Speculation: LD Joakim Ryan, Los Angeles Kings (unrestricted free agent)

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Have seen talk about Johnny Gaudreau possibly returning to New Jersey but wondering if Ryan could be another "hometown" player signed as possible AHL/lower pairing depth for the organization?

One season removed from playing in 20 playoff games for the Sharks in the playoffs, the former Cornell defenseman did not have the season he would have hoped with the Kings - being a healthy scratch for most of the last third of the season after being injured part of the year.

While there are options with more upside, the 27-year-old could provide a veteran presence to the first-year pros expected in Binghamton next season while also providing depth should injuries hit the main club.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Have seen talk about Johnny Gaudreau possibly returning to New Jersey but wondering if Ryan could be another "hometown" player signed as possible AHL/lower pairing depth for the organization?

One season removed from playing in 20 playoff games for the Sharks in the playoffs, the former Cornell defenseman did not have the season he would have hoped with the Kings - being a healthy scratch for most of the last third of the season after being injured part of the year.

While there are options with more upside, the 27-year-old could provide a veteran presence to the first-year pros expected in Binghamton next season while also providing depth should injuries hit the main club.

I'd rather just re-sign Mermis as he looked good with our current players. But Ryan would be a solid low-risk replacement if Mermis isn't re-signed.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Meh

I feel like this guy gets jocked for being from Jersey.

Don’t really want him. Might be decent as a #6 and definitely would be a solid #7 but don’t see why he’s needed.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
tenor.gif

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Respectfully decline to the OP. We have plenty of bottom 4 talent on our D, so I think we need to attempt to acquire a top pairing D or a player that shows promise but hasn’t been given the opportunity. I would also like to see Mermis brought back and see if he can continue his solid play from last year.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
He'd probably be an upgrade for our lefties. Ty Smith is a lefty, but has played all on the right side in juniors.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He'd probably be an upgrade for our lefties. Ty Smith is a lefty, but has played all on the right side in juniors.

Unless he is clearly better than all of Mueller and Butcher and Claeson and Mermis I'd pass. I don't think blocking prospects by having an underachieving veteran play protected minutes for a developing team is the way to go. As it is there is going to be incentive for whoever coaches next season to try to hide Butcher's five on five defense and Mueller's complete offensive inability. I'd really prefer to suck it up and have Mueller and Butcher play top four minutes as bad as they may be at them to allow Smith first crack at the protected minutes. If Smith isn't ready and needs some AHL time I'd give Mermis first crack on the left side before I'd bring in someone from outside. If Ryan wouldn't mind playing at Bingo and if he is not blocking any prospects from getting meaningful minutes there then ok.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
Boqvist + Wood + 1st (ARI or VAN- whichever becomes the middle pick of the 3). Too much? Too little?

I like Boqvist but if we have Gaudreau, Bratt, and Foote on the left potentially, Boqvist is kinda redundant. Wood can disappear for all I care.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
Boqvist + Wood + 1st (ARI or VAN- whichever becomes the middle pick of the 3). Too much? Too little?

I like Boqvist but if we have Gaudreau, Bratt, and Foote on the left potentially, Boqvist is kinda redundant. Wood can disappear for all I care.
Wrong thread?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And that's the only reason this was brought up.
He’s really nothing special. I think I’d rather give Mermis another look because he hasn’t gotten enough of a look at the NHL level as Ryan has.

I’m pretty sure Joakim was a DD favorite a few years back when he made his NHL debut. And Dano was also hyping him up when we played the Sharks.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I never considered Gaudreau local. Salem County is down near Delaware, and 100% Flyersville.

NJ is so small that everything is pretty “local.” Still less than two hours away from the Prudential center. I’d imagine an hour and 40 minutes in almost any other state would seem a lot closer.

For youth hockey he also would have been coming up north pretty often playing for Holly Dell or Gloucester Catholic. I’m sure northern Jersey would still be pretty familiar for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad