Lauri Korpikoski

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I'd give him a year and a half to two years, though it really depends on how he finds his scoring touch in the AHL next year.

numbers...i'd be tempted to say an upside of 70 points, between 20-30 goals on his good side. he'll also provide a lot of energy and hard work, and some defense.

mind you that's what i'm figuring his upside as, we'll have to see how his offense pans out in the AHL. it's hard to tell what his offensive upside is based on his time in the finnish elite league

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Korpi has is a great defensive forward, I think his upside at 70 point is a reach, but he can be a very solid complete player. I agree with the year and half to 2 years in the AHL.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Its hard to give any point predictions on Korpi. What I do love about him is how he plays the game. He is good with the puck and have a decent shot, but he also have tremendous hustle and drive. I think allot of people would have called Zetterberg a good prospect but with limited scoring upside when he was the same age as Lauri.

The bottom line is that I think that Korpikoski is a perfect fit in the new NHL. Just like Maxim Afinegenov found his role in the NHL with the new rules Korpedo will fit in, he have more hustle and drive to his game then Maxim and aren't that far behind in the finesse department.

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
Sometimes he looks like Selänne or Gaborik when he bursts in to speed with the puck, he knows how to defend and i hope AHL/NHL teaches him how to score.

BLACKBURN

Feb 17, 2003
London
Visit site
I think 50 points a season in his prime. Thats not a knock on him, I just think he has not shown a great scoring touch thus far and to get 70 points in the NHL you have to be pretty damn good. I would say atleast 1 season in hartford and then hopefully a fixture on the rangers second line for seasons to come. I really like the kid, hopefully next season he can show some offence!

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
I have always been a Korpikoski fan and I think some people have underestimated his offensive potential. At the 2004 U18 WJC's he tied for the tournament scoring lead with 11 points. At that tournament he was tied with Voloshenko and teammates Tukonen and Nokelainen. As an FYI - Kessel and Malkin had 8 points in that tournament.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
well again, it's really hard to be sure of his offensive potential at this point...he didn't score a lot in the Finnish Elite League, but he was also rather young and used mostly as a checking player. And I'll be fair and say that I've heard he was given a shot on a more offense oriented line and didn't exactly grab the bull by the horns...but then I've heard some excuses for that and around and around we go.

He has generally done well against players his own age though, and did pretty well in his short stint in the AHL when he was used on a scoring line (for most of the playoffs he was on a checking line).

the main thing will just to see how he does in the AHL next year, and then we'll have a much better picture of his scoring potential

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
I read an article that says that he compared himself to Saku Koivu. Does his play resemble Koivus style at all?

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
I don't think he has Koivu's playmaking and vision, though he definitely has a better shot and similar drive/hustle.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Not even 20 till 7/28/06, and he's been playing with men for like two years now in the Finnish elite. Very good speed, decent size and he'll fill out more, better than average skill set, way above average attitude and hustle. In comparison to many of his peers, he's had a tougher testing ground the last couple years. That goal in the worlds last year was a gem. McGuire, as much as he irritates some times was on the money about the Rangers finally getting a good prospect in the 1st round.

I'm pretty stoked.

I'm thinking he could be an NHLer B4 he's 22. Easily 3rd line potential. Possibly 2nd....maybe more. Who knows:] He's a good 'un though.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Leachmeister2000 said:
I don't think he has Koivu's playmaking and vision, though he definitely has a better shot and similar drive/hustle.

I agree with the drive/hustle remark but I don't think his shot is really that great (Korpikoski's).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
My impression in the times I've seen him play was that he was an Antti Laaksonen clone. Lots of hustle, excellent wheels, decent puckhandling ability. But limited strength on the puck, mediocre vision and hockey sense, and not much finishing ability. Very safe bet to be a checking line mainstay down the road, but I don't see much top-6 upside there.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Jon Prescription said:
I agree with the drive/hustle remark but I don't think his shot is really that great (Korpikoski's).

Well it has more to do with Koivu's shot being crap than a compliment to Korpikoski.

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
MS said:
My impression in the times I've seen him play was that he was an Antti Laaksonen clone. Lots of hustle, excellent wheels, decent puckhandling ability. But limited strength on the puck, mediocre vision and hockey sense, and not much finishing ability. Very safe bet to be a checking line mainstay down the road, but I don't see much top-6 upside there.

The difference is that Koprikoski was drafted in the first round and Laaksonen was a late pick. I think defensive abilities are similar, but i'd give Korpikoski the edge in scoring.. easily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad