Confirmed with Link: Lamoriello Media Availability June 6

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
MacLean is probably a goner
Was an afterthought to begin with. Perhaps a role within the org anyway. Did step in kinda last minute.

Need a special teams coach and a better defensive coach. PP and Houda both sucked.

Understand the feelings expressed regarding Johnson but at this point we need a faster version. Assume/hoping he and Fasching are 13/14.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
My very rudimentary reading of the tea leaves from Lou's presser would be that Mayfield is probably gone, Bailey is certainly gone, and I wouldn't be surprised if a C is dealt most likely Pageau in a package deal for a scoring winger or puck moving Defenseman.

Reactions: periferal

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
My very rudimentary reading of the tea leaves from Lou's presser would be that Mayfield is probably gone, Bailey is certainly gone, and I wouldn't be surprised if a C is dealt most likely Pageau in a package deal for a scoring winger or puck moving Defenseman.
He also heaped praise on our 4th line, so...CC will be back....

Reactions: NYI365

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Bailey has no value except negative value, and I can't see how he can keep the UFAs without dealing away something substantial AND improve the team at the same time. It is practically impossible to do so.
AZ will probably tank hard this coming season . Lou's already traded with Armstrong (Ladd) so theres some history there in the cap dump dept . Isles might have to bite the bullet and trade their 2023 2nd rounder (no 3rd's until 2025)to convince AZ into taking on Josh

otherwise , I agree - he's going to be near impossible to move and they might just demote him to the ahl and save whatever amount that equates to on the cap (aprox 1 mil )

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I’m not sure how people are getting that moves will be made from the presser. To me he basically said this is the group of players that needs to get it done outside of Bailey being moved.
Just that the money doesn't work to bring back our UFAs to keep this group together without dealing some contracts.

He also heaped praise on our 4th line, so...CC will be back....
Yup. Lou said these playoffs are a "man's game" and that must be what he loves the 4th line for.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
What I'm hearing the most here is that ties will be amicably cut with Bailey, but that Lou wants to keep all other players. The 4th line and the UFAs. While expecting Wahlstrom back. And while waiting on Parise to make a decision.

Something has to budge financially to even keep the status quo.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I am surprised Lou still has any desire at his age to keep doing this job. It'll probably take a truly horrific season either in 23-24 or 24-25 for him to finally say he is done

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Was an afterthought to begin with. Perhaps a role within the org anyway. Did step in kinda last minute.

Need a special teams coach and a better defensive coach. PP and Houda both sucked.

Understand the feelings expressed regarding Johnson but at this point we need a faster version. Assume/hoping he and Fasching are 13/14.
I think that if they're lucky, they snap up a guy who can coach the PP better (like Gomez)

YES i do defend Gomez

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Uh, even Dougie "defense is dead" Weight got more than 1 year of work as head coach.

that was the Garth Snow regime. There is a reason why Doug Weight hasnt had a job since. No one is calling him. Not even ESPN or TNT.

This is different or should be different. I dont think Lambert is the answer to this team.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
I am surprised Lou still has any desire at his age to keep doing this job. It'll probably take a truly horrific season either in 23-24 or 24-25 for him to finally say he is done
True, though they did seemingly 'only' give him a 3 year deal...which in my eyes means he's got 2 years to work this out, I doubt they want a lame duck 84 year old finishing out his term.....

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Reading between the lines....defense is a strength so Mayfield might be gone.

Or....

They don't have enough cap room to resign Mayfield.

I find it impossible to believe that Lou, or anyone with a pulse, thinks that the defense is a "strength" - Especially without Mayfield.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
that was the Garth Snow regime. There is a reason why Doug Weight hasnt had a job since. No one is calling him. Not even ESPN or TNT.

This is different or should be different. I dont think Lambert is the answer to this team.
I'm on record saying I would not be opposed to bringing Dougie back to run the powerplay, unless that success was all Scott Gomez

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
What I'm hearing the most here is that ties will be amicably cut with Bailey, but that Lou wants to keep all other players. The 4th line and the UFAs. While expecting Wahlstrom back. And while waiting on Parise to make a decision.

100% truth.

And it's scary to think that a team will struggle to keep the "status quo" when that team has an all-world goalie yet barely made the playoffs.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

One thing I heard Lou say and I fundamentally disagree with him on is that Lou thinks he has team speed. He defined team speed as not only skating ability but quick puck movement and players getting to spots. I disagree that our roster have many players with these attributes. I maintain this is one of the poorest passing teams I've seen. They don't execute the basics often enough. This lack of skill permeates all facets of our game, from D zone breakouts, headmanning the puck, our power play, and getting back on defense when we can't control the puck in the offensive zone at 5 on 5. We neither move the puck quickly enough or accurately enough to generate offense, and frankly I don't think too many of our skaters have that burst of speed needed to clear the opponent's defense or prevent odd mans back to our D zone.

One other thing Lou was forthcoming with was Bo Horvat's value, and his usage once Barzy got hurt. Lou felt that even though Horvat was on a 50 goal pace, he knows he's a 35 goal scorer when he traded for him. He also felt Horvat was overused once Barzal got hurt. He said Horvat was overused in all situations and it has a cascading effect in terms of rest, recovery, and effectiveness on his next shift.

Anyway, I don't know if this was posted here, but Lou's presser was over 30 minutes long and MSG has the video here on YouTube.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Or....

They don't have enough cap room to resign Mayfield.

I find it impossible to believe that Lou, or anyone with a pulse, thinks that the defense is a "strength" - Especially without Mayfield.
if they can move bailey, they should have enough cap space.

He did go through our "Core Defenders" - and did not include Mayfield. so that may speak to his state of mind. or not....

Reactions: JohnTonelliRises

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad