Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I can't wait to see it now and see how good a pulse he has on my tastes. I know he detests some movies I love, but he's had a few years now to get a feel for what I like.
There are bits of it I am pretty sure you will like. :naughty: As for the rest, I'm also pretty sure you know a bad movie when you see one.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Death Wish (2018)
1.75 out of 4stars

Boring, predictable, and rather tame. Big disappointment and Bruce Willis phones it in.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Game Night - 8/10

Much better than the trailers show. Just en enjoyable comedy that had the theater laughing. If you're a fan of Jason Bateman, you'll love it.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
getImage

The Woman Who Left
(2017) Directed by Lav Diaz 8D

After spending 30 years in prison for a murder that she didn't commit, Horacia yearns to take revenge on the man responsible for framing her. That sounds like a plausible if hardly original premise for a decent genre movie. So here's the question: why does this tale take 3 hours and 48 minutes to tell? Director Lav Daiz is a charter member of the "slow" cinema movement and the Philippines most respected director. His work deals most frequently with the social and political realities of his own country and The Woman Who Left is no exception. The film focuses on a whole host of neighbourhood characters besides Horacia. Diaz creates an entire milieu of the downtrodden. He focuses on an impoverished community far removed from Manila, almost always shooting at night on the town's empty streets. He uses stunning black and white cinematography (Diaz is also the film's cinematographer and editor) to create a surprisingly captivating mise en scene in which his genuinely likeable characters eke out an existence mostly devoid of hope but not devoid of life and humour. It is a thoroughly convincing universe that is realized. With Horacia I felt like I had spent three hours inside the head of someone whose life I could have not have even imagined before watching the movie. The Woman Who Left manages to be deeply sad without allowing that sadness to be an end in itself. It is a gorgeous piece of film making from a masterful and humane director. If you can adapt to its pace, The Woman Who Left will reward your patience.

subtitles

Best of 2017 (all "8"s for the year except in the case of Loveless and The Death of Louis IV, which are "9"s)

Loveless, Zyvgintsev, Russia
The Death of Louis XIV, Serra, Spain/France
Blade Runner 2049, Villeneuve, US
The Killing of a Sacred Deer, Lanthimos, Ireland/US
On Body and Soul, Enyedi, Hungary
The Third Murder, Kore-eda, Japan
Phantom Thread, Anderson, US
Faces Places, Varda, France
A Fantastic Woman, Leilo, Chile
Valley of Shadows, Gulbrandsen, Norway
The Woman Who Left, Diaz, Philippines

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Lettere%20da%20Berlino%20Brendan%20Gleeson%20Emma%20Thompson%20foto%20dal%20film%201_mid.jpg

Alone in Berlin
(2017) Directed by Vincent Perez 4B

A fact-based story set in Berlin during World War II, Otto (Brendan Gleeson) and Anna Quangel (Emma Thompson) quietly go to war against the German regime by leaving incendiary notes on stairways and in doorstops condemning the Nazi Government for its many abuses. The couple's actions come under scrutiny by the police, and it becomes a state priority to find them and punish them. Despite a fine performance by Gleeson, the movie is steeped in a kind of dour seriousness that quickly becomes a plod. I would describe the meager suspense that is found in the movie as "slow burn," but that suggests heat of some kind and Alone in Berlin is as cold as a North Sea mackerel. Save yourself the trouble and watch Flame and Citron (2009) instead, in which two Danish assassins in the Resistance during World War II begin to suspect that they are being deliberately fed the wrong people to assassinate. It's a far better movie.

Last edited:

member 51464

Lettere%20da%20Berlino%20Brendan%20Gleeson%20Emma%20Thompson%20foto%20dal%20film%201_mid.jpg

Alone in Berlin
(2017) Directed by Vincent Perez 4B

A fact-based story set in Berlin during World War II, Otto (Brendan Gleeson) and Anna Quangel (Emma Thompson) quietly go to war against the German regime by leaving incendiary notes on stairways and in doorstops condemning the Nazi Government for its many abuses. The couple's actions come under scrutiny by the police, and it becomes a state priority to find them and punish them. Despite a fine performance by Gleeson, the movie is steeped in a kind of dour seriousness that quickly becomes a plod. I would describe the meager suspense that is found in the movie as "slow burn," but that suggests heat of some kind and Alone in Berlin is as cold as a North Sea mackerel. Save yourself the trouble and watch Flame and Citron (2009) instead, in which two Dutch assassins in the Resistance during World War II begin to suspect that they are being deliberately fed the wrong people to assassinate. It's a far better movie.
Danish!

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
My first inclination was to say, "Yes, how thoughtful, cherry, please." And then the cruel realization dawned on me, Flame and Citron is indeed set in Denmark.....

21f09c3590670b09ae768414530f1533192e0b0b8e91f1c42fb95a5ed2f0f042.jpg

Let me at least apologize in Danish: "Min Fejl"

Reactions: member 51464

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
game-night-trailer2-face2.jpg

Game Night
(2018) Directed by John Francis Daley and Jonathan M. Goldstein 6A

Undoubtedly my least favourite genre is Hollywood studio-produced comedies, the last one of which I liked probably being Ground Hog Day a quarter of a century ago. But Game Night has such good word of mouth in these parts that I decided to pick the movie up and see for myself whether it was an improvement on the usual trash. Max (Jason Bateman) and Annie (Rachel McAdams) are hugely dedicated gamers who get together once a week for a fun night with two other couples devoted to playing various kinds of games. The usual shenanigans get supercharged when Max's more successful, better looking but seldom seen brother shows up and talks the others into letting him plan the festivities for a change. The next week at his place, he comes up with a game revolving around a make-believe kidnapping. However, when a real one actually occurs, Max, Annie and their friends think it is all part of the game night shtick. A fair amount of hilarity ensues as they try to figure out what is going on and, once they do, how best to rescue the victim. These kind of movies depend greatly on the quality of their script, and Game Night has a good one. All three couples deliver their share of laughs, and the writers allow the already zany premise to get zanier and zanier as the movie progresses. My favourite bit involves a sly use of Denzell Washington's persona. Game Night is by no means a great comedy, but in comparison to its recent Hollywood competition, it seems almost like a breath of fresh air.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
game-night-trailer2-face2.jpg

Game Night
(2018) Directed by John Francis Daley and Jonathan M. Goldstein 6A

Undoubtedly my least favourite genre is Hollywood studio-produced comedies, the last one of which I liked probably being Ground Hog Day a quarter of a century ago. But Game Night has such good word of mouth in these parts that I decided to pick the movie up and see for myself whether it was an improvement on the usual trash. Max (Jason Bateman) and Annie (Rachel McAdams) are hugely dedicated gamers who get together once a week for a fun night with two other couples devoted to playing various kinds of games. The usual shenanigans get supercharged when Max's more successful, better looking but seldom seen brother shows up and talks the others into letting him plan the festivities for a change. The next week at his place, he comes up with a game revolving around a make-believe kidnapping. However, when a real one actually occurs, Max, Annie and their friends think it is all part of the game night shtick. A fair amount of hilarity ensues as they try to figure out what is going on and, once they do, how best to rescue the victim. These kind of movies depend greatly on the quality of their script, and Game Night has a good one. All three couples deliver their share of laughs, and the writers allow the already zany premise to get zanier and zanier as the movie progresses. My favourite bit involves a sly use of Denzell Washington's persona. Game Night is by no means a great comedy, but in comparison to its recent Hollywood competition, it seems almost like a breath of fresh air.

Oh wow, kihei is rather generous tonight.
:laugh:

While I can see your point of view, I thought the whole thing is rather formulaic and predictable. There are a few laughs, but it is not all that funny. To be fair, it is not the worst way to kill time with, and I do not regret watching it, but I would not see it more than once.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Oh wow, kihei is rather generous tonight.
:laugh:

While I can see your point of view, I thought the whole thing is rather formulaic and predictable. There are a few laughs, but it is not all that funny. To be fair, it is not the worst way to kill time with, and I do not regret watching it, but I would not see it more than once.
I think humour is almost impossible to agree upon; it's just such a very idiosyncratic thing. I wouldn't see Game Night more than once. either But it made me laugh, and these things never do--so I thought it deserved credit for that at least.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
The Terminal (2004) - 7/10

I don't like Steven Spielberg. He's the most cheesy sentimental classic big Hollywood director. Everything he does imo is ruined by trying to give it that golden Hollywood touch. His films are just so damn vanilla especially after the 80s. BUT I will say that it mostly works in this charming little film. Yes it's built on all these dumb coincidences and characters doing things out of proportion and it being fully unrealistic but it's very very watchable and yes it's still cheesy sentimental but I'll accept that in this case.

It very much has the distinct feel of a late 90s to mid 2000s film as well, wish they produced more of it this decade.

member 51464

I don't like Steven Spielberg. He's the most cheesy sentimental classic big Hollywood director. Everything he does imo is ruined by trying to give it that golden Hollywood touch. His films are just so damn vanilla especially after the 80s. BUT I will say that it mostly works in this charming little film. Yes it's built on all these dumb coincidences and characters doing things out of proportion and it being fully unrealistic but it's very very watchable and yes it's still cheesy sentimental but I'll accept that in this case.

It very much has the distinct feel of a late 90s to mid 2000s film as well, wish they produced more of it this decade.
Sometimes art imitates life:
Mehran Karimi Nasseri - Wikipedia

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Black Panther is a good movie. It's just so PC. Too much political bs. A lot of racism by the Wakandans , a country that doesn't even exist.

I don't like racist/political virtue signaling in movies, which made it a bit hard to watch.

Plus, Tchala was depicted as a shitty fighter which made none of his fighting scenes exciting since he seemed to be getting his ass kicked.

Honest review 6.7/10 Its OK.

Visually beautiful movie though. If you hate politics in movies and racial undertones in movies then it'd be a bit cringey.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Score: A Film Music Documentary (2016) 7.0

MV5BNzQ4M2U0N2MtMmNlNy00YWJjLWIwYmUtMmNjYmViZTIxN2M4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzYzMjEyMjc@._V1_UY268_CR2,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

A documentary about the art of making music sountracks for films. I think most posters on this thread would like this one, would recommend a look. I enjoyed it.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Annihilation - 8.5/10 (this will likely go up over time and/or on subsequent viewings)

We need more movies like this. Visually spectacular, intellectually stimulating, full of interesting female characters, genuinely terrifying in parts, and with a near-perfect ending. I loved it and haven't stopped thinking about it.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Get Out- 8/10
mother!-4 /10

Both stylized psychological horror, had heard various things about both. I am for sure going to watch Get Out again, it's just not common to create something so topical, funny, scary while not being too serious about itself.

Mother is the opposite. Way too serious about itself though there's really nothing all that deep about it. Interpret it how you want and move on.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

Totally agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad