Last Concert You Saw and Rate It

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Aesop Rock - Hey Kirby Tour

My first real concert so I don't really have anything to compare it to but it was awesome. Sold out 500-person venue and I was front row. Seeing these songs live was a different experience because it turned them all into complete bangers when normally they aren't, haha. Aesop never missed a beat and the few tracks Rob Sonic performed were also great. The encore was awesome as well, Aesop came back out to perform a few tracks from his new EP with Homeboy Sandman, who opened.

Overall an awesome show and I even got my vinyl copy of The Impossible Kid signed!

Standout tracks: "Mystery Fish", "Rings", "Dorks", "Blood Sandwich", "Rabies", "Kirby", "TUFF", "Jonathan", "Homemade Mummy", "None Shall Pass", "Night Light/Daylight", "Oatmeal Cookies"

8/10

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
National Symphony of the Ukraine, conducted by Volodymyr Sirenko: Tchaikovsky's Symphony #6 "Pathetique", Roy Thomson Hall, Toronto 10/10

This is the fourth of five classical concerts that I've treated myself to this year, and, man, has this been money well spent.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Run The Jewels - 8/10

Great performance but horrible venue (PNE Forum, Vancouver) and the set felt kind of short. Concert was done before 11. Would see again, hopefully somewhere better.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
The World is a Beautiful Place and I Am No Longer Afraid to Die - 8/10

Very emotional performance. Unfortunately they went heavy and didn't get to do an encore but still a great experience.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
From the offical metal thread (just posted):

Amorphis and Swallow the Sun 400

I saw Amorphis last night and they didn't play much of their old stuff. Indeed, they are a different band than the one that released the Privilege of Evil EP. Not that I was expecting them not to be, but I just had to hope and see for myself. Still, I'm glad that I saw them. They played about four or five songs from the Tales From the Thousand Lakes-era and that alone made it worth me going out for this last night. That "water is war" song or whatever it's called was hands-down my favorite moment. This is more star-gazing sort of music, not interactive like a more punk-influenced metal band like, say, Nunslaughter. I like both types of music, broadly-speaking, but prefer the latter. Overall this show was good but not great. I don't think the mix between clean and dirty vocals works well. Swallow The Sun opened. They weren't bad, but I wouldn't say that they were that great either. Still, I'm glad I went to this show, overall.

200: distasteful and pathetic
300: mediocre or subpar
400: average, but decent
500: very good
600: superb
700: transcendental

Last edited:

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
U2 - The Joshua Tree 30th Anniversary
@The Rose Bowl

U2 is a band whose live shows everybody raves about so I figured we needed to see them once. I can sorta see it, but I guess I am not as much of a U2 fan as I thought. The old stuff at the beginning on the second stage was good, but they didn't use the huge screens so you couldnt see them. They just put some pretentious poetry without images up. When they moved to the main stage to play the whole JT album they didn't even show the band that much on the screen either, just mostly lots of slow motion Anton Corbijn films. It was like watching a bennetton commercial to U2 music. It was hokey, and while I enjoy a goid few if their singles, as a whole the music was repetitive.
Plus I am not a fan if the venue. Overall my wife and I were kinda bored. At least they are checked off the list.

7/10

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band - MetLife Stadium

10/10

I've never been to a better concert. 4 hours of non-stop music played at the highest level of quality. It's amazing the performance these guys can still put on at the age of 60+.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Sunflower Dead, The Browning, Mushroomhead headlining. 10/10 for me. Each band had great sound and showmanship. Played the right songs for the show.

Until that point I hadn't paid a lot of attention to Sunflower Dead but wow are they good. The Browning live is incredible. They whipped the entire building into a frenzy in seconds. Mushroomhead melted faces off of skulls and I'm so happy I saw this show and may go to Pittsburgh to see them again soon.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I saw a little grunge/punk band out of California this weekend. The Unit -- a 2-piece band, with a guy on drums and a girl on guitar and vocals.
They killed it.

10/10

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Metallica 10/10

Pretty reckless (not a fan but they were tight) 7/10
Bush 10/10
Live (first time seeing them they were great) 10/10
God Smack 9.5/10 They didn't do all my favs and one too many covers.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Saw Morbid Angel on Saturday night. I suppose I would give it a 300 out of a scale at bottom. The night was sort of ruined for me because I completely missed Suffocation! I didn't even know they were playing until I got there. Morbid Angel played a lot of their mid-era stuff. Real groove heavy, but the double-bass wasn't that overpowering like for some other bands. This might be a good thing for some. The solos were not that fast either. They played okay I guess.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Lady Antebellum @ Hollywood Bowl

9.5/10

They sounded fantastic and played all the hits and slowed it down a bit too. The crowd loved it and sang along a good portion of the set. I went with my young daughter who lived ut as well.

Kelsea Ballerini and Bret Young opened. The crowd really liked him.
It sounded like she lip synced though.

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
U2 - The Joshua Tree 30th Anniversary
@The Rose Bowl

U2 is a band whose live shows everybody raves about so I figured we needed to see them once. I can sorta see it, but I guess I am not as much of a U2 fan as I thought. The old stuff at the beginning on the second stage was good, but they didn't use the huge screens so you couldnt see them. They just put some pretentious poetry without images up. When they moved to the main stage to play the whole JT album they didn't even show the band that much on the screen either, just mostly lots of slow motion Anton Corbijn films. It was like watching a bennetton commercial to U2 music. It was hokey, and while I enjoy a goid few if their singles, as a whole the music was repetitive.
Plus I am not a fan if the venue. Overall my wife and I were kinda bored. At least they are checked off the list.

7/10

I used to be a huge U2 fan, I've seen them 5 times live. Their best shows are indoor arena shows, and all 5 times I've seen them have been in arenas, that's where the audience-band energy is at.

Every tour they go back and forth between big stadium shows and smaller intimate arenas. Wait until their next next tour is indoors and you'll probably have a better experience.

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
Last concert I saw was a Beatles cover band called "Let It Be" in a small concert stage in Folsom, CA. I would rate the show 8/10, it was awesome, the performers play the Beatles in different eras of the history starting with the Ed Sullivan theater, then Shea Stadium, Sgt Pepper and Let It Be eras.

It's a pretty awesome tribute, when they talk to the audience they really sound like they're The Beatles. After they play the Let It Be era they have an intermission and then come back for a what if Beatles reunion on John Lennon's 40th birthday before he was shot and play all their solo songs and other Beatles songs not played, it was really an awesome show and will someday be the only way to hear Beatles music live when Paul and Ringo pass away. Let it Be tours all over the world, highly recommend.

Speaking of Paul McCartney, he was the last show I saw live before Let it Be and he's a REAL Beatle and a legend and I saw him in Sacramento at the new Golden 1 Arena and that show was a 10/10. Hearing old songs like Love Me Do is incredible, but Paul really rocks hard on Live and Let Die. If you haven't seen him yet, I suggest you should make an effort because he won't be touring forever, he's in his mid-70's now and I can't imagine him in his 80's touring, but his songs still sounded really good and nothing beats a live Beatle playing the greats.

Last edited:

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Sheryl Crow @ LA Greek Theatre

8.5 / 10 good to very good

The Greek is such a great venue - nice and small and sounds fantastic. Her voice still sounds great and so does her band, especially guitarists Peter Stroud and Audley Freed. She has a good handful of hits, and leaves room in the live versions to let the band play and take some solos. It's just that the non-hits are sort of generic - mid tempo and relatively uninspired songs. If it was a short set - like for a festival or an opening slot - it would have been better overall. Lukas Nelson and the Promise of the Real opened. I loved them with Neil Young last year, but on their own they are not so great.

Last edited:

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Just saw Vader. I give them maybe 475. Got involved with the singer and crowd a bit like I often do for the better shows I go to. Great grooves and complex riffs at times. Jagged, and danceable. Sort of a Yoda-fied death metal. They did an encore of a song and a half or so. Lots of energy in the set as it bore like. Liked the drummer and guitarists. Vocals sounded a bit Yoda-like.

Last edited:

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
Guns N' Roses

Better than expected. I'm too young to have seen them in the 90's, so I was sceptical if they could still bring it like in the 90's. By no means a band of outdated old men. Axl doesn't posess the same stage presence anymore but his voice sounds a lot better than a few years ago. They sound good.

8/10

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
On Saturday, I'll be seeing:

Once Human -- she's all screamo, but she's fun the way she does it. Saw her just a month or so ago. They'll be opening for:

Wednesday 13 -- you might know him from his former band, Murderdolls

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad