Books: Last Book You Read and Rate It

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
51KUK1bMtRL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

City on Fire by Garth Risk Hallberg: 4.5/10
City on Fire stirred up a lot of attention before it was released in 2015. A debut novel, coming in at a whopping 950-some pages, described by the author as his attempt to write a book version of an HBO series, followed by a massive bidding war among publishers.
The story centers on a handful of characters in punk rock-infected 1970's NYC - a gay addict ex-punk singer and his lover, the punk singer's estranged businesswoman sister and her ex-husband, and a pair of teenagers being introduced to the burgeoning punk movement.
A murder at the heart of the story supposedly sets events in motion, but it doesn't really - the story advances at a glacial pace. What is really set into motion is more like an enormous character study. Yes we find out how all of these characters are interconnected, but that's more like an afterthought to the story of the characters themselves. If that makes any sense.
It took me a solid couple of months picking this up at intervals to slog through it. It started slow, picked up somewhat from page 200 to 600 or so, and ended slowly before a decent last 100 pages or so. Basically, like a lot of others have said, it could have used a way tighter edit. Hallberg is a good writer, but there are huge chunks that could have been taken out and nothing would have been lost. My other big criticism of the writing is that all of Hallberg's characters sound the same - white and upper/middle-class. Even if they're poor or black or uneducated. They all sound like what I imagine Hallberg himself sounds like.
At the end of the day, at 950 pages, this just isn't worth it. There's nothing more to say than that. It's good in spurts, but that's it, and that's not enough. Nothing much leaves a lasting impression, and there's too many other good books out there to spend so much time on this one for so little reward.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
51d46eJbW5L._SX319_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Great book about a war journalist in Bosnia during the war with the Serbs. Some great insights , but disturbing at times as Maass visits hospitals and refugee centres and talks in detail about some of the war crimes committed .

8.2/10

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I finished this today. Picked away at it the last couple of days. I really enjoyed it as well . Thanks for your review , which made me seek it out. Right up my alley . Not much to add to what you already said , review wise.

8.1/10

:cheers:

Yeah, plot just isn't a big thing for me in general so these aimless novels don't bother me. '' Nothing happens '' isn't necessarily a fault for me in a story.

A couple of short stories:

The Origin of the Funds by Tonito Benacquista (2016) (in french) : Extremely uneven. The story concerns a reclusive songwriter who's made millions upon millions writing hits for other performers. He decides to invest some money at a small bank outside of Paris (2 millions, which is a ridiculous sum for the mom and pop bank he walks into) and proceeds to recount the story of how he became a non-performing songwriter and why to the director of the bank, who finds him weird and is exasperated by the musician as he waits for his daughter to receive the results of her final high school exam. The only redeeming part of the short story is when the musician recounts in great detail his origins and how he came to grow so wealthy through songwriting (and it is excellent) but the story is filled with a literary technique that grated me to the utmost degree. I don't know that there is a word for it, but the author often writes the banker's exasperation as if he's answered to the musician within his thoughts (if that makes any sense). For example, the musician will be telling his story and it'll be interrupted by the banker thinking (in italics) '' Oh please make it stop, I can't take this anymore! '' which felt lame and cheap. The ending was awful, contrived and could be seen coming from a mile away as well (although you still think the author won't be dumb enough to go through with it). Made me grunt out loud on the subway. I hate feeling gypped.

In the Penal Colony by Franz Kafka (1919) - Kafka couldn't miss. It's ridiculous. I tried writing a quick plot summary of the story but there's no use. There's too much to say and explain and my review was filled with parentheses to the point where it became too bloated and would have defeated it's purpose. Like with the majority of Kafka's writing, the significance of the story is often hard to perceive. I tend to lean towards religious allegory. The story is beautifully written and the interaction between the four main characters - the traveler, the officer, the soldier and the condemned - are exquisite, funny, tragic and Kafka had a fantastic ear for dialogue and wrote with perfect precision. Every word seems useful and in it's rightful place. Which is why even if you don't understand everything, the story is still a delight to read. The interactions and descriptions offer an excellent pay-off. It sticks in your head and like a puzzle, you can't help but want to try and figure out what the hell he was talking about (although it's ultimately useless). I'd recommend it to anyone. I had a lot of fun reading others attempting to explain the story. I still have no idea how Kafka was unknown during his lifetime. It's not like he had absolutely nothing published while he was alive. Seminal works like The Metamorphosis and In the Penal Colony were published while he was still alive.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
51BjXkGJ0pL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Other Minds: The Octopus, the Sea, and the Deep Origins of Consciousness, by Peter Godfrey-Smith

This is my second octopus book in slightly over a year, which some might think of as excessive. The Soul of an Octopus by Sy Montgomery was the previous book that I read and it was more anecdotal with a tendency, understandable in the reading, toward greater anthropomorphism (assigning human characteristics to animals). As the octopusses (not "octopi") that I was introduced to seemed very individualistic and distinct, this didn't greatly bother me. In fact, it helped the author make some telling points. Other Minds is more detached in that sense. Octopusses are chosen to explore what we know about the development of consciousness and about how intelligent life on earth may have evolved not once, but twice, taking two very different paths (though choosing highly complex nervous systems in each case). So this one is a dryer read, but still a very good one. Between these two books, I have obtained a much greater respect, even fondness, for octopusses as well a general reinforcement of the notion that life often is far more mysterious than we can even imagine it to be.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
71fUr%2BlZZ6L.jpg

While this book doesn't fall into the cash grab category of books about ISIS, it's still just a general overview of facts taken from newspapers & then fleshed out. The most interesting part of the book was the interviews with former ISIS fighters.

So much has changed since this book has been written that it feels kind of outdated.

Some interesting points, but nothing you wouldn't get from reading an article . If you're really interested in reading about ISIS, this article from the Atlantic is great :

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/03/what-isis-really-wants/384980/

The best book on ISIS is still Joby Warrick's Black Flags which won the Pulitzer Prize last year.

5.3/10

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The Devil by Leo Tolstoy (1911) (re-read) - A nice little novella by Tolstoy (I've never read his longer works). Recounting the story of Eugene Irtenev, a young man who inherits a farm after his father's death and decides to work the land for a living. Having lived for quite sometime in St.Petersburg, he soon finds himself jonesing for sex and decides to start an affair with a charming and sexually-charged peasant he essentially becomes addicted too - although you're never sure if he's actually in love with her or if he's just obsessed with her body and there is a nice touch here regarding the title, considering how she seems to pop up everywhere or whenever he thinks of her - which eventually begins to torment him to a dangerous degree when he becomes married to what is essentially a woman who bases her life on making him happy (which he appreciates). A very quick read, it describes perfectly the feeling of lusting hard after someone (which is even worse when it's from a long gone past) and is written in an effective matter - matter-of-fact writing, no long passages of the writer getting in lost in his words or poetry, just a cold description of acts, thoughts and feelings - which kind of goes against the themes of passion and lust but surprisingly works perfectly. You never get the sense that the story should be written in an another way. Despite the story being very detailed, you never feel overwhelmed by the information (mostly because the only character's who developed in Eugene but again, not a bad thing considering it's a novella centered around one character only). I liked it a lot. I've never read Tolstoy's longer works - I just don't have the time to do the required work which would come with it - but I've always enjoyed his shorter prose. I'd recommend it to anyone. It's a fast and easy read.

Books I just ordered and hope arrive soon: The Castle by Franz Kafka (the only work of his I have yet to read), The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles (read a short story of his a couple months back and was intrigued; L'éducation de Malika), Ubik by Philip K. Dick, Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut. I'm excited.

Last edited:

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
I'm interested to see how you feel about Ubik. I read it a couple of years ago and was fairly underwhelmed though I know it's generally pretty highly regarded and I've enjoyed Dick's other work.

I'll try and pick up The Devil and see how I feel about it before trying any of Tolstoy's really long works.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Yeah, thanks for your review on The Devil. Going to check that out next .

Paul Bowles - The Sheltering Sky is a masterpiece!

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Hope y'all enjoy it! And yeah, totally excited about The Sheltering Sky (or any of the 4 really) and will be sharing my thoughts. I think this thread is great - although I'd love it if more people got involved - and although I do this for mostly selfish reason (I just like to jot down my thoughts about a work after I finish it, I'd probably do it even if I was the only poster active in the thread) I greatly enjoy reading the reviews and seeing what other readers are getting into.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
51RAs8zspaL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Details the life of a combat helicopter pilot in Vietnam. There was a real human element to the book, where he openly talks about blacking out from dizzying stress and PTSD.

There were some disturbing , torturous scenes in the book that are going to stay with me for a long time.

There's also some humour thrown in , between the grunts & the pilots, but what I most took away from the book was that war is hell.

Next to Dispatches, Chickenhawk is not only one of the best Vietnam books, but one of the best war books I've read.

9.0/10

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
41x4BIGWzGL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Great book.

Frances, the main character, disappeared after accidently dropping killing his infant baby, and turns into a bum.

In 1938, he returns home and roams the old streets , trying to make peace with ghosts both of past and present .

Some really great writing in this book, reads like poetry at times. It's both funny and sad. Can see why it won the Pulitzer back in the day .

8.6/10

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The Royal Game by Stefan Zweig (1941) (re-read) - One of my favorite stories of all-time. Zweig writes about an unofficial chess match which takes place on the boat between the world champion - Czentovic - and an odd Austrian who's a phenomenal player despite claiming he hasn't touched a chess piece in 25 years - Dr B - and the story largely revolves around why Dr B is such a good player. The story is written in an interesting way. Clocking in at around 90 paperback pages, the first 20-25 pages are dedicated to Czentovic. An hopelessly uncultured and boorish peasant who's only talent in life is chess and who plays it strictly for money and to spite others. It recounts how Czentovic came to be discovered as a chess genius and describes his attitude towards life before showing how Czentovic easily waves away the other players on the boat when they make an attempt at playing a chess game with him (paying large amounts of money to do so). The real fun starts when Dr B shows up and manages to tie the world champion before excusing himself. The narrator, blown away by Dr B, eventually tracks him down on the boat and listens as Dr B explains why he came to be so good at chess and why he shouldn't play anymore as the narrator tries to convince him to play another game against the world champion. It's one of my favorite passages I've ever read (and it has to do with torture, world war II and emptiness). The writing is thrilling - and the book works as a fine thriller with perfect tension - that has a beautiful flow to it throughout the whole story (but particularly when Dr B recounts his story, which takes up around 40% of the book) and the book is a page-turner and makes you reflect on the horror of life and the madness in which one can lead another and how crushing it can be. Despite the subject matter, there's still a certain humorousness to the the story and it's writing that's very amusing and contrasts well with the subject matters. Love it.

Last edited:

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Not Dead Yet: The Memoir by Phil Collins (2016) - The first part of the book show the rise of Genesis in amazing detail until his solo career came to life and that persona was the focus of the last part of the book putting Genesis detail during their peak to very little detail. The last part of the book is a jumbled mess mainly because he was a worst case alcoholic that almost died and just ends with this recovery vet abruptly. Great read for the first 2/3s of the book and then meh. If you're a fan of his or Genesis, it's a good read. Anyone else? Pass on it.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Although I've posted often about the merits of the short story and the short story collection as a literary form (including within this very thread as I now remember, and since I have Dear Life by Alice Munro out the library another such pondering will be along shortly) there is one in particular about two years ago which springs to mind. Mainly because as the follow-up to Limmy's first book Daft Wee Stories, That's Your Lot came out last week and offers a similarly morbid insight into the human mind if an altogether less amusing one.

While there are laugh out loud moments in That's Your Lot (the old problem of having to try and not look at the end of a story when you see print only on half of the page and know a punchline is coming) the fact that its original title was Mum's Had Her Head Kicked In suggests fans of the first book and Limmy himself may find this collection a bit harder to take to. Come to think of it the actual title is probably bleaker than the original, suggesting that the contained tales of paranoia, obsession, violence and impotent disgust at the world are in fact all there is to occupy people.

I think the problem for me with a lot of the stories in here is that they're too mundane. There's surreal stories which is the best aspect of his comedy, slightly unusual but only in a really bland or unimportant way. They're fine, and the unreality makes it seem observation rather than world-weary. But then you get stories about the guy who runs a company that makes apps and who wants the icon for their only successful one to be changed, just because, and he never specifies what he wants the new one to be other than "the same but different" and then the resultant icon makes peoples' bones fall out and their heads implode, because you just have to have stories in 2017 about the pointless changes tech companies make to things for whatever nonsense reasons they come up with. Actually come to think of it youtube's changed its font again, I noticed that earlier, bad example. But it's a fixation on issues like that, on a tale of a racist man who opens a corner chop and discovers why Islamic fundamentalists hate British people so much after interacting with them regularly where an amount of observational nous is required to make them sincere rather than frustrated and repetitive. Rather than say that this focus is insightful or genuinely thought provoking it sadly rarely is. Some stories are better than others and as I say it's the ones that are just unreal enough to be detached, but in too many cases this doesn't happen.

Daft Wee Stories is at the back and bottom of the altogether unsuited space I have for my books so I've no idea when I'll read it again. I'd like to read the two and compare. I will say that although it falls into every trap I've lamented so far that the final story Benidorm borders on Irvine Welsh levels of first person observational ability about the Scottish psyche and the sort of ***** that populate the country. The sort of reactionary, impulsive, destructive ***** who you simultaneously can't believe exist as you're reading them even though you've met hundreds of them in your life. That I can't fault and if there are more books I would really like to see more of this first person habitation of different characters. It's something that brought his sketch show so much success and it works just as well on the page.

Maybe I'm trying to find ways to tell myself I like this because I like him. Maybe I'm doing it because I don't want to believe that this is my lot, that this is all there is. There are various interviews with him about this and reviews of the book that offer some insight into what inspired him (this one in particular shows how he can switch from one extreme to the other in conversation) and when you read those too the book starts to make more sense. Maybe I'll read it again and see if approaching it knowing what's coming makes any difference. I suspect it won't.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway (1952) (re-read) - Another favorite of mine. While it is stereotypically Hemingway as far as the main character goes - stoic, noble, strong - it is the most well executed story of his (The Sun Also Rises is up there as well) and recounts a simple tale of an old Cuban who hasn't garnered a fish in close to 3 months. One morning, after time spending with his former protege - who's parents have forced him to wish with others due to the old man's lack of luck in fishing - the old man goes out to sea, still confident in his abilities and hoping it'll be a good day of fishing. Soon enough, the old man hooks a ridiculously large marlin and the rest of the story deals with the old man as he struggles to capture the marlin and after his capture, his fight against sharks to try and save the biggest catch of his life. The prose is pure elegance with Hemingway constructing a gorgeous ode (I often get teary-eyed throughout the story) to nature and particularly, the sea. I also felt it dealt well with the fear of being washed-up and the story serves as essentially - to me, at least - the greatest against all odds story I've ever read - even if the old man doesn't succeed completely - and appeals to my most basic and boyish instinct (nobleness, braveness, bla bla bla) which can be perceived as cheap but never feels like it to me because I find the story to be so well-executed and well-written that it feels completely natural and perfect to me. You can't help but feel and cheer on for the old man, as the old boxer who gets one last shot at the title to prove to himself he isn't flaming garbage. While it might seem cringy in this day and age, you can't help but be incredibly touched by the old man as he feels a bond for the marlin despite trying to catch and kill him. Ernest Hemingway was also phenomenal at endings (The Sun Also Rises being perfect as well) and The Old Man and the Sea packs a whopper of one, especially as his protege finds the old man asleep in his shack after his three or four days ordeal. Perfect in it's simplicity, class and elegance. The best thing he's ever written (or perhaps tied with The Sun Also Rises) to me. Vladimir Nabokov once called Ernest Hemingway a writer for boys - as well as Joseph Conrad, although he considered Hemingway the better of the two - and while it was meant as a snarky remark, I agree with how Nabokov felt. He kind of is a writer for boys. But so what? It feels natural and perfect to me, anyhow. I don't have an issue with it.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
In a previous life I once had to write what was at the time called a dissertation. Since the upper limit on word count was 4500 I feel the term barely qualifies anymore, but I still had to make it about two books rather than one. Since my teacher said that combining Animal Farm with Nineteen Eighty Four was a bad idea I went to the library, googled "books that are like Nineteen Eighty Four" and found Brave New World, which I duly took out and read. Without going into the unmitigated misery that book has imparted on my life I've often wondered what else I must have found from that search if I hadn't just picked the first response I could find. Well, I haven't wondered that at all, but I've always enjoyed dystopian fiction. Stuff about alternate realities that are recognisable yet still profoundly different. I don't even know why. I think I just like seeing how people - and I'm aware they're fictional - react to and exist in societies which are recognisable and relatable to our own yet differ in some fundamental fashion. While I made a reasonable dent in Orwell's whole canon last summer I never made it the whole way through and I think it must be about two years since I read Nineteen Eighty Four but something that book does which I've never seen in anything else, in any genre, is convey the fear which exists in an individual living in those conditions. For whatever dog whistling politicians and social commentators do nowadays with the term 'Orwellian' none of the things from that book they always reference relate to me as especially scary. Nor does the sense that the world of Oceania is in some way relatable to the world at large when the book was written or is any more relatable now. It's the fear. The fear that Winston experiences in doing things like sitting in a different place in his home. In having to live his entire life absolutely certain that an unlimited amount of people and resources are devoted to watching him to make sure he is leading his life properly, and that they will punish him instantly if he isn't. The amount of the thought police that turn up when he finally gets busted is a combination of inevitability and horror that's unimaginable. However trite and clichéd it might be for me to say that I've never read or had a reaction to a book like that, it's true. It's incomparable.

Many years ago in my googling my life could have turned out very differently if I had maybe searched a bit harder and come across a book called The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood which I've read this week. Here we have the story of a person living in a theocratic totalitarian regime established within a former bastion of freedom and triumphalism, with no personal freedom ready to have their life taken away and destroyed by the brutal and apparently omnipotent ruling order. Except, of course, there's one key difference. Well, several. It's set in America, the protagonist is a woman, and the ruling order is based on extreme religious orthodoxy. I won't bore you with comparisons between Big Brother and God, but the reverence in The Handmaid's Tale is saved for the actual God, not a man-made one. Wait, that's not right. Well, you know what I mean.

At this point I feel somewhat strange in giving a description of basic stuff like character names and backgrounds for something which I assume is somewhat ubiquitous to people who read books, especially here when I'm likely to be posting to a Canadian/North American audience. In any case, set in The Future, Offred, not her name but a literal description of the man who bore her, since in Gilead (which America is now called) women effectively have no rights and exist to be vessels for reproduction, which is dwindling rapidly due to fertility rates being affected by mass nuclear plant destructions and leakings. The ascent of the religious fundamental order which runs the place happened in much the same way 1984's Party came to power, or to again reference a thing I've read the ascent of Buzz Windrip in It Can't Happen Here. They seemingly come from nowhere and overthrow the government, subsequently telling everyone they're the only group to restore order. The book is continually personal and follows Offred as she lives under the behest of the Commander and the women who run her... well, what to call it? The harem, effectively, where the Handmaids like Offred live for the sole purpose of regular attempts at fertilisation by the Commander. Perhaps inevitably there's corruption, the people in charge aren't as devout and chaste as they'd like to appear, and there the magic happens.

There's several things in this book published in 1985 that I find interesting. The fact there seems to be a centralised computer network of some sort is interesting, all the money and stuff goes through that, which helps to limit the freedoms of women. Foresight like this helps the actual substance of the world seem more realistic, so points there. Elsewhere, it's a convincing world. Much like Winston Smith Offred remembers her pre-Gilead life, in fact in much more detail. Since the book is first person from her perspective the personal insight on both sides of the regime make the whole thing more eerily plausible. Although she and everyone else in her position has to adapt and tolerate what's going on to survive none of it seems out of the ordinary to her, that point is passed and the result almost makes her narration seem... mundane. She had a husband and a child and a best friend and a fiercely independent mother, they're all prominent in her mind but in her actions and thoughts in the present day she's so passive.

The sense of fear which I think underpins quality dystopian literature, of the absurd in Nineteen Eighty Four rather than the much more realistic and grim seen in Darkness at Noon for instance, is present too. There's the fear that her thoughts and any collusion with like-minded people will see them rounded up. There's the fear that the illicit relationship she strikes up with the Commander will see her cast out. Yet all of these things go on anyway. Ironically the times this fear for existence is strongest is whenever there are other women around. They seem the most zealous, the most devout, the most rigidly adherent to the way of life that's been imparted on them. The same goes for the other direction, as Offred's friend Moira (who is never given one of the Of- names, come to think of it) is consistently rebellious and sticks just as strongly to her own beliefs.

As is explained at the end of the book which I'll come to later the sense of personal insight we get from Offred is interesting in this type of story. I don't want to try and detail everything she says or does or thinks but the whole thing is very... real. She misses her husband and daughter and sees them everywhere, in the people she interacts with and the things she does with them. Yet the way it's always followed up with the helplessness of her situation makes it seem more hopeless. In my experience reading this type of story there's always a focus on the male perspective and I think the focus on familial relationships here sets it apart. Yet in the same way Offred doesn't think of anything that isn't normal. Her family, her life, the small details which defined love and normality and her desire to have them back, to experience them again. She even manages to find this in the ritual attempts at pregnancy, an act described with just the right amount of banal frankness.

The final twenty pages or so jump into metafiction as there's a talk at a Canadian university about the history of Gilead and this diary they found somewhere called 'The Handmaid's Tale,' and what these recorded tapes tell us of Gilean life. This attempt to explain an ending, an aftermath, no. I can't go for it at all. I can't even tell if it makes the ending clearer or not, I'm not really sure I got anything out of it besides a writer trying to add closure without adding closure. This epilogue is about the only criticism I would have of the book. Aside from lowering the sense of immersion you have from having a first-hand account of such an oppressive world it just feels like an exercise by the writer which doesn't achieve anything. I've only read a collection of Atwood's stories so I don't know if there's anything else in her work like this but there's no need for it here.

I've discovered that the recent TV series will be shown here soon (starting a week on Sunday, I think) and I look forward to it. The book is good, even allowing for that ending, and I think there's a lot of scope for a TV adaptation to be very successful. Given the means of power-grabbing in the book - the phrase "a return to traditional values" actually exists which I found much more terrifying than anything else I've described - I think a new adaptation with the world today could receive a willing and necessary audience.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut (1973) - A very good read but not without it's flaws. It's very humorous, witty and utterly charming but some of it's techniques bothered me philosophically. As I tend to believe an artist should separate himself from his work as much as possible and not draw attention to himself in the course of the work, Vonnegut's technique of placing himself directly into the story and explaining his reasoning for who, what, why started bothering me fast and he goes balls to the walls with this in the last 80 or so pages of the novel where he becomes a direct observer of the events happening around him (which he, of course, creates on the spot and makes sure to tell you so) besides the fact that some of his ideas and insight through this technique are very interesting. There's not much story-telling in there - although there is enough of it to keep the book moving - it's mostly filled with short parables that are very funny, at times insightful - but at times, feel only like an originally told platitude, which is fine, I guess - it's a fast read because a lot of pages are filled with sloppy and hilarious illustrations. Some of the descriptions and commonly used expressions throughout the book add a lot to it's well-executed deadpan humor. For example, one of the two main characters, Dwayne Hoover, who's mentally ill, often has his decisions described as being because of his '' bad chemicals '' which I found very funny. What I liked best is that it seemed quite obvious to me that Kurt Vonnegut has no care for the perception of others and writes and uses a certain narrative structure only for himself and his enjoyment. That's always beautiful to see. Very good satire and I've liked it enough that I'll certainly be seeking out more of Vonnegut's work in the near future.

Last edited:

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
113091.jpg

Beautiful written book about death and grief. Teared up a couple of times , which doesn't happen very often, so I'll note it here. Makes you appreciate life. Some great insights are found within these pages.

9.5/10

61v8c9UV5XL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

At times super funny, at times dark. It tells the story of a stand up comedian who is being observed by an old friend.
As the night goes on, the stand up routine turns into something deeper - how people confront the harshness of life and turn it into art.

7.3/10

28007895.jpg

Pulitzer Prize winner 2017

When Hisham Matar was a nineteen-year-old university student in England, his father went missing under mysterious circumstances. Hisham would never see him again, but he never gave up hope that his father might still be alive. Twenty-two years later, he returned to his native Libya in search of the truth behind his father’s disappearance. The Return is the story of what he found there.

8.4/10

The-Devil.jpg

A short novella about a guy who has an affair with a peasant woman, and is then tormented by his sexual desire as it takes over his life, as he fights against it. Short but interesting read. Worth the hour or so it'll take you. Thanks Amerika!

7.2/10

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
In one of my recent postings about something I went to find an old post and found a kihei review of Dear Life by Alice Munro. Since this is her last collection (her words) and was released a year before her Nobel Prize I thought hey, let's have a look. Near enough all the praise I've ever countered for Munro centres around several recurring abilities: a simple writing style, an eye for observation and the ability to focus on the seemingly inconsequential events of an existence and extrapolate previously unacknowledged yet unavoidable truths from them. So say the many testimonials which cover her work, including this one.

In Dear Life however, which brings together several previously published stories, I feel the point has become somewhat laboured. There are several stories in this collection which I've read this week and I can remember very little about them. There are events of heartbreaking trauma - a young girl sees her sister drown and recalls it - the story - through therapy, an old and increasingly forgetful woman goes into a home without realising it. The most oblique instance of such desolation is in 'Train' where a young soldier returning from World War 2 jumps from the train he's on onto a farm where he lives for several years before disappearing when the woman running it ends up hospitalised with cancer. In stories like this there's something to say for the sense of precarcity of life and how it can be altered instantly with the smallest thing. It's only really successful in these instances though. The opening story about a schoolteacher in some town in the tundra starting an affair with a doctor then jilting him just doesn't have the same impact. I can't even decide why, I don't know if it's the basic premise I find dull or the characters too assumed, too fleeting to attach any significance to. What is presented as something catastrophic to a person doesn't do anything for me.

Special note should be made for the final four stories which Munro prefaces with the claim that they are closer to autobiography than anything she's done before. Having only ever read The View from Castle Rock previously I found this somewhat at odds with what I knew of her since that collection is a near-complete family history starting from emigration from Scotland in the 1800s. Although some of the stories in that collection may be fictional, or fictionalised, there is significant personal background to Munro in the book as a whole. There's certainly enough corroboration in the final four stories of Dear Life to make me believe them.

Perhaps the difference in Munro's own mind is that the final four stories are real. There is no artistic license in what she's recalled and put to page. Certainly I don't think there's much to criticise of them in this regard. They're similar to what's in the rest of this collection and are presumably comparable to the rest of her work which has garnered so much praise. One thing which sets them apart is the first person perspective which I think is under utilised in the rest of the stories. There's a greater feeling of being able to relate to the narrator of the stories. To be in your eighties and able to recall your early childhood memories and feelings with the clarity Munro does is undoubtedly a testament to her writing ability and her eye for detail and expression. Despite all of this I can't really separate my feelings about the two parts of the book. Maybe it's because this is her last collection and it comes with such a loaded title I have an expectation that it will somehow encompass all of human feeling and experience but there's something about the book that I just feel detached from in a way I wasn't with Castle Rock.

I wouldn't say that this collection has put me off Munro but I do feel like there is more to many of the stories in it. I feel as if I should end with some off-hand remark about my observations of her observations - but all I can think is that to an outsider there may not be something captivating in every life, no matter how profound it can seem to an individual. I think that will have to do.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
412xHYF1QgL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I decided to read this after seeing the movie, hoping to make more sense of it.

It's a book of short stories, and while the story that the movie is based on, was decent, the rest of the stories fall flat. Bland characters & no life to the writing. After looking into it, the author is a technical writer and it's not hard to tell. Fans of "dark matter" would like the title story, as it reads at a fast pace, the rest of the book is a miss. Some cool ideas, but the author failed to make any of them work.

3.4/10

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
A dog's purpose is a great book for animal lovers and really anyone, I give it 4/4 stars, the best book I've ever read.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles (1949) - The talent pours through and yet I didn't find the story particularly compelling. For one, the sheer number of description of the Sahara landscape felt like overkill to me. It became a bore and a chore to read through after a while. On the other hand, the way Bowles writes about the character's inner emotional turmoil is elegant and delicate, which I liked a lot. The story is divided into three different stories and I felt the book as a whole really took off at the start of the third book and came to a great finish. The book also does well to describe and delve into North African culture and I commend Bowles for doing it in such a way that is not romanticized, idealized on one end or overtly crass on the other. It gave a nice sense of realism to the book. The setting was also well-done considering it's subject matter - existential issues - since Bowles creaters characters discovering and living through a land they barely know, it adds a nice touch to the atmosphere of the story. I'd recommend the novel despite the prose not being particularly up my alley. It was still a solid read and I can understand it's appeal and veneration by readers.

Last edited:

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
41qLU7pCwvL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This book collects the stories of many different people all affected , indirectly or directly with the Chernobyl disaster in Ukraine, in Soviet times.

Terribly depressing book. I was halfway through and wondering why I put myself through what comes with reading these things. But I think it's important to have and read these books in order to learn, and so future generations learn from past mistakes.

Heartbreaking stories of what families lost, what wives saw happening to their loved ones , in one example, the soviet government ordered people (mostly men) into the site without any protective gear , and days later started getting so sick their skin was falling off.

Book makes you shake your head at the incompetence of the government , and the sheer horror of the Chernobyl disaster .

8.6/10

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
51Y4ma6RbiL._SX348_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The hidden life of trees is rich of interesting tidbits of information , but is kind of dry for long periods of time, unless you really, really love trees.

As someone who enjoys hiking and exploring nature, I found this book made me look at trees in a completely different way, and if you love the natural world, you will, too.

8.4/10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad