Post-Game Talk: Last Pre-season Game. Canucks 3 @ Oilers 2 | (Post #430)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Admittedly, he's probably looked better than Biega/Tryamkin/(and definitely) Pedan in the preseason.

On meritocracy, I think these six defenseman have looked better and are more promising.

Edler
Tanev
Hutton
Gudbranson
Stecher
Larsen

Too many RD's, though.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
to be fair, it looked like Sbisa played much better in the third period. i didn't really notice him and that's a good thing.
this is his second preseason game so I think he'll get better as the season progresses to be a capable 6th or 7th dman

He's such a magnet for the incoming forecheck though. In the 1st even Kassian got a pretty good run at him.

---

The D as constructed isn't really capable of shielding Sbisa. He needs a PMD next to him and I wouldn't want either Stecher or Hutton to be burdened with that job.

Edler - Stecher
Hutton - Tanev
xxx - Gudb

I haven't seen an LD step up and take that 3rd pairing job yet which is disappointing considering the hype around the young LDs (Pedan, Tryamkin, Sbisa)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Every year the Canucks braintrust says the same thing about training camp...."we want competition for all spots, and the players who show us the most will be the ones on the opening night roster', but of course that's not true...if you went based strictly on merit, some big-ticket guys would be parked in the minors...but we all know that won't happen....Burrows, Dorsett and Sbisa will all be on the opening night roster and even though Stecher has dramatically outplayed Larsen, he'll likely end up in Utica. And imo the PTO guys have been better than most of the fourth-line bubble guys...but this won't help them either.....when a team has 'under-performing' contracts like the Canucks, there's no escaping them in a salary cap world.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i think splitting tanev and edler would force you to keep gudbranson and hutton together to be a shutdown pair. a gudbranson/sbisa pairing would just drag gudbranson down to sbisa's game.

for now i'd say you start with a conventional approach to see what happens

edler/tanev
hutton/gudbranson
sbisa/larsen/stecher/biega

but, if edler regresses at all i'd pair him with larsen/stecher in a heartbeat and tanev with sbisa. edler has looked superb this preseason playing with an offensive dman. otoh, tanev looks like a guy who spent all summer trying to become an offensive dman and norris guy and it is not working yet. if he keeps trying to be that guy and it does not click i see edler suffering. otoh i don't see any harm if tanev does that with sbisa and i think it's something he should be encouraged to keep trying.

one other advantage to splitting them is i think tryamkin can play with tanev.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Didnt see the game at all but wish i did. I read a lot of the posts here and seems like had two bad periods and picked it up in the third after the oilers couldnt finish us off. Sounds like Marky had a great game and Granlund had a good pre season game again. Good but he STILL hasnt even showed that in important games so will see

But it is important to finish the pre season on a winning note and putting that winning atmosphere into the young guys. For me it is very positive going into the season. I really hope all of are 14th place predictions will be majorly wrong. Cant wait :)

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Didnt see the game at all but wish i did. I read a lot of the posts here and seems like had two bad periods and picked it up in the third after the oilers couldnt finish us off. Sounds like Marky had a great game and Granlund had a good pre season game again. Good but he STILL hasnt even showed that in important games so will see

But it is important to finish the pre season on a winning note and putting that winning atmosphere into the young guys. For me it is very positive going into the season. I really hope all of are 14th place predictions will be majorly wrong. Cant wait :)

I love this.

Marky had a good game.

Granlund had a good preseason game...

Didn't they both have a good preseason game or is it different for Marky?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I love this.

Marky had a good game.

And this optimism was offset by guys like Virtanen and Larsen....that backchecking effort by Larsen on Poulliot reminded me of a gnat trying to bring down a horse....looked for all the world like the departed Yannick Weber....and did Virtanen actually play?...can't remember.:sarcasm:

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I love this.

Marky had a good game.

Haha both! Didnt mean to so easily confuse you

Marky has prooven hes a good goalie and looks to be in good form again. Granlund has not played well at this level but people here say he had a good game again yesterday. But is still pre season lets wait and see in the regular season if we are saying the same thing

Last edited by a moderator:

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Haha both! Didnt mean to so easily confuse you

Marky has prooven hes a good goalie and looks to be in good form again. Granlund has not played well at this level but people here say he had a good game again yesterday. But is still pre season lets wait and see in the regular season if we are saying the same thing

Granlund actually has played ok at this level, the problem was that he didn't put up enough last year after his first year. Due in part from changed line mates and I think the trade. I'm optimistic he could be a good one.

Last edited by a moderator:

cc

Feb 28, 2002
He's such a magnet for the incoming forecheck though. In the 1st even Kassian got a pretty good run at him.

---

The D as constructed isn't really capable of shielding Sbisa. He needs a PMD next to him and I wouldn't want either Stecher or Hutton to be burdened with that job.

Edler - Stecher
Hutton - Tanev
xxx - Gudb

I haven't seen an LD step up and take that 3rd pairing job yet which is disappointing considering the hype around the young LDs (Pedan, Tryamkin, Sbisa)

Yeah. that's supposed to be Larsen though however it's pretty clear that that's a work in progress.
On the first Oilers goal when Larsen tried to keep the puck in play and then ended up getting caught up, I was thinking about where Sbisa was... the supposed defensive side of that defensive tandem

Nov 1, 2011
He has good straight line speed, which is fairly useless for a dman. His agility is very poor, pivots in particular.

Yes, overall his skating is good however his footwork is bad and that's not good for a dman.

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Granlund actually has played ok at this level, the problem was that he didn't put up enough last year after his first year. Due in part from changed line mates and I think the trade. I'm optimistic he could be a good one.

I hope your right!

Now the long week before the season starts :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad