Recalled/Assigned: [LAV --> MTL] Karl Alzner Recalled to Montreal (17/01/19)

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Why not? He’s playing hockey for a living and making $6.5 M for his troubles.

Playing 82 AHL games or whatever is probably alot harder on the body than you think. Add in training and diet etc... It takes a lot of effort to be a professional athlete. If you have 30 million you want to block pucks, get crunched on the boards, break you finger, play through sprained groin, risk a concussion?

And add in pride of being a former NHL, top .1% that ever make it, and not being good enough anymore. Some people still have that. Being away from your family, your kids, your wife for the AHL. You already got 30 Millions.

Redden only did it for 1.5 years.

Reactions: Victorius

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Playing 82 AHL games or whatever is probably alot harder on the body than you think. Add in training and diet etc... It takes a lot of effort to be a professional athlete. If you have 30 million you want to block pucks, get crunched on the boards, break you finger, play through sprained groin, risk a concussion?

And add in pride of being a former NHL, top .1% that ever make it, and not being good enough anymore. Some people still have that. Being away from your family, your kids, your wife for the AHL. You already got 30 Millions.

Redden only did it for 1.5 years.

So same rigours of NHL, same money but hurt feelings. Given he’s genuinely positive disposition, I don’t think he’d be as down trodden as Redden. Not to mention Redden had career earnings of $71M before he was bought out. Alzner is at $28M and no signs Habs plan on buying him out for at least a couple more years.

NHL Career Earnings: Top 25 richest NHL players of all-time

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
So same rigours of NHL, same money but hurt feelings. Given he’s genuinely positive disposition, I don’t think he’d be as down trodden as Redden. Not to mention Redden had career earnings of $71M before he was bought out. Alzner is at $28M and no signs Habs plan on buying him out for at least a couple more years.

NHL Career Earnings: Top 25 richest NHL players of all-time

Well if he stuck it out then so be it, but I would rather force his hand then take on another bad contract. I have no problems with Alzner playing for Laval rather then giving up an asset or taking a Lucic or whoever.

Hopefully he would have enough pride to pack it up and maybe try for another NHL job at league minimum or something. If not worse case he plays in the AHL. I just think if the GM stays strong eventually Alzner will blink before the GM does.

Reactions: BaseballCoach

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Won’t he just be left exposed for Seattle? They could grab him just for experience and getting up to the cap minimum

And at the time of the Expansion Draft, Alzner will only have two years left on his current deal. And his actual salary will be $3M one season and $3.5M in the final year of his deal. So in terms of actual money paid to the player, it's really cheap.

Now, If I'm the GM, I'm not trying to entice Seattle by adding a top prospect or a high draft pick in order to ensure Alzner is the one selected. The logic is simple in the Expansion Draft, you lose one player. You protect who you want to be 100% sure you want to keep and then you lose one player. No need to lose draft picks and/or prospects in the process.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Won’t he just be left exposed for Seattle? They could grab him just for experience and getting up to the cap minimum

Expansion teams are exempt from the cap floor for a few years. Seattle won't take Alzner unless there is a sweetner added.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad