WC: Latvia Roster Talk 2023

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Now that I've calmed down a bit, a couple of thoughts.

Most Latvian fans were rightfully skeptical about our chances, because we are playing without several core players, including 2 of our leading center forwards. With our forward depth, this is a major loss.

To make the semis without them, well, let's just say that even I did not expect that.

Smirnovs is tiny and lacking upper body strength and he's terrible at face-offs. Dzerins is pretty much half-retired and playing in Denmark. Locmelis is very talented, but he's 19 and without pro experience. Batna is your textbook power forward without top 6 skill.

With Blueger and Girgensons playing, this would immediately become a much better team.

The one clear takeaway from our showing this year is that it makes a world of difference when you have several good puck moving defencemen, who don't cough up the puck and can make their way to the O zone on their own. This has been one of the keys to our success. Without Jaks and Balinskis, we wouldn't have made the QFs.

And I'm becomingna believer in Silovs as well.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Now that I've calmed down a bit, a couple of thoughts.

Most Latvian fans were rightfully skeptical about our chances, because we are playing without several core players, including 2 of our leading center forwards. With our forward depth, this is a major loss.

To make the semis without them, well, let's just say that even I did not expect that.

Smirnovs is tiny and lacking upper body strength and he's terrible at face-offs. Dzerins is pretty much half-retired and playing in Denmark. Locmelis is very talented, but he's 19 and without pro experience. Batna is your textbook power forward without top 6 skill.

With Blueger and Girgensons playing, this would immediately become a much better team.

The one clear takeaway from our showing this year is that it makes a world of difference when you have several good puck moving defencemen, who don't cough up the puck and can make their way to the O zone on their own. This has been one of the keys to our success. Without Jaks and Balinskis, we wouldn't have made the QFs.

And I'm becomingna believer in Silovs as well.
With all players there, Such as Bluegers and Grigo i think Latvia could take gold. Already came this far without them.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Interesting, finnish hockey legend Petteri Nummelin is Latvia's assistant coach. He was probably the best offensive defenseman in Europe 15 years ago. I wonder how much influence Nummelin has on this subject? If Latvia didn't have many offensive d-men in past NT tournaments, sounds like it changed for this tournament. Just when Nummelin was hired.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Interesting, finnish hockey legend Petteri Nummelin is Latvia's assistant coach. He was probably the best offensive defenseman in Europe 15 years ago. I wonder how much influence Nummelin has on this subject? If Latvia didn't have many offensive d-men in past NT tournaments, sounds like it changed for this tournament. Just when Nummelin was hired.
Yeah, it definitely was an issue 4 or 5 years ago, but it's more related to the emergence of better defencemen - the aforementioned Jaks, Balinskis, Rubins and others.

In fact, there are several talented D prospects with some NHL upside who have not yet played for the national team.

Historically, we've had a lot of solid wingers, but sorely lacked a single offensive-minded D after Ozolins retired. We are becoming a much more balanced team all-around even if we don't have a plethora of NHL players.

Reactions: SantosHalper

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I am so glad for this Latvian team, first making strides at world juniors, and rising to the challenge here. Hockey will be better when these smaller nations catch up on skill level and continue to succeed.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
Congrats on amazing tournament, I was hoping for good results here and was really sceptical after this games with 1 goal but what happened after people in Latvia will tell to their grandkids even 40 years from now.

What I love as well that news about this bronze are second/third biggest news in Lithuanian press as well. You guys are cute together.

Reactions: Lindgren

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Congratulations! Happy for you!

Have been huge fan of Latvia since Irbe and Ozolins. And when Porin Ässät started to bring Latvian players to Finland (Fanduls, Frolikovs....). And later becoming fan of your hockey history.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
1685307799175.png

Same goes about my liver...

Reactions: Vikz and wmupreds

Vikz

Dec 26, 2021
A lot of guys contributed significantly to this win:
Ri. Bukarts showed that his level is far above the Austrian championship he currently plays in;
Shilovs with the tournament MVP;
Abols a goal scoring machine;
Balcers a big comeback after an unsuccessful season;
Indrashis silencing all critics;
Lochmelis as the next big thing in Latvian hockey;
Jaks challenging Balinskis for the title of the best D;
Zile who might have died a dozen times during this tournament yet continued to come out and block shots with every part of his body;
Rubins who scored not one, but two most important goals in Latvian hockey history.

Yet, I am most happy for Daugavinsh. Last year, being 34 years old, after scoring 0 points in the olympics and losing his father, he decided to retire, thinking he is not good enough anymore. This year, he came back. Captained the team, scored the goal that secured the play off spot, assisted on the goal that gave us the medal. Seeing him receiving the medal with tears in his eyes, that was the most tearful moment for me. THANK YOU CAPTAIN.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
How is Abols not a NHL caliber player? He has it all. Size, strenght, grit, skills, skating. He is better now than when he tried NA the last time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad