GDT: Latvia vs Sweden @ 12:30pm PT/ 3:30 ET/ 9:30pm CEST

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Is the Latvian program turning the corner? This can't be just because the tournament is missing players and being played in the summer, because they're missing players too. Of course, they had the benefit of bringing the majority of the team that got them in position to take the spot. You can be smart and well-coached to the end of time, you make strides when you have skill, and they seem to have way more skill than any previous Latvian team I've seen

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
We needed that one lucky bounce at the end there.

Oh, well.

Anyhow, a great tournament for us and what makes it even better is that most of our leading players will still be available at the next edition in 4 months, so we will remain competitive.

It's nice to see that Latvian philosophy carrying over to the junior level. Brings a tear to my eye.

Tough, relentless and gritty, I guess that's just in our genes.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Congrats Sweden! It was nice knowing you, my nerves
We needed that one lucky bounce at the end there.

Oh, well.

Anyhow, a great tournament for us and what makes it even better is that most of our leading players will still be available at the next edition in 4 months, so we will remain competitive.

It's nice to see that Latvian philosophy carrying over to the junior level. Brings a tear to my eye.

Tough, relentless and gritty, I guess that's just in our genes.

Was cheering hard for you.

5AFCD2DE-1F21-47ED-A405-3950A9AA6CF5.gif

Future looking bright & congratulations on a historical effort by your Boys

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Is the Latvian program turning the corner? This can't be just because the tournament is missing players and being played in the summer, because they're missing players too. Of course, they had the benefit of bringing the majority of the team that got them in position to take the spot. You can be smart and well-coached to the end of time, you make strides when you have skill, and they seem to have way more skill than any previous Latvian team I've seen
Yes and no.

Most years we've had mostly decent players and a couple real good ones coupled with some bad ones that don't really belong at this level. And it's impossible to play close games against the top teams when you have 4th liners making 0 iq plays constantly or bottom pairings Ds looking like pylons out there.

So it's more about increased depth and having solid players in all the key positions and being able to ice 25 decent players.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Lekkerimäki let me down again, but im still not given up on him. He will be the steal of the draft, and a 40-50 goal scorer.
What is really going on with him? I have watched two games from Sweden in this tournament, and he seemed to be doing a pretty convincing imitation of an invisible man in both of them. Swedish posters here, would be interesting to hear you opinion, why he has had such a quiet tournament? I mean I liked him very much in the U18 tournament in the spring. Now he has looked like a shadow of what he was then.

I thought Garpenlöv was the worst coach for a Sweden team of all time, but Montén is given him a run for his money for sure
That does sound seriously bad, I have to admit. o_O

Reactions: gritdash60

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad