month.

Are teams still considering him as an UFA or is he more likely to sign an AHL contract or head to Europe before he gets an NHL opportunity?
Maybe Columbus signs him

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

He's still 2.5 years away from that point and right now it's impossible to tell.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I assumed that there was no possible way that a 3rd pairing NCAA defender would turn pro after his sophomore year ... but apparently possibly not.
He's a 2002 born guy. Most of those around the country are graduating college this year. He was born in late December, so you could say most people like that might be a junior instead of senior, but calling him a sophomore is misleading. The guys born the same year as him at universities around the USA are graduating this year.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's a 2002 born guy. Most of those around the country are graduating college this year. He was born in late December, so you could say most people like that might be a junior instead of senior, but calling him a sophomore is misleading. The guys born the same year as him at universities around the USA are graduating this year.

Age is basically irrelevant when you’re a 3rd pairing NCAA defender. These guys don’t get contract offers and play out their full 4 years 99% of the time.

Bloodlines look to be dictating something different in this case.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Age is basically irrelevant when you’re a 3rd pairing NCAA defender. These guys don’t get contract offers and play out their full 4 years 99% of the time.

Bloodlines look to be dictating something different in this case.
To be fair, the two top 4 LHD on that team are two players that were NHL draft picks and will get NHL contracts. They are also a very good team. He could easily have played top 4 in the NCAA the past two seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad