Player Discussion Laurent Dauphin - The New Lehkonen Edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
In addition to being worse than Lehk he's also older.

Unless we get a 1st or significant prospect for him we should be keeping Lehk. He's not too old or expensive and if we move him for some inconsequential piece we'll just be spending similar assets or more trying to replace him.
He was taken same draft, doubt age be a factor.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Dauphine is turning into a decent NHLer. For a guy not on our prospect radar at start of year. Poehling on other hand is so-so. He's stalled. He was once a highly touted prospect.

I would offer Boston Poehling for Debrusk? Both former first round picks. Dauphin can play 4th line center. MSL maybe able to turn DeBrusk into a 25-30 goal scorer. I remember DeBrusk from one of Boston's runs in playoffs, theres skill there.

Once Dvorak gets back that is. Like to see what MSL can do with him also. He should be better. Many been messed up by DD. Gallagher with Hoffman and Dvorak could be good 2nd line. Hoffman has a good shot and Gallagher is a grinder and former two time 33 goal scorer. Dvorak can pot 20 and good on faceoffs. That line should go. Or Gallagher sliding back to 3rd line with Lehkonen would be good also, spread scoring out. With Pitlick staying on 2nd line. Pezetta with Armia and Dauphin on the 4th line.

Dvorak has decent wheels and size, if MSL can turn him around we may get something for him this summer. His contract removed and Toffoli already gone give us 9 million to play with in UFA. Another first pick or Giroux? Bergeron or Johnny Hockey? A fellow can dream.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I’d hold your horses a bit there. Dauphin and Poehling were both drafted in a similar range in the draft really and Poehling is 3 years younger.

Dauphin is starting to figure it out and works hard but he still doesn’t produce relative to his ice time. Poehling has taken leaps forward this year. Do we not grant him the same time to develop as Larry? He’s getting there and in my opinion will pass Dauphin by the same age. Dauphin is a serviceable 4th liner.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Dauphine is turning into a decent NHLer. For a guy not on our prospect radar at start of year. Poehling on other hand is so-so. He's stalled. He was once a highly touted prospect.

I would offer Boston Poehling for Debrusk? Both former first round picks. Dauphin can play 4th line center. MSL maybe able to turn DeBrusk into a 25-30 goal scorer. I remember DeBrusk from one of Boston's runs in playoffs, theres skill there.

Once Dvorak gets back that is. Like to see what MSL can do with him also. He should be better. Many been messed up by DD. Gallagher with Hoffman and Dvorak could be good 2nd line. Hoffman has a good shot and Gallagher is a grinder and former two time 33 goal scorer. Dvorak can pot 20 and good on faceoffs. That line should go. Or Gallagher sliding back to 3rd line with Lehkonen would be good also, spread scoring out. With Pitlick staying on 2nd line. Pezetta with Armia and Dauphin on the 4th line.

Dvorak has decent wheels and size, if MSL can turn him around we may get something for him this summer. His contract removed and Toffoli already gone give us 9 million to play with in UFA. Another first pick or Giroux? Bergeron or Johnny Hockey? A fellow can dream.

I wouldn't call Dvorak's wheels decent. He was far too often behind the play, which hurts his defensive impact on the game. One of the main things that makes Danault so good defensively is his ability to wheel around the 200 feet of the ice.

But yeah, I'm really looking forward to seeing what MSL can do with him. I just wouldn't pencil him into the top 9 yet. Also, Evan's ability to have a long term career is I would say in serious jeopardy. He simply doesn't protect himself enough and has had so many concussions. I like him and wish he would find a way to protect himself. But I can't long term plans with him.

So that leaves Suzuki and then Poehling and Dauphin at C. We're very thin at C. But yes, I'd consider Poehling for Derusk because of what Debrusk once was. But I haven't watched enough of Debrusk recently. And I really don't know what Poehling will be. I don't think we've seen everything there will be to his game. I simply don't have a read on how good he'll be both offensively and defensively. But I'm looking forward to seeing. Hopefully he can gradually earn more ice time from MSL, and then we'll see what happens.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I wouldn't call Dvorak's wheels decent. He was far too often behind the play, which hurts his defensive impact on the game. One of the main things that makes Danault so good defensively is his ability to wheel around the 200 feet of the ice.

But yeah, I'm really looking forward to seeing what MSL can do with him. I just wouldn't pencil him into the top 9 yet. Also, Evan's ability to have a long term career is I would say in serious jeopardy. He simply doesn't protect himself enough and has had so many concussions. I like him and wish he would find a way to protect himself. But I can't long term plans with him.

So that leaves Suzuki and then Poehling and Dauphin at C. We're very thin at C. But yes, I'd consider Poehling for Derusk because of what Debrusk once was. But I haven't watched enough of Debrusk recently. And I really don't know what Poehling will be. I don't think we've seen everything there will be to his game. I simply don't have a read on how good he'll be both offensively and defensively. But I'm looking forward to seeing. Hopefully he can gradually earn more ice time from MSL, and then we'll see what happens.
A lot of centers be on UFA market. Dvorak trade get a first back, his and Toffoli money sign a UFA. Dauphine taking 4th center spot. Suzuki, UFA, Evans, Dauphine we be strong up the middle.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Read all sorts of assessments of this player on here; wanted to post I think like many others he’s totally been rocking it since MSL joined. Always on the puck, plays simple like Gally - good fit.; our 3-4th line play has been so much better recently. Edit -Eating Poehling’s icetime a bit but it’s working fine I would say it’s part of why they are winning.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
A lot of centers be on UFA market. Dvorak trade get a first back, his and Toffoli money sign a UFA. Dauphine taking 4th center spot. Suzuki, UFA, Evans, Dauphine we be strong up the middle.

That would great. I don't think we can gwt a 1st for Dvorak now.

Which centers are on the ufa market that you want?

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
There is no space for him. He's been decent but let's be real. He's a 3rd/4th liner at most. Probably starts next year as a 13th forward if Hughes deals like 10 forwards away and doesn't bring in any new

Caufield-Suzuki-Anderson
Drouin/Hoffman-Dvorak-Gallagher
Byron-Evans-Armia
Pezzetta-Poehling-Pitlick
(Ylonen)

Not even including Lehkonen who should be dealt this year

You may even have a Wright/Cooley/Slafkovsky/Savoie/Lambert in the fold who will take up another spot next year or the year after, not to mention Harvey-Pinard, Mysak, Farrell, Heineman who probably arent that far off

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
There is no space for him. He's been decent but let's be real. He's a 3rd/4th liner at most. Probably starts next year as a 13th forward if Hughes deals like 10 forwards away and doesn't bring in any new

Caufield-Suzuki-Anderson
Byron-Evans-Armia
(Ylonen)

You may even have a Wright/Cooley/Slafkovsky/Savoie/Lambert in the fold who will take up another spot next year or the year after, not to mention Harvey-Pinard, Mysak, Farrell, Heineman who probably arent that far off
Today I have him ahead of everyone south of that 2nd line. And Gally no longer lives there.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
I’d hold your horses a bit there. Dauphin and Poehling were both drafted in a similar range in the draft really and Poehling is 3 years younger.

Dauphin is starting to figure it out and works hard but he still doesn’t produce relative to his ice time. Poehling has taken leaps forward this year. Do we not grant him the same time to develop as Larry? He’s getting there and in my opinion will pass Dauphin by the same age. Dauphin is a serviceable 4th liner.

Sorry...I totally disagree.
Laurent Dauphin is simply a much better player than Poehling...better hockey instincts than Poehling...harder worker.

Reactions: Kimota and 1909

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012

Caufield-Suzuki-Anderson
Byron-Evans-Armia
(Ylonen)

Wake up...13th forward???
Fits in perfectly on our third line.
Poehling and Armia are the weak links...lack drive...I would trade them away before Laurent Dauphin...no hesitation!!!

Reactions: 1909

Jul 6, 2016
Hab's depth at center is very shallow. They have a #1. - Suzuki. And a #4 - Dauphin. And maybe a #3, Dvorak. Evans is damaged goods and Poehling is AHL caliber.

Reactions: Kimota

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON

at this rate MSL is our head scout, head developer, head coach and cheer leader (in that order). he should be getting $10M/yr

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Sorry...I totally disagree.
Laurent Dauphin is simply a much better player than Poehling...better hockey instincts than Poehling...harder worker.

at the moment yes.. but I would not take Dauphin over Poehling.

another poster mentioned trading Poehling to Bruins for DeBrusk - that IMO would be a fair trade.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
It's not me who compare him to Lehkonen. It's him who said yesterday that he want to be inspired by player like Lehkonen. So he is going to be a responsable player.

I didn't see it when you made this post, but I'm starting to. He's a really good forechecker, with some speed and offensive creativity.

As a comparable in terms of style if not impact I think Danault.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Good thing about this disaster of a season Dauphin, Pitlick and maybe Monty all look like NHLers. They would never had a chance to play on contending team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad