Last Super 16 of 2014 - Agree or Disagree with rankings?

jdatb

Apr 29, 2014
The NHL power rankings are always wildly off. They're basically just made to increase traffic to the site.

Last edited:

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
The NHL power rankings are always wildly off. They're basically just made to increase traffic to the site.

I like rankings that are a different. There's already a ranking based on current points, it's refreshing to see something that tries to add a little depth into the rankings.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
boston over the rangers despite the rangers having one more point and 3 games in hand on boston while riding a 7 game winning streak is surprising.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
I've accepted that the Ducks will never hold a high position in Corey's lists. :laugh:

First in the league, sixth in his rankings. Every single week he cites the Duck's weak possession numbers...eventually they HAVE TO REGRESS RIGHT?

I'm honestly surprised they moved from seventh to sixth.

StillAnIslesFan

Feb 26, 2010
Not sure how the Islanders played 44 games thus far this season? Way to not proofread at all without a computer...

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Meh, I actually don't mind it. I'd have Vancouver on the list, Washington off it and move Anaheim a couple spots down, but its pretty good.

People should actually read the disclaimer. Its about Power more than rankings. That means more focus is put on process (possession, goaltending, consistency) than results (wins, points).

penguins2946*

Tampa beat a heavily injured Pens team, so that obviously means they're second and the Pens are 3rd because logic :sarcasm:

I actually wouldn't be surprised if this was their logic.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Tampa beat a heavily injured Pens team, so that obviously means they're second and the Pens are 3rd because logic :sarcasm:

I actually wouldn't be surprised if this was their logic.

You won't get any argument from Bolts fans.

It's probably basically ordered by CorsiClose% with record playing some minor factor.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
It's heavy in advanced stats, so it's more than fair that Montreal ends up in 11th. I think they can improve them going forward to drop in the 7th-10th bracket.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Meh, this stuff is dumb.

The leafs were 8-1-1 and they had the leafs at like 17 for power rankings. It's power rankings, it's not how they play over the season, yet they still have the leafs that low when they were on of the hottest teams at the time.

For this, it's mostly just reputation teams. If they have had success in the last 4 years, they get on the list, then add in some teams with hot starts.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Meh, this stuff is dumb.

The leafs were 8-1-1 and they had the leafs at like 17 for power rankings. It's power rankings, it's not how they play over the season, yet they still have the leafs that low when they were on of the hottest teams at the time.

For this, it's mostly just reputation teams. If they have had success in the last 4 years, they get on the list, then add in some teams with hot starts.

So the entire list is dumb cause no leafs?

I don't know, I think there's more to these rankings than reputation.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
So the entire list is dumb cause no leafs?

I don't know, I think there's more to these rankings than reputation.

No.. that was a personal example. I goes to show that a lot of these lists are reputation lists or whatever.

Like Boston being on it despite not even being a playoff team.

Like Tampa being 2nd after a huge losing streak

I don't care, I know the leafs won't win the cup. It's just dumb to take these lists as truth.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
This isn't even a "power ranking". It's essentially just an advanced stats ranking. Really all Masisak formulates his opinion off of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad