Latvia: Latvian prospects

vinituu

Jul 20, 2011
Going a bit off topic here but I noticed that many of the Latvian players share a striking resemblance to scandinavians ex. Blueger, Dzerins while others resemble eastern europeans slavs . My understanding was that people from these country as well as the other baltic nations have both Scandinavian ancestry as well as Slavic, is this correct? Forgive me I didn't know where else to ask and wanted an answer from a true Latvian. :)

Some cents from me about family names in Latvia - there are different influences for them. Latvians didn’t had family names, commonly they were called in name of farmstead they come – like John from Stiebri (just as example). Then come Germans, Poles, Russians and Swedes as well and they come with own rules. So we become many Family names which ended with: –sons (from Swedes), many –bergs (from Germans), mani –vics (from Poles), and –ovs (from Russians). That is not a full list of course 
Same there was also a economical or political benefit to change family names depend on rulers. Centuries ago there was a free land available for those, who changed believe to orthodox and changed the family names to Slavic.
That is only one explanation, why many people in Latvia have non-Latvian family names.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Some cents from me about family names in Latvia - there are different influences for them. Latvians didn’t had family names, commonly they were called in name of farmstead they come – like John from Stiebri (just as example). Then come Germans, Poles, Russians and Swedes as well and they come with own rules. So we become many Family names which ended with: –sons (from Swedes), many –bergs (from Germans), mani –vics (from Poles), and –ovs (from Russians). That is not a full list of course 
Same there was also a economical or political benefit to change family names depend on rulers. Centuries ago there was a free land available for those, who changed believe to orthodox and changed the family names to Slavic.
That is only one explanation, why many people in Latvia have non-Latvian family names.

The name endings from different ethnicities really helped clarify things, thanks alot ! But then for the most part would it be fair to say most carry Germanic ancestry rather than Scandinavian along with Slavic?
I can somewhat imagine where you are coming from, but you sure do picked poor (to put it mildly) examples for Scandinavian influence. Blueger, actually is a nickname, and DžeriņÅ¡ is as Latvian as it gets. Girgensons is a rare one, but it has that striking ending of an Scandinavian last name (but we have thousands of people named Jansons, Pētersons, etc. That said we probably don't even have 5% Scandinavian in average Latvian (unless you count some Finnish blood Scandinavian as well), Sweden simply was relevant in what know is day modern Latvia/Estonia a couple of centuries back when rulers of the land thought it would be nice to invent official last names here as well. Lots of Germanic, not Scandinavian last names in general here.

Our ties with Slavic world are much more tighter and we can surely speak about some serious ancestry, yet we are still nothing like Slavs. When it comes to modern days we can still fairly easily spot who is a Latvian and who is a Slavic person although lately the borders are becoming blurry and you can never be sure where Latvian ends and Russian speaking person starts, see Oļegs Sorokins (more Latvian than probably I am :D ) and then there's Artūrs Kulda, who doesn't give interviews in Latvian at all.

This last paragraph is a touchy one even 20 years after we regained our independence, but you can be sure that we'll cheer Ņikita Jevpalovs' goals just as loud as Roberts Lipsbergs' (hey again Scandinavian?) ones as long as they both sport that sexy Latvian maroon.

Lol sorry I was speaking of appearance rather than surnames. :laugh: As you said sometimes it is easy to point out certain characteristics. It is very easy to tell who is slavic but myself since as vinituu mentioned there were so many historical ties to different nations I cannot tell who is a Latvian myself. Lithuanians for some reason I have a much easier time picking them out and Estonians I believe have many Russian and Finnish ties, after all about a quarter of the Estonian population is ethnically russian, same with Latvia, but not so in Lithuania. Is there great genetic disparity between the Baltic nations?

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
My Latvian Top Prospects list right now (it`s not the ranking based on the players potential,but based on how good they are doing in their respective leagues)

1.Roberts Lipsbergs- no competitors for him so far,ripping up the WHL 36gp17g15a=32p

2.Rihards Bukarts - in the begining of the season he had a slow start but it looks he has bounced back 46gp 15g 14a=29p

3,Nikita Jevpalovs-is doing okay-ish in CHL,was excpecting more from him 38gp 9g 10a = 19p

4.Zemgus Girgensons- His stats may not be all that impressive but you have to take in mind thats it`s his first season as a professional 31 gp 3g 6a =9p

5.Teodors Blugers- Blugers is still adjusting to NCAA,was decent wjcs 22 gp 3g 10a=13p

6.Edgars Klavins-Started with an impressive debut in SEL,but has been invisible for quite some time 28gp 1g 4a=5p

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
My Latvian Top Prospects list right now (it`s not the ranking based on the players potential,but based on how good they are doing in their respective leagues)

1.Roberts Lipsbergs- no competitors for him so far,ripping up the WHL 36gp17g15a=32p

2.Rihards Bukarts - in the begining of the season he had a slow start but it looks he has bounced back 46gp 15g 14a=29p

3,Nikita Jevpalovs-is doing okay-ish in CHL,was excpecting more from him 38gp 9g 10a = 19p

4.Zemgus Girgensons- His stats may not be all that impressive but you have to take in mind thats it`s his first season as a professional 31 gp 3g 6a =9p

5.Teodors Blugers- Blugers is still adjusting to NCAA,was decent wjcs 22 gp 3g 10a=13p

6.Edgars Klavins-Started with an impressive debut in SEL,but has been invisible for quite some time 28gp 1g 4a=5p

I wouldn't be that hard on Blugers, 22g and 13 pts in NCAA is not that bad stats for a rookie, it's a serious league, more serious than any of CHL leagues. Maybe bit more goals should be expected but Minnesota has the average age around 22 and he's like the youngest guy on the roster there....

Also Haralds Egle is 33 games 20+23=43 pts in EJHL at the age of 16, hope next year he moves to USHL or CHL leagues and then we'll see if there's another great prospect coming. He's now 11th in the league at scoring and the guys in front of him are 2 years older so I believe he won't stay in that league another year. Seeing with what ease he went from Empire (where he played last year) to EJHL this year, if can step another level higher and continue to tear it up...

Last edited:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
I wouldn't be that hard on Blugers, 22g and 13 pts in NCAA is not that bad stats for a rookie, it's a serious league, more serious than any of CHL leagues. Maybe bit more goals should be expected but Minnesota has the average age around 22 and he's like the youngest guy on the roster there....

Also Haralds Egle is 33 games 20+23=43 pts in EJHL at the age of 16, hope next year he moves to USHL or CHL leagues and then we'll see if there's another great prospect coming. He's now 11th in the league at scoring and the guys in front of him are 2 years older so I believe he won't stay in that league another year. Seeing with what ease he went from Empire (where he played last year) to EJHL this year, if can step another level higher and continue to tear it up...

Yeah Haralds Egle could become a pretty good prospect for us :handclap:
also if we looks even further in the future theres this kid Edgars Treijs beeing 14 hes absolutley tearing up swedish u16 with 6PPG

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
also if we looks even further in the future theres this kid Edgars Treijs beeing 14 hes absolutley tearing up swedish u16 with 6PPG

Yeah he is leading the U16 elite in sweden (23G 13A in 15 matches) together with 2 swedish players Magnusson & Dahlström. These three are in a class of their own.

The U16 elite statistics:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/league.php?leagueid=U16 Elit&season=2012

Probably best danish U16 prospect right now is 9'th in U16 elite (Rasmus T. Andersson), but here you have one kid way ahead of us at this point.

Last edited:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Yeah he is leading the U16 elite in sweden (23G 13A in 15 matches) together with 2 swedish players Magnusson & Dahlström. These three are in a class of their own.

The U16 elite statistics:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/league.php?leagueid=U16 Elit&season=2012

Probably best danish U16 prospect right now is 9'th in U16 elite (Rasmus T. Andersson), but here you have one kid way ahead of us at this point.

Yeah we got our own little prospect "rivalry" going on good example: WHL rookie scorers Bjorkstand and Lipsbergs and ofcourse Treijs vs Andersson. :laugh:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Yeah we got our own little prospect "rivalry" going on good example: WHL rookie scorers Bjorkstand and Lipsbergs and ofcourse Treijs vs Andersson. :laugh:

Lets call it rivalry all ages and not only prospects :laugh:
Rihards Bukarts and Nikolaj Ehlers would be fun to see as well!

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Lets call it rivalry all ages and not only prospects :laugh:
Rihards Bukarts and Nikolaj Ehlers would be fun to see as well!

Well these are Bukarts stats for his team HK riga who plays in russian junior(MHL)
48gp 16g 14a 30p
So whats with ehler on swiss u 20?

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Really the only place that denmark kicks our ass is at NHL level we have only 1 player there (btw today Daugavins will play his first game for ottawa) anywhere else were pretty much equals.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
So looks Ehlers is ahead of Bukarts altough MHL is pretty tough league to play in as its basically a u22 league and KHL is alot harder to get into than NLA but still at this point for me atleast Bukarts<Ehlers

I think Ehlers could be the biggest danish talent ever (or at least on level with Mikkel Bødker). They only problem is if he gains enough bulk (danish guys often develop fairly late, so its impossible to say at this point). Otherwise his speed would make him excellent KHL material (little bit of Zuccarello maybe?).
Anyway what a great first goal it was.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Really the only place that denmark kicks our ass is at NHL level we have only 1 player there (btw today Daugavins will play his first game for ottawa) anywhere else were pretty much equals.

Will he play fourth line with Peter Regin perhaps??? Awesome fourth line Ottawa has then :D

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
I think Ehlers could be the biggest danish talent ever (or at least on level with Mikkel Bødker). They only problem is if he gains enough bulk (danish guys often develop fairly late, so its impossible to say at this point). Otherwise his speed would make him excellent KHL material (little bit of Zuccarello maybe?).
Anyway what a great first goal it was.

i dunno if Ehlers would be able to play in KHL right now,its the 2nd strongest league in the world and thats not easy to just jump into. Anyways both guys are NHL 1st round material,lets see how these guys develop in the future.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Will he play fourth line with Peter Regin perhaps??? Awesome fourth line Ottawa has then :D

I think Regin will be bumped to third line (?) and again the Latvian-Danish connection in ottawa. They only other serious competition we dont have is in KHL,would love to see one or two danes of our Dinamo riga roster.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
i dunno if Ehlers would be able to play in KHL right now,its the 2nd strongest league in the world and thats not easy to just jump into. Anyways both guys are NHL 1st round material,lets see how these guys develop in the future.

Nah he wont right now...I meant if he stays small then instead of NHL he could go for KHL. His plan is to play in Sweden next year to learn some proper defence im sure. His dad was the first danish hockey star in sweden and first danish drafted ever (Heinz Ehlers).

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I think Regin will be bumped to third line (?) and again the Latvian-Danish connection in ottawa. They only other serious competition we dont have is in KHL,would love to see one or two danes of our Dinamo riga roster.

Since Lars Eller is being placed in the doghouse as they say in Montreal, then if he cant find other NHL clubs he is only an offer away......:D

If you need a good defensive forward that can play both center and wing and has a good penalty shot then try Morten Madsen from Modo that never got a chance with Minnesota but could be a solid 3'rd liner in NHL in my opinion. The coach loves him in SEL because he never complains and always works for the team even if he is placed in 4'th line to help. (Still has 11 goals in SEL playing only 3rd-4th lines).

Cant have these norwegians stealing all the show in NHL with Patrick Thoresen, Zuccarello and Lars Haugen....:laugh:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Nah he wont right now...I meant if he stays small then instead of NHL he could go for KHL. His plan is to play in Sweden next year to learn some proper defence im sure. His dad was the first danish hockey star in sweden and first danish drafted ever (Heinz Ehlers).

It could be bad and good thing at the same time if he doesnt pan out as excpected- the bad is that ofcourse he doesnt become NHL material,but the good is that he can become a khl sniper and be always available for Danish NT as KHL always respects WC`s ,sadly,unlike NHL

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Since Lars Eller is being placed in the doghouse as they say in Montreal, then if he cant find other NHL clubs he is only an offer away......:D

If you need a good defensive forward that can play both center and wing and has a good penalty shot then try Morten Madsen from Modo that never got a chance with Minnesota but could be a solid 3'rd liner in NHL in my opinion. The coach loves him in SEL because he never complains and always works for the team even if he is placed in 4'th line to help. (Still has 11 goals in SEL playing only 3rd-4th lines).

Cant have these norwegians stealing all the show in NHL with Patrick Thoresen, Zuccarello and Lars Haugen....:laugh:

Hes been pretty bad for Minsk TBH.Madsen would be great as currently our best center is Sczechura. Maybe a Indrasis-Madsen-Karsums line,huh?:laugh:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Hes been pretty bad for Minsk TBH.Madsen would be great as currently our best center is Sczechura. Maybe a Indrasis-Madsen-Karsums line,huh?:laugh:

Haugen bad for Minsk?? He has the third highest save% in KHL with 94,2% playing for a middle KHL team........
Madsen is the kind of player you can put anywhere on the team.......he will be hugely important for our olympic qual 7th of february.
Funny his QMJHL stats in 2006-07 was spectacular (100 points!).....then Minnesota totally ****ed his chances up; but he adapted into a true team player.

When we have all our NHL centers on the team he would probably play LW, but he might play a Hardt-Madsen-Nicklas Jensen line (at least I would do that). Indrasis-Madsen-Karsums line could also be nice...but offcourse for offence a Lars Eller might be even better. Then you could have Madsen to plug any hole that comes on the team with injury.

Last edited:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Haugen bad for Minsk?? He has the third highest save% in KHL with 94,2% playing for a middle KHL team........
Madsen is the kind of player you can put anywhere on the team.......he will be hugely important for our olympic qual 7th of february.
Funny his QMJHL stats in 2006-07 was spectacular (100 points!).....then Minnesota totally ****ed his chances up; but he adapted into a true team player.

I mean lately hes been having some softies in his net.
Yeah,well,anway hope Madsen can contribute to your olympic qual!:handclap:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Speaking of another 98` born that could be pretty good- Roberts Blugers hes brother of the drafted Teodors Blugers,he plays for shattuck st marys bantam, and as i understand has been pretty good.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Any of the young prospect (Klavins for instance) maybe getting for a place in the Latvian olymp qual?? Maybe some surprises like Indrasis last WC??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad