News Article: Lawless gives Chevy huge vote of confidence; tells people to check their expectations

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Ha ha. I'm not your son, pal.

I've advocated for many things. It's a fluid situation after all, as your buddy Lawless has put it. And yes, I've advocated for a tank and I still do. But since Chevy has never chosen a position and has kept us on this flatlining course, our trajectory has is headed directly for another 11th overall draft pick. I'm not the one who traded the 2014 2nd rounder for Gooch in an effort to make the playoffs this year, after all...

If we're building towards the future through drafting and development, then Chevy appears to be the guy flip-flopping as the Gooch deal sticks out like a sore thumb. Maybe he should be the guy to step up his game and find some bottom-6 NHLers and actually try to make the playoffs if that was the plan.

That was an interesting non sequitur reply, one that addressed pretty much nothing that I said. As near as I'm able to decipher, you apparently are unwilling to admit that you are unable to pick a position and stick with it, and instead offer a qualifier by describing the situation as "fluid". Yet you follow by attempting to pigeonhole Chevy as flip-flopping when you previously just described the situation to be fluid. Well, which is it? Does the fluidity not apply to his circumstance as well as your own? Hopefully it isn't debate that you teach.

You then stated that "I'm not the one who traded the 2014 2nd rounder for Gooch in an effort to make the playoffs this year, after all." Was the intent to trade for Seto representative of an effort to, I'm guessing, improve the lineup perhaps? There you go waffling again.

Last edited:

arby18

Jun 12, 2010
You mean trading a future pick for a player now doesn't make sense for you?

That using a player essentially for free for a year is a wrong decision? That there is no ability or likelihood to trade a player ( Seto ) at the deadline for that "wasted" future 2nd round pick? Getting back the future pick you used to have a decent player for free for a year and also have the chance to see if you wanted and they player wanted , sign an extension? Terrible way to manage assets , just terrible. What an awful decision by Cheveldayoff.

Do you actually believe that Gooch's value has stayed the same or gone up? And that Chevy will be able to get a draft pick equal to or better than theirs at the deadline if they decided to move him? Playing him on a line with Thorburn isn't exactly showcasing him...

jetkarma*

Do you actually believe that Gooch's value has stayed the same or gone up? And that Chevy will be able to get a draft pick equal to or better than theirs at the deadline if they decided to move him? Playing him on a line with Thorburn isn't exactly showcasing him...

I do , I believe that there will a lot of teams wanting a player for the stretch run and playoffs that they can acquire for a second round pick .

Last year you had the cap to consider so that worked to Winnipeg's advantage probably. Again , a future pick , it was not a current one , where you got to use the player now ... OPM , other people's money , smart strategy that has always worked for building wealth , it works for building a team as well .

Obviously if you let Seto walk for nothing then the trade has to be looked at differently but that hasn't happened and imo it won't . Add injuries and that feeding frenzy mentality that can and does set in , Seto may recoup more than what was paid to acquire him .

I do this trade all day , every day , little risk , potentially a good reward and the key piece for me is you used a future asset for now and you can recoup that. All day , every day.

arby18

Jun 12, 2010
That was an interesting non sequitur reply, one that addressed pretty much nothing that I said. As near as I'm able to decipher, you apparently are unwilling to admit that you are unable to pick a position and stick with it, and instead offer a qualifier by describing the situation as "fluid". Yet you follow by attempting to pigeonhole Chevy as flip-flopping when you previously just described the situation to be fluid. Well, which is it? Does the fluidity only apply to his circumstance and not to your own? Hopefully it isn't debate that you teach.

You then stated that "I'm not the one who traded the 2014 2nd rounder for Gooch in an effort to make the playoffs this year, after all." Was the intent to trade for Seto representative of an effort to, I'm guessing, improve the lineup perhaps? There you go waffling again.

Bringing in Gooch and Frolik (the second who I absolutely think was a steal and have given Chevy plenty of credit for) did not manage to improve the team enough to overcome the horrendous depth at the bottom of the lineup. If anything, they have made this team too good to fail but not good enough to succeed and that's not good enough.

I'm just tired of being stuck in this "dead-zone" of finishing 9th-11th in the Conference. My stance has been to tank for high picks, but if the playoffs are the goal than make an actual push. This current nothingness that the Jets are doing is wasting the prime years of or current core and is making drafting top-tier talent extremely difficult. We got lucky with Trouba.

But please keep up with the condescending comments. They're a lot of fun.

jetkarma*

Bringing in Gooch and Frolik (the second who I absolutely think was a steal and have given Chevy plenty of credit for) did not manage to improve the team enough to overcome the horrendous depth at the bottom of the lineup. If anything, they have made this team too good to fail but not good enough to succeed and that's not good enough.

I'm just tired of being stuck in this "dead-zone" of finishing 9th-11th in the Conference. My stance has been to tank for high picks, but if the playoffs are the goal than make an actual push. This current nothingness that the Jets are doing is wasting the prime years of or current core and is making drafting top-tier talent extremely difficult. We got lucky with Trouba.

But please keep up with the condescending comments. They're a lot of fun.

Finishing 9th got Trouba , we could have finished 4th and been ecstatic to select him .

You can't tank , YOU CAN NOT TANK , period.

I described how I would and believe how Cheveldayoff is building this team , I see positives , some negatives to be sure , but with a long term view , I see far more positives.

Scheifele , Trouba , Morrissey are plus selections and can be plus plus ...after them there are many players than can be better than current players in their roles . Some may turn out to be much better , and we have that in quantity , not minutely.

I see the positives , even if it will take time.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Finishing 9th got Trouba , we could have finished 4th and been ecstatic to select him .

You can't tank , YOU CAN NOT TANK , period.

I described how I would and believe how Cheveldayoff is building this team , I see positives , some negatives to be sure , but with a long term view , I see far more positives.

Scheifele , Trouba , Morrissey are plus selections and can be plus plus ...after them there are many players than can be better than current players in their roles . Some may turn out to be much better , and we have that in quantity , not minutely.

I see the positives , even if it will take time.

Yup, good orgs don't need to tank.

I have liked Chevy's drafting and the orgs ability to read the development of their prospects. It seems they waited and handled Scheifele and Trouba just right.

This summer is very important for the org thought, they will have a lot of cap flexibility and Chevy will have a compliance buy out and an asset in Buff to use as well. I would like to see some decisiveness with regards to a couple of players on this roster (Buff and Pavs). If Pavs doesn't turn it around I hope the org cuts bait with him. Buff should be traded while his value is still high.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
You mean trading a future pick for a player now doesn't make sense for you?

That using a player essentially for free for a year is a wrong decision? That there is no ability or likelihood to trade a player ( Seto ) at the deadline for that "wasted" future 2nd round pick? Getting back the future pick you used to have a decent player for free for a year and also have the chance to see if you wanted and they player wanted , sign an extension? Terrible way to manage assets , just terrible. What an awful decision by Cheveldayoff.

Except for the fact that Seto wasn't good to begin with. Seto's a career underachiever and his stock got elevated playing on Thornton's line. Giving up a high pick and $3M + is not a move you make unless you think your roster can make playoffs. Big mistake by Cheveldayoff in my opinion. And Feaster isn't a GM in NHL anymore now so there's no GM that will give up a 2nd for Seto this year.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Except for the fact that Seto wasn't good to begin with. Seto's a career underachiever and his stock got elevated playing on Thornton's line. Giving up a high pick and $3M + is not a move you make unless you think your roster can make playoffs. Big mistake by Cheveldayoff in my opinion. And Feaster isn't a GM in NHL anymore now so there's no GM that will give up a 2nd for Seto this year.
Shero gave up two 2nds for a horrible Douglas Murray.

jetkarma*

Obviously I disagree , and we'll see if he is traded on what we get in return .

Again though , a key component of the trade Chevy made was that it was a future asset , and cost Winnipeg nothing for at least one year.

Sure there was a hope that the playoffs were a possibility , and we can disagree on the odds of that but there was a chance to be sure. As far as Seto's stock being elevated , I think we all agree a players production , effectiveness increases with playing with better players . There will be teams that will need/want a player that can score in their playoff run , I do expect the return will match , at least closely , to the expenditure if not exceed it.

Little risk for me , you win some and some you don't . Frolik has been a big win , and if you and I don't classify Seto as a win , I still think at worse it can be a wash , and again with no real expense being used.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
That's a great point. You have to try and draft and develop better than the other 29 teams, but you have to realize when your assets need to be turned over or adjusted as well. Chevy has shown that he and his staff are doing a pretty nice job of the first bit so far. This off season is when we will see if Chevy has the talent to pull off the latter with success. If Dustin Byfuglien is on the Jets roster next year, I have to admit, I will be disappointed in Cheveldayoff. He just does not fit and is a rapidly declining asset. Chevy needs to be fairly active this offseason if he is to continue to build this team and not let it decay.

Agree with you on this Jet, very good post.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I'm not entirely sure how Seto's career has been a disappointment. He's been a 20 goal 40 point complimentary 2nd line player and that really hasn't changed since getting here. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back if we could bring in more of a possession two-way left wing to play him with on a third scoring line.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
That's a great point. You have to try and draft and develop better than the other 29 teams, but you have to realize when your assets need to be turned over or adjusted as well. Chevy has shown that he and his staff are doing a pretty nice job of the first bit so far. This off season is when we will see if Chevy has the talent to pull off the latter with success. If Dustin Byfuglien is on the Jets roster next year, I have to admit, I will be disappointed in Cheveldayoff. He just does not fit and is a rapidly declining asset. Chevy needs to be fairly active this offseason if he is to continue to build this team and not let it decay.

Agree with you on this Jet, very good post.

Yea I am with you guys but I will throw a small wrench into this. I do believe it is time to address Buff (or Bogo) one way or the other but this is the summer they will need to extend Ladd (IMHO) and how do you balance these two actions. Andrew was obviously pretty high on the Little Wheeler signings last summer and I am sure as a group they talked and Andrew indicated to the boys if their deals got done he would extend. Now comes the tough part since Buff is close buddies with all of them and they all believe he is a very talented player. ;)

Hey its a business and Chevy has to do what he has to do but these moves don't happen in a vacuum.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Yea I am with you guys but I will throw a small wrench into this. I do believe it is time to address Buff (or Bogo) one way or the other but this is the summer they will need to extend Ladd (IMHO) and how do you balance these two actions. Andrew was obviously pretty high on the Little Wheeler signings last summer and I am sure as a group they talked and Andrew indicated to the boys if their deals got done he would extend. Now comes the tough part since Buff is close buddies with all of them and they all believe he is a very talented player. ;)

Hey its a business and Chevy has to do what he has to do but these moves don't happen in a vacuum.

They are close buddies and that is the biggest problem with the accountability in the room. I just can't see them trade Bogo as he is still young and will get better. Buff will go and that will improve our team. Imagine some sort of trade that includes Buff and Burmi rights for Simmonds and Couturier.

LLW
Kane Scheif Simmonds
??? Couts Frolik
(I was gonna put Thorburn there as a joke)

I like Buff but he needs to go as it will improve our team up front big time.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Obviously I disagree , and we'll see if he is traded on what we get in return .

Again though , a key component of the trade Chevy made was that it was a future asset , and cost Winnipeg nothing for at least one year.

Sure there was a hope that the playoffs were a possibility , and we can disagree on the odds of that but there was a chance to be sure. As far as Seto's stock being elevated , I think we all agree a players production , effectiveness increases with playing with better players . There will be teams that will need/want a player that can score in their playoff run , I do expect the return will match , at least closely , to the expenditure if not exceed it.

Little risk for me , you win some and some you don't . Frolik has been a big win , and if you and I don't classify Seto as a win , I still think at worse it can be a wash , and again with no real expense being used.

Over $3M in cap space and a 2nd rounder is not free. Far from it. That's another Petan who could potentially be given up.

Doug Murray did get two 2nd rounders. Believe me, Shark fans jaws dropped when that happened. Wanted him gone for a long time. Other execs still had a high opinion on him because he's built like a brick wall. Anyway...all this means is there's one less team who has a 2nd to give up.

jetkarma*

Over $3M in cap space and a 2nd rounder is not free. Far from it. That's another Petan who could potentially be given up.

Doug Murray did get two 2nd rounders. Believe me, Shark fans jaws dropped when that happened. Wanted him gone for a long time. Other execs still had a high opinion on him because he's built like a brick wall. Anyway...all this means is there's one less team who has a 2nd to give up.

That 2nd rounder wasn't spent was it? We didn't give up any asset to have him play this year. What we did give up imo we can recoup if we want . The salary is pretty much a non or low level issue , certainly that is seen.

OPM , same principle.

Last edited by a moderator:

jetkarma*

They are close buddies and that is the biggest problem with the accountability in the room. I just can't see them trade Bogo as he is still young and will get better. Buff will go and that will improve our team. Imagine some sort of trade that includes Buff and Burmi rights for Simmonds and Couturier.

LLW
Kane Scheif Simmonds
??? Couts Frolik
(I was gonna put Thorburn there as a joke)

I like Buff but he needs to go as it will improve our team up front big time.

They need to believe Bogosian will be on the ice , and then have that happen consistently.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
You probably should note that all of their recent 1st round picks went straight into the NHL, Bogosian, Kane, Burmi.

Dudley did more to improve the Thrashers in one year than Chevy has done in 3. Not only has Chevy done little, but he has managed to hamstring the cap by locking up long term a roster that has never even made the playoffs.

It has been pretty clear that Lawless has been hand fed leaks from Chevy for quite some time, so this defense of him is not a surprise. But Chevy is the problem in Winnipeg. Ask Edmonton how eternal youth movements work out. He had a decent base to work off when the team came to him, one that was perilously close to being a playoff team. Instead of playing to win he has been dumpster diving on the waiver wire and overpaying for 3rd rate FA talent. His lack of movement at the deadline last year should have been a fireable offense.

This is a guy whose sole accomplishments as a AHL GM was to win with the biggest bankroll in the league, he then had a sip of coffee in an org the previous GMs stocked heavily for him. It is fitting that he inherited the team whose prospects he ignored in Chicago AHL when he was bringing in AHL lifers to win with.

The sooner you dump Chevy, the sooner you will have a chance of being a playoff team.

For the second deal, Vinny wasn't coming off a 37 point season at the time.

Until Chevy adds three top end players to this team, what btn said will be true.

Don't discount Dudley he was hired as the assistant GM of the Canadians, his age probably has more to do with him not getting a GM position than his ability. Dudley would have been an upgrade over Chevy.

As for Dudley not getting another GM's job:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=693473

Ok boys

Rick is a 64 year old executive that is employable, respected, but far from distinguished so its not like TNSE passed on Sam Pollock. Rick had a good summer in 2010 acquiring talent from Chicago's fire sale that cannot be denied. A + on those two moves.

However it wasn't all roses with Rick his 2010 draft that spring currently has zero picks playing in the NHL. I believe they rushed Burmi into the NHL and although TNSE could have handled him better he left for more money in the KHL which is the risk you take when you draft guys from Russia. I assume Duds worked as an assistant GM on the 2009 draft (I might be wrong)? They have 1 guy from that draft in the NHL in Kane (Morin is getting a nibble with the Hawks). These results plus trading a 1st and 2x 2nd round picks on trades means I would give Dudley an F on the draft and develop side of things. (will upgrade if results change)

He hired his old teammate and buddy (career associate) Craig Ramsay to be head coach (like TNSE with Claude) who was in over his head IMHO? and although the team had a decent start they faltered. The team finished 25th in the NHL so I would give them an F that year on results. If he didn't get Buff and Ladd I am sure it would have been worse but hey maybe it was time to bottom out and do the rebuild no? (My guess is the Atlanta market was in no mood for another one of those)

The Wheels for Pevs trade seemed to work out for both teams and I will give Rick a B for that move (Atl Thrasher344 I assume that who you were talking about when you said 3 but Pevs was pretty good so I would say Rick added 3 but subtracted 1 call it net 2 ;))

Rick was trying to stop the house from burning down and did a good job short term......Chevy was hired under a different mandate to fill the pipeline while trying to make the playoffs. Kevin has been far from perfect and there is nothing sexy about retaining draft picks or adding a 2nd and a 3rd but it adds up. Truthfully Chevy and Rick had different bosses and different job descriptions. Rick was hired to be a hunter and did pretty well at it and Chevy was hired to be a farmer and appears to be doing a good job of that. Neither one did very well with their short term results.

BTN I think you are selling Chevy's resume a bit short. Winning the IHL/AHL championship 5 times (4 as the GM) no matter how you get there is a major accomplishment, ask TNSE :help:. My guess is that Chevy did exactly what his boss in Chicago paid him to do. Getting hired by the Hawks as an assistant GM was done on his on merits. Being runner up to Don Maloney in Phoenix (allegedly) for the GM job is not a minor accomplishment. Chevy was a young up and coming exec who had paid his dues the hard way and was going to be an NHL GM sooner or later. TNSE new him intimately and looked at him as a better fit for the long term since he was on the way up and 20 years younger than Rick.

Time will tell if TNSE got it right.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Yea I am with you guys but I will throw a small wrench into this. I do believe it is time to address Buff (or Bogo) one way or the other but this is the summer they will need to extend Ladd (IMHO)

Ladd has 2 years left after this one. He can't be extended until after next season. Ladd and Buff's contracts both expire in 2016.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
Ok boys

Rick is a 64 year old executive that is employable, respected, but far from distinguished so its not like TNSE passed on Sam Pollock. Rick had a good summer in 2010 acquiring talent from Chicago's fire sale that cannot be denied. A + on those two moves.

However it wasn't all roses with Rick his 2010 draft that spring currently has zero picks playing in the NHL. I believe they rushed Burmi into the NHL and although TNSE could have handled him better he left for more money in the KHL which is the risk you take when you draft guys from Russia. I assume Duds worked as an assistant GM on the 2009 draft (I might be wrong)? They have 1 guy from that draft in the NHL in Kane (Morin is getting a nibble with the Hawks). These results plus trading a 1st and 2x 2nd round picks on trades means I would give Dudley an F on the draft and develop side of things. (will upgrade if results change)

He hired his old teammate and buddy (career associate) Craig Ramsay to be head coach (like TNSE with Claude) who was in over his head IMHO? and although the team had a decent start they faltered. The team finished 25th in the NHL so I would give them an F that year on results. If he didn't get Buff and Ladd I am sure it would have been worse but hey maybe it was time to bottom out and do the rebuild no? (My guess is the Atlanta market was in no mood for another one of those)

The Wheels for Pevs trade seemed to work out for both teams and I will give Rick a B for that move (Atl Thrasher344 I assume that who you were talking about when you said 3 but Pevs was pretty good so I would say Rick added 3 but subtracted 1 call it net 2 ;))

Rick was trying to stop the house from burning down and did a good job short term......Chevy was hired under a different mandate to fill the pipeline while trying to make the playoffs. Kevin has been far from perfect and there is nothing sexy about retaining draft picks or adding a 2nd and a 3rd but it adds up. Truthfully Chevy and Rick had different bosses and different job descriptions. Rick was hired to be a hunter and did pretty well at it and Chevy was hired to be a farmer and appears to be doing a good job of that. Neither one did very well with their short term results.

BTN I think you are selling Chevy's resume a bit short. Winning the IHL/AHL championship 5 times (4 as the GM) no matter how you get there is a major accomplishment, ask TNSE :help:. My guess is that Chevy did exactly what his boss in Chicago paid him to do. Getting hired by the Hawks as an assistant GM was done on his on merits. Being runner up to Don Maloney in Phoenix (allegedly) for the GM job is not a minor accomplishment. Chevy was a young up and coming exec who had paid his dues the hard way and was going to be an NHL GM sooner or later. TNSE new him intimately and looked at him as a better fit for the long term since he was on the way up and 20 years younger than Rick.

Time will tell if TNSE got it right.

Outstanding post...agree that time will tell if Chevy hits the mark, but I don't think he will be a Dud...

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
The one thing about giving Dudley an F on drafting, we retained the same scouting staff. Maybe they've been given more resources, or maybe prior GMs pulled veto and steered the Thrashers in the wrong direction, I don't know.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The one thing about giving Dudley an F on drafting, we retained the same scouting staff. Maybe they've been given more resources, or maybe prior GMs pulled veto and steered the Thrashers in the wrong direction, I don't know.

Just going by the results in the drafting "and developing". We did retain the same scouting staff but the GM sets the organizational priorities and weighting criteria to direct the scouts into they type of prospects they want. The GM also chooses to retain picks or trade them, and also chooses the development path for the prospect.

I have heard TSN invested more heavily in the scouting department but I can't provide a link to verify.

Last edited:

jetkarma*

Just going by the results in the drafting "and developing". We did retain the same scouting staff but the GM sets the organizational priorities and weighting criteria to direct the scouts into they type of prospects they want. The GM also chooses to retain picks or trade them, and also chooses the development path for the prospect.

I have heard TSN invested more heavily in the scouting department but I can't provide a link to verify.

I know they added scouts in Quebec and Europe , plus during the lockout they were as diligent as any NHL team with their staff being utilized for scouting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad