GDT: Lame Day Thread: Game Two, Wild and Hawks, 5/3/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
Yeo needs to be canned. He line changes on the rush and generates no offense. He has no idea what he is doing.

100% this is our biggest problem. Anyone off the street could come in and do a better job. He has no idea what and the hell he's doing. He is just in over his head. He cannot coach at this level, not right now. We need a vet in there who knows what he's doing.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
100% this is our biggest problem. Anyone off the street could come in and do a better job. He has no idea what and the hell he's doing. He is just in over his head. He cannot coach at this level, not right now. We need a vet in there who knows what he's doing.

Exactly, It made me giggle to see him the first time in front of the playoffs backdrop for a presser. We need a real coach and not only does Yeo have to go, this team needs some serious changes on the back end and a solid offensive group. Out with the grinders.

MNWILDFAN001

Jul 2, 2010
Minnesota
It is our fault we are in the position we are in right now. We lost to Calgary and Edmonton down the stretch. Had we beat them, even one I think, we would have been in 7th place not facing the Hawks.

Suter needs help on defense.
I don't think we would do much better against the ducks.
And yes, get Suter some help.

Parise is not being successful right now because of the way they are being taught to play offensively .. that goes for the entire team except maybe the Zucker who has had great chances especially game 1 but again, his chances came by utilizing his speed and shot.

Both of our goals this series came off rushes...

Don't think we'll be seeing many goals like that from our 1st line. You need speed. Parise and Coyle have some. But Koivu is too slow. If that line is going to success they need to be better in the offensive zone. Better at puck battles, better at cycling.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
As I said in the other thread, it's time to find a different center for the offensive guys and let Koivu play shutdown center. You can see on the PP his creativity is pretty low and at even strength his speed is a concern. His hands and strength are off the charts but he relies on his linemates to do all the offensive work.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
I am so sick and tired of hearing about the Blackhawks skill level. No excuses.....they are a VERY beatable hockey team if you play the right way. That STARTS with your captain....

It starts with our coaching, then goes to the players. Personally, I don't like the idea of dump and chase against a faster, bigger, and more skilled team. We don't get o-zone time? Shocking.... Gee, who would have thought they would have beaten us to the puck so often.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Trade the guy while everyone thinks hes an underrated great defensive forward. Soon he will be overrated.

Koivu

for

Benn

o **** Joe Nieuwendyk is out nvm. I can't believe Benn went in the 5th round wow what a pick

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
I'm fairly sure that Koivu has been playing with some injury for some time now. We'll see after Wild is eliminated.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Things to think about with regards to Yeo's system:

-Dump and chase almost exclusively.
-Grind and grind and grind. No creativity allowed on the puck.
-Get that pass from behind the net to in front of the goal mouth, regardless of the fact that every team defends superbly against it.
-Bring the D down into the play because the entire forward line is behind the goal line.
-Don't play the body, play the puck.
-Only send one guy in on the forecheck.
-When the opposing D passes the puck away, veer away from the hit and chase the puck some more. Don't bother hitting the guy.
-Don't bother trying to sell penalties a little bit. Were "above" that kind of play.
-Don't physically retaliate against cheap shots we receive. We can't afford to actually have energy and a spark to rally us. Just keep grinding.
-Don't worry about a proper breakout, just chip it off the glass and hope it doesn't go for icing.

Am I hitting the mark here? Anyone?

651*

Yeo's going to be back next year, whether we like it or not. He got to the post season, which I reckon was the barometer in his second (shortened) season.

Now next year, if we aren't making the grade by about the halfway mark, I reckon they will toss him over the boat.

CG5

Jan 18, 2011
Waukesha, WI
Yeo's going to be back next year, whether we like it or not. He got to the post season, which I reckon was the barometer in his second (shortened) season.

Now next year, if we aren't making the grade by about the halfway mark, I reckon they will toss him over the boat.
I hate to say it, but I think you're right.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I really hope you are wrong. I'm betting that Leipold isn't patient enough to see what Yeo can do next season and has Fletcher fire him within minutes of getting swept after an embarrassing two losses at home, in front of a crowd that will be raining boos.

Then Fletcher may or may not be jettisoned himself. If he goes with another rookie coach he needs to be. We need to get either Ruff or Tippett this offseason, depending on if Tippett is available or not. But Ruff I would not mind having at all. His system actually has an offensive component, and we only need to pick up one or two decent blueliners this offseason and we should have a competent defense with Suter and Brodin at the top. We also might have Dumba aboard for next season depending on if the brass thinks his growth would be stunted by staying in Red Deer for another year or not.

Yeo really needs to go this offseason. The way we are playing in this series, the only way Yeo saves his ass is if he somehow turns it around and we take it to game 7. I simply do not see the Wild team doing that with the way they are being coached.

Watching Columbus against Chicago would have been many times more entertaining than last nights disasterfest.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Things to think about with regards to Yeo's system:

-Dump and chase almost exclusively.
-Grind and grind and grind. No creativity allowed on the puck.
-Get that pass from behind the net to in front of the goal mouth, regardless of the fact that every team defends superbly against it.
-Bring the D down into the play because the entire forward line is behind the goal line.
-Don't play the body, play the puck.
-Only send one guy in on the forecheck.
-When the opposing D passes the puck away, veer away from the hit and chase the puck some more. Don't bother hitting the guy.
-Don't bother trying to sell penalties a little bit. Were "above" that kind of play.
-Don't physically retaliate against cheap shots we receive. We can't afford to actually have energy and a spark to rally us. Just keep grinding.
-Don't worry about a proper breakout, just chip it off the glass and hope it doesn't go for icing.

Am I hitting the mark here? Anyone?

Looks about right to me:cry:

And now I need a drink:shakehead

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
I don't know what Yeo's supposed to do with 20M injured against a team that was much better than us even if we were healthy. The Hawks are 1-2 lines better everywhere, their 3rd D pairing is better than our 2nd, their 2nd line better than our 1st, 3rd better than our 2nd, 4th on par with our 3rd.

Fletcher chose to not build a team on skill, speed, or puck handling, and it shows. Chicago is a great skating team with discipline and incredible sticks, we struggled with puck decisions/placement against AHL teams down the stretch, how are we supposed to be successful against a much superior team.

Would've been nice if we could've beaten AHL teams down the stretch to get a better matchup, but that was the obvious indication that this team is nowhere near competing for the cup and had no business giving up the assets they did for Jason Pominville. Its not just one player or the coach, its a combination of everyone as to why this team can't compete with the Blackhawks.

INTOTHEVOID

Go right.
Jul 9, 2012
Minnesota
Did anyone notice during the game the dump and chase strategy does not work against the Hawks? Especially when you can't win puck battles along the board? So why keep doing it, am I missing something here?

THEALLKNOWING*

How has Parise been this season?

I'm probably one of the few Devils fans that don't hate him now. :laugh:

Not worth $7.5MM that is for sure. He only got it because Leopold was desperate, and Parise is a Minnesotan. The locals here love their own, and inflate their capabilities as a result. Small, light, can't win battles, and obviously is heavily depend upon others to do the dirty work along the boards, because he can't. He's great a pounding the goalie, or trying to stuff it in from behind the net. Problem is, he keeps doing it, everyone knows he is going to do it, and it works 1% of the time.

Kaptain

WarBortles
Feb 7, 2013
Florida
Not worth $7.5MM that is for sure. He only got it because Leopold was desperate, and Parise is a Minnesotan. The locals here love their own, and inflate their capabilities as a result. Small, light, can't win battles, and obviously is heavily depend upon others to do the dirty work along the boards, because he can't. He's great a pounding the goalie, or trying to stuff it in from behind the net. Problem is, he keeps doing it, everyone knows he is going to do it, and it works 1% of the time.
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley

The opinions expressed are that of this user and not representative of any other Wild fans.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Just saying, I hope to see Backs in the cage tomorrow, I think the team plays better in front of him.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota

Going to go ahead and suggest that you have no idea what you are talking about.

RxDangles19

Jun 28, 2011
Duluth, MN
I agree with the sentiment that Yeo has to go after this round. If we get swept I think he is out for sure but if we win 2 games he may just stay unfortunately. This team won't be in that elite group of teams until we get a pure goal scorer on this team again. As much hate as there is for Gaborik on these boards, we haven't had a player who can put the puck in the net like that since he left.

Parise is excellent at what he does. Great hustle, hard worker, gets the dirty goals. I like him and am glad he is on our team but it is not enough. Setoguchi can nip some shots that is for sure but it seems so inconsistent. When is the last time you saw a wild player truly pick corners and open holes on a game by game basis?

I love this team to death and only want for them to get better but scoring has always been the issue here. I haven't looked at who is available in FA this offseason but hopefully we either make a move by trade or someone steps up to be 'that' guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad