LD Cole Hutson - US National U17 Team, USDP (2024 Draft)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Never say never but I'd be surprised if he's in the running for the top half of the first round barring a growth spurt. If he's 5'10" plus come his draft, sure. Doesn't need to be a huge growth spurt but I don't think NHL teams are there yet on taking a 5'8" defenseman that high in the draft.
Lane certainly isn’t hurting Cole’s case. I grant you this may mean a defender in that size range is more likely to go in the mid to late 1st than the 2nd round where Lane went but I guess we shall see.

We won’t really know just how good either brother will be at the NHL level until they arrive…Lane isn’t just small, he’s almost unprecedentedly small for a guy whose fanbase is foisting such lofty projections onto him in terms of NHL projection. Cole seems like he might be a little bigger eventually but he’d still be small. But they are fantastic to watch and I hope they both continue to excel.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Never say never but I'd be surprised if he's in the running for the top half of the first round barring a growth spurt. If he's 5'10" plus come his draft, sure. Doesn't need to be a huge growth spurt but I don't think NHL teams are there yet on taking a 5'8" defenseman that high in the draft.
While his brother isn't destroying the NHL, he did do very well in a very good league, so one would imagine a team with a late 1st might take the chance, especially since his brother did grow AFTER being drafted and it's very likely Cole will, too.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
While his brother isn't destroying the NHL, he did do very well in a very good league, so one would imagine a team with a late 1st might take the chance, especially since his brother did grow AFTER being drafted and it's very likely Cole will, too.

Lane hasn't grown that much since being drafted. Not in a way that would have surprised or changed the mind of NHL scouts. Cole will need more than that on his side.

I'm not saying a team in the late 1st might not roll the dice on Cole. That wouldn't shock me even if he's still small. But it would shock me to see him go in the top half of the first round as of now. NHL teams reach all the time in the first 15 picks but it's usually not for the undersized guys, and almost never for the undersized defensemen. They reach on plus size; supposed character or leadership; projectibilty; or safe picks.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’ve started to buy into him being at a similar level as Lane, but I’m still a little hesitant that he is and the player type is risky too.

He definitely showed a good amount of improvement with his skating and playmaking as last season went on. Became a lot more confident and trusted his abilities more.

He already defends a little better than Lane and is a little bigger at the same age, although Lane has seen more growth past an age most normally don’t grow, so Lane might’ve simply been a late-developer physically.

I’m interested to see where he goes in the draft next season. Could fall because he’s a small offensive defenseman without great skating or he could be boosted a little by a perception that Lane was under-drafted and it could help him go in the first round.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Slow statistical start to his season with 3 assists in the first 8 games. He needs to produce and produce at a high clip to maintain his draft stock.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Slow statistical start to his season with 3 assists in the first 8 games. He needs to produce and produce at a high clip to maintain his draft stock.
Like you, I've watched all the U-18 games so far this season and he doesn't really have that jump off the page pop that his brother has. Similar in that they move well with the puck but as a whole there's been some inconsistencies in a few games from this group as a team. He's caused a few giveaways holding onto it to long.

One thing I like when I saw him live at the Fall Classic is how hard it can be to take the puck from him when he digs in and holds the offensive line. We'll see how the season develops for him but right now I don't know where I'd have him on a preliminary draft list.

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know his point totals aren't super great this year, but he's looked very good in the games I've seen.

He's improved his decision-making a lot, with the puck and without. Doesn't turn the puck over that much anymore, doesn't take as many dumb penalties, or make risky defensive gambles. Skating and defensive play have also continued to show good strides. He's not as dynamic as Lane offensively. It's possible he's not good enough at any one area to hold a regular spot in the NHL. NHL teams don't love employing 5'10 defensemen unless they are elite offensively, but I could see a world where he's a top 4 two-way defenseman that leans a little more offensive, like a Sam Girard or someone like that.

I have him with a clear first round grade for this year.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I know his point totals aren't super great this year, but he's looked very good in the games I've seen.

He's improved his decision-making a lot, with the puck and without. Doesn't turn the puck over that much anymore, doesn't take as many dumb penalties, or make risky defensive gambles. Skating and defensive play have also continued to show good strides. He's not as dynamic as Lane offensively. It's possible he's not good enough at any one area to hold a regular spot in the NHL. NHL teams don't love employing 5'10 defensemen unless they are elite offensively, but I could see a world where he's a top 4 two-way defenseman that leans a little more offensive, like a Sam Girard or someone like that.

I have him with a clear first round grade for this year.

I have him in the mid 20s right now. I'm realistic in that I don't think he's going 1st round just like his brother didn't.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I have him in the mid 20s right now. I'm realistic in that I don't think he's going 1st round just like his brother didn't.
I think the mistakes teams made for Lane will help Cole. I could see him being first round. Bob’s list had him at 41, so more unlikely than not, but definitely within that range where it could go either way. All it takes is one team too.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s been out injured for a few weeks now. Hoping he can make it back in time for U18 Worlds. He was having a great season, and the team needs him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Does anyone know if he’s going to make it back in time for U18 Worlds? Still has not returned and the team played their final USHL game tonight before starting to prepare for the tournament.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Maybe. It doesn't hurt. I haven't been blown away with Cole's play this year like I was with Lane though. I still think Lane was / is the better prospect. I think Cole's range is fairly wide.

Hopefully he's back for the U18s.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Ya, that's not how it works

They are both very unique defensemen (not much NHL player comparison) who play similarly and have similar concerns (size and playstyle). Hutson showed in 2 NHL games that those concerns won't be an issue.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Cole has had a great season. Doesn't have the stats you might've thought and he missed time with injuries, but I've loved his play. Been very good in my viewings of the 18's this year.

I heard an interview with him recently and he said he's modeling his game after Adam Fox. I'm starting to see a left-handed Fox. Habs fans have used that comparison a little for Lane, and there are some similarities, but I think Cole mimics Fox closer. Bigger, better defense than Lane. Not as good of a skater. Kind of like Fox. Very good at inviting pressure and deception. I'm not saying Fox is what he'll be, but I think Cole should be a first round pick and has a real chance at being top 4. Doesn't skate as well as Lane or have the same degree of puck game, but he's still good in those areas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad