Speculation: Lauri Korpikoski

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I'm puzzled if Korpikoski is left out PTO's or doesn't get sign after The World Cup.

I haven't been that big fan of him, but these 'friendly' The World Cup games have suprised me how well he has played 200 feet game.
Korpikoski - Haula - Komarov does have chemistry.

I really don't see how decent 2-way (PK'er) can't get contract in NHL.

1. What you guys predict where does he sign ($+term)?

2. Wich teams should be aggressive to get him as a 4th liner? (biggest need)

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm puzzled if Korpikoski is left out PTO's or doesn't get sign after The World Cup.

I haven't been that big fan of him, but these 'friendly' The World Cup games have suprised me how well he has played 200 feet game.
Korpikoski - Haula - Komarov does have chemistry.

I really don't see how decent 2-way (PK'er) can't get contract in NHL.

1. What you guys predict where does he sign ($+term)?

2. Wich teams should be aggressive to get him as a 4th liner? (biggest need)

I also think he and Komarov look good together and it wouldn't shock me if we gave him a PTO

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Yah I wasn't a fan of him being let go by the Oilers as he was a very serviceable 4th liner and a solid PKer ..but his price tag was too high for a player like him.

He'll get a PTO somewhere..

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Yah I wasn't a fan of him being let go by the Oilers as he was a very serviceable 4th liner and a solid PKer ..but his price tag was too high for a player like him.

He'll get a PTO somewhere..

Unfortunately i have to disagree with you. He wasnt a serviceable 4th liner. His production was horrendous and he made all his linemates significantly worse while on the ice. His fancy stats are horrible, and he didnt seem to contribute in any positive way. Getting rid of him is like what the Russian coach said about Yak. Addition by subtraction.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Unfortunately i have to disagree with you. He wasnt a serviceable 4th liner. His production was horrendous and he made all his linemates significantly worse while on the ice. His fancy stats are horrible, and he didnt seem to contribute in any positive way. Getting rid of him is like what the Russian coach said about Yak. Addition by subtraction.

4th liners aren't there to produce

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I also think he and Komarov look good together and it wouldn't shock me if we gave him a PTO

And Haula.

There is far worse players getting PTO's so I agree if he can't get one after these performances on World Cup would be mindblowing.

What comes to Edmonton and fans speaking production and same time about 4th liners. :clap:

800k $ x 1year should get it done, but where? Who wants decent 2-way bottom 6 forward (mostly 4th liner) who can also play PK.

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
He is a mirage type player; he can be good, and the next game pathetic.

I honestly think his injuries have caught up to him and his play al depends on his body that day. That inconsistency is too much for me.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
He was a possession black hole in Edmonton last season.

I would not be surprised if he were offered a PTO, but at the same time I'm glad to see he is not back in Edmonton for this upcoming season.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I thought he would have been kept around Edmonton as a 4th line / 13th forward if anything to help Pulj transition as his grasp of the English language isn't exactly stellar yet.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If a broken-down Tuomo Rutuu and a guy like James Sheppard can get PTO's from the Canucks, it's hard to believe there isn't some team out there willing to take a flyer on Korpikoski.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com

He had 10 goals and 22 points. If he was playing on the fourth line, that's pretty good production.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Statistically he was one of the worst players in the NHL last season. He's just not that good a hockey player anymore.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
The Ducks, who are in cap hell, should have taken a chance on someone like Lauri Korpikoski as a cheap bottom six option. It would have been a better choice than Jared Boll or Mason Raymond. Hopefully those guys proves me wrong, though.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Players who can't earn a spot (and in reality, lose a spot that should have been gifted to him) on one of the worst teams in the league don't usually have other teams beating down their door. I don't think he is an NHL caliber player anymore, he just looked awful last season.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Iiro Pakarinen

Yep. With Pakarinen on the team we have no need for Korpse. Not even as a translator. :laugh:

This is definitely a case of you knowing more about the team then I do. I thought Lauri being 30 years old and being a bit more mature may have helped Pulj transition more then what looks to be a fringe NHLer at 25 years old. Not a knock on Pakarinen but that's what I see when I pull up his hockeyDB page (not going to pretend I know a lot about him).

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He had 10 goals and 22 points. If he was playing on the fourth line, that's pretty good production.

He wasn't just on the fourth line, he was on the third line a lot too thanks to our massive amount of injuries. Numbers wise, that's not a tremendously awful stat line for 3rd liners either if they bring other elements to the table. But whatever line he was on always was our worst line in all zones. Maybe he is the type of guy who can flirt with 20 goals and 45ish points on a scoring line, but he isn't good enough to be that high in the lineup, and last year he just wasn't the right type of player to be anything else.

If an NHL team is looking at Laurie Korpikoski, I think they are in trouble heading out of the gate.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
This is definitely a case of you knowing more about the team then I do. I thought Lauri being 30 years old and being a bit more mature may have helped Pulj transition more then what looks to be a fringe NHLer at 25 years old. Not a knock on Pakarinen but that's what I see when I pull up his hockeyDB page (not going to pretend I know a lot about him).

Pakarinen is a more sound defensive player than Korpse and a heart and soul kind of guy who always gives everything he has. Underrated shot too. Not a top six player by any means, and in all reality in the NHL is probably a 4th liner/healthy scratch, but at least he brings the effort, defensive play, physical play, and penalty killing ability to be useful to the team in certain situations. Korpikoski showed last year that he really isn't a fit on the Oilers, and I believe in the NHL in general at this point.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Decent skater, but he's lost a step over the years. Also while he's decent on the pk, he's nothing special defensively (not someone you want on a proper checking line).

Honestly I was bit surprised the Oil bought him out (he was no worse than Letestu or Lander last year, plus Pulju coming in), but he's not really someone that'll be missed.

This year's Bergenheim at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad