Lalonde & Yzerman 2023-24 Detroit Red Wings End of Season Media Availability

1878rgw

Jun 29, 2017
Maybe I missed it, but Lalonde didn't really mention Seider, did he? He talked about Larkin, Raymond and being excited about Edvinsson as part of the core. No mention of Seider...

Am I reading too much into this?
After the goalie talk around 8.15 is about Seider I think.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
That has to be assuming all the UFA's resign, which is obviously not going to happen.
I think if we sign Raymond and Seider for 8 each and resign Ghost for about the same amount and Kane walks we have like 6 million to fill out the roster.

Even if we bring in a lot of kids it's really tight and Yzerman will need to free up cap. With the cap going up to 87 million second liners are going to be looking for 5.5-7 million.

Raymond (8)-Larkin (8.7)-DBC (7.9)
UFA (???)-Compher (5.1)- Berggren (1.5)
Rasmussen (3.2)-Copp (5.6)-Fabbri (4)
???-Danielson (.95)-Veleno (1.25)

Total: ~46.25

Seider (8)-Walman (3.4)
Edvinsson (.94)-Petry (2.34)
Chiarot (4.75)-AlJo (1?)
Maatta (3)
Holl (3.4)

Total: 25.9

Husso (4.75)
Lyon (.9)

Total: 5.65

Abdelkader's Dead Body: 1

Team Total: ~78.2

That leaves between eight and nine million to sign a second line forward and fourth line winger.

If Yzerman really wants to bring Ghost back he's going to have to trim cap somewhere.

Last edited:

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
I think if we sign Raymond and Seider for 8 each and resign Ghost for about the same amount and Kane walks we have like 6 million to fill out the roster.

Even if we bring in a lot of kids it's really tight and Yzerman will need to free up cap. With the cap going up to 87 million second liners are going to be looking for 5.5-7 million.

I don't see them resigning Ghost, but maybe I'm wrong. Ed's up and sounds like Johansson's going to be as well.

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
Sorry, he just seems like Ken Holland 2.0. He signed way too many old vets, Petry, Holl, Compher, Copp, to longer terms. These were the guys who were supposed to provide leadership and were AWOL when Larkin went out. We're stuck with bad contracts and can't get anyone of substance to help. He's struck out on goaltending at every turn and we're stuck with a useless Husso for several more years. Save for a hot start, DeBrincant was largely a non factor. Fans griping about Sprong, but he scored 18 goals as a 4th liner. Gostisbehere was decent, but can't afford to re-sign him. Same with Kane. If Holland had done this, there'd be a mutiny. Hired a coach that couldn't motivate a starving kid to eat. Playoffs are less of a possibility next season. I don't get all the Yzerman defenders.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
Sorry, he just seems like Ken Holland 2.0. He signed way too many old vets, Petry, Holl, Compher, Copp, to longer terms. These were the guys who were supposed to provide leadership and were AWOL when Larkin went out. We're stuck with bad contracts and can't get anyone of substance to help. He's struck out on goaltending at every turn and we're stuck with a useless Husso for several more years. Save for a hot start, DeBrincant was largely a non factor. Fans griping about Sprong, but he scored 18 goals as a 4th liner. Gostisbehere was decent, but can't afford to re-sign him. Same with Kane. If Holland had done this, there'd be a mutiny. Hired a coach that couldn't motivate a starving kid to eat. Playoffs are less of a possibility next season. I don't get all the Yzerman defenders.

... next year is literally Husso and Petry's last year?

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
We’re a cap team now. Someone did the math and once we sign Seider and Raymond, we’re basically left with about a million in cap space to work with. I don’t see how we can improve the roster via FA. Our only choice is for younger prospects to take the next steps.
We ain’t that close to the cap even with Seider and RayBan signing. Unless I’m mistaken, I swear after signing them both for 8x8s(I would assume), we’d have 7 million or so. Dont quote me on that. I haven’t checked cap friendly or anything.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Holland has been gone 5 years and people are still playing the "If Holland had done this..." game???

As was pointed out, Husso has one more year on his deal. And take a gander around the league. There weren't a lot of super solid goaltenders to be had. Also, a 67 point player is largely a non-factor?? Debrincat was third on the team in points behind Raymond and Larkin.

I was disappointed that the team was absolute dogcrap when Larkin was out and agree the veteran leadership is supposed to help with that and didn't, but the rest of your points are mostly nonsense.

Reactions: dalem177

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
We ain’t that close to the cap even with Seider and RayBan signing. Unless I’m mistaken, I swear after signing them both for 8x8s(I would assume), we’d have 7 million or so. Dont quote me on that. I haven’t checked cap friendly or anything.
I posted the org chart up above.

Edit: lol at calling Compher an old vet. He is one year older than Larkin but didn't break into the NHL until a year after Larkin.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
We’re a cap team now. Someone did the math and once we sign Seider and Raymond, we’re basically left with about a million in cap space to work with. I don’t see how we can improve the roster via FA. Our only choice is for younger prospects to take the next steps.
We have 29 million in cap space

What math and who did it?

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

redwings8831

Jan 16, 2009
If the Wings run three rookies next year (AlJo, Berggren, Danielson), I would expect regression and probably missing the playoffs again, but that's going to have to happen at some point to start working more of his draft picks into the roster. I wouldn't mind missing the playoffs for another season if we are bringing in prospects instead of bad vets.
Berggren has played 79 NHL games in his career, he's not a rookie.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think you're overlooking how it would just be cathartic to see these things asked about and how the people wanting it don't necessarily care about the actual answer

you aren't wrong though, if Yzerman wanted Holl playing he would be playing

I can respect that. When you're invested in something, both financially and emotionally, it's nice to have answers from those in charge why things aren't going as planned.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I'd recommend taking 5-10 minutes to study our team breakdown on cap friendly. Unless you think Raymond and Seider will be signing for something like 8 years, $13M per year.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
Holland has been gone 5 years and people are still playing the "If Holland had done this..." game???

As was pointed out, Husso has one more year on his deal. And take a gander around the league. There weren't a lot of super solid goaltenders to be had. Also, a 67 point player is largely a non-factor?? Debrincat was third on the team in points behind Raymond and Larkin.

I was disappointed that the team was absolute dogcrap when Larkin was out and agree the veteran leadership is supposed to help with that and didn't, but the rest of your points are mostly nonsense.
Because it's true. Yzerman is given so much more patience and forgiveness for bad signings that Holland or any GM would never be afforded because of his on ice history. It's always, poor Yzerman, he's ONLY had 5 years. Had any other GM made a nepo acquisition like Petry or signed Holl to a 3 year, 10 Million dollar, LMC deal to ride the pine, fans would be calling for his head.
Husso a 3 year 14+ mil NTC, to replace his previous failed acquisition, Nedeljkovic.
DeBrincat scored like a third of his goals in the first 2 weeks and had multiple double digit goal droughts. He was basically Compher, Fabbri, Sprong or Kubalik, without the PP ice time, and at nearly 8 milliion. Kane was supposed to light a fire under Cat. Didn't happen.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
The problem with most of these "why aren't you guys also mad at Yzerman and demanding he gets fired!" crowd is they also talk in that extreme rage twitter type talk that's just so boring, that thread on the main forum is filled with it. Hard to want to even have a discussion with that shit.

Also all they ever have is free agent signings that don't mean dick all in the grand scheme of things, oh no we got Holl and Copp! What does this mean for the cup next year!?

This is gonna come down to draft picks as always and being able to make a trade, in which to me Yzerman has done extremely well at. Hence why the "any other GM would be fired!" talk just makes me laugh, prospects take time.

But go ahead rage away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad