Lalonde & Yzerman 2023-24 Detroit Red Wings End of Season Media Availability

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Maybe I missed it, but Lalonde didn't really mention Seider, did he? He talked about Larkin, Raymond and being excited about Edvinsson as part of the core. No mention of Seider...

Am I reading too much into this?

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
Maybe I missed it, but Lalonde didn't really mention Seider, did he? He talked about Larkin, Raymond and being excited about Edvinsson as part of the core. No mention of Seider...

Am I reading too much into this?

Yzerman did- raved about his ability to handle tough matchups, etc. but you’re right.. don’t think Lalonde did, unless I missed it

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
I for one, really enjoyed watching Yzerman be more relaxed and fun with the media. It has no baring on the team, but I liked it personally.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
The media dropped the ball in not asking about the Justin Holl situation. I don't care about Holl specifically, but Yzerman committed >$10M to a player that Lalonde had no interest in using. That's a massive breakdown in communication; are Yzerman and Lalonde on the same page moving forward? How do they plan to prevent that from happening again?

Reactions: Fynn

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The media dropped the ball in not asking about the Justin Holl situation.

Here I'll give you an accurate approximation of the answer you'd get for asking that:

"We always look to add depth at important positions. Holl is a veteran and professional and having him as part of that depth is what we look for in building a team."

I don't know why you guys think if the reporters ask leading questions about negative topics they'll just open up and tell you anything remotely honest. All that does is make them want to say less if they think the media is playing gotcha and fishing for drama. They also aren't going to throw a player under the bus, especially a recent UFA signing, because that's unprofessional and a bad look for other guys you want to sign. These players talk and it's a small world at the NHL level.

Holl not seeing the ice is your answer how they feel. Yzerman didn't sign him to play less than half the games so just assume everyone considers it a misstep that they are navigating.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Lalonde: "I had conversations with Steve about getting younger during the season."

Yzerman: "I don't remember those conversations."

Lol
Yzerman has no choices, he needs to keep team under the cup. For that reason Berggren, AJo and probably someone else will be with big team

Murmansk16A

Apr 29, 2022
Lalonde: "I had conversations with Steve about getting younger during the season."

Yzerman: "I don't remember those conversations."

Lol
Yzerman did say some of the young guys were just not going to be called up, no matter what, because they needed to play in the minors, and he didn't want to be moving them up and down. I presume that was mostly about Kasper.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Here I'll give you an accurate approximation of the answer you'd get for asking that:

"We always look to add depth at important positions. Holl is a veteran and professional and having him as part of that depth is what we look for in building a team."

I don't know why you guys think if the reporters ask leading questions about negative topics they'll just open up and tell you anything remotely honest. All that does is make them want to say less if they think the media is playing gotcha and fishing for drama. They also aren't going to throw a player under the bus, especially a recent UFA signing, because that's unprofessional and a bad look for other guys you want to sign. These players talk and it's a small world at the NHL level.

Holl not seeing the ice is your answer how they feel. Yzerman didn't sign him to play less than half the games so just assume everyone considers it a misstep that they are navigating.

I think you're overlooking how it would just be cathartic to see these things asked about and how the people wanting it don't necessarily care about the actual answer

you aren't wrong though, if Yzerman wanted Holl playing he would be playing

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
If the Wings run three rookies next year (AlJo, Berggren, Danielson), I would expect regression and probably missing the playoffs again, but that's going to have to happen at some point to start working more of his draft picks into the roster. I wouldn't mind missing the playoffs for another season if we are bringing in prospects instead of bad vets.

If he is going to bring up AlJo and resign Ghost, I'm guessing he's going to trade Holl, probably with some retention and a pick if necessary. Petry, AlJo, and Maatta will all rotate in and out of the 6th spot until someone gets injured.

Last edited:
Reactions: Air Budd Dwyer

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Well Lalonde is definitely not going anywhere. Steve very happy with him.

Wants to resign Kane and REALLY wants Ghost back.

He said he'd "strongly consider" having Ghost back. I don't know if that's the same as really wanting Ghost back in Yzermanspeak.

One thing I liked is when Yzerman talked about the team needing to get better defensively. He said it several times in the press conference and two different times specifically stated that the coaching staff needs to foster that and teach players to be better defensively. And said he's counting on the coaching staff to work with players.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Talk is cheap. Yzerman has six months to let his actions do the talking.

But if they make the mistake of actually running back more or less the same roster, I'll be watching a lot less games next year than I did this year. You don't get this close to the playoffs and then just tread water while putting 90 percent of your eggs in one basket.

Reactions: Fynn

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Yzerman also answered a question about bringing up prospects. Said he's been conservative in bringing guys up. But when he brings someone up he wants them to have an impact in the NHL. He said that generally his approach is to have guys play lots of minutes and having success because they're having fun and their confidence is growing and they're maturing.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
Yzerman also answered a question about bringing up prospects. Said he's been conservative in bringing guys up. But when he brings someone up he wants them to have an impact in the NHL. He said that generally his approach is to have guys play lots of minutes and having success because they're having fun and their confidence is growing and they're maturing.
Yeah, I think Berggren had a lot of fun this year

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
It's great how even though Yzerman has a microphone 3 inches from his mouth, the audio sounds like it was recorded in the men's bathroom.

Reactions: RRhoads

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Talk is cheap. Yzerman has six months to let his actions do the talking.

But if they make the mistake of actually running back more or less the same roster, I'll be watching a lot less games next year than I did this year. You don't get this close to the playoffs and then just tread water while putting 90 percent of your eggs in one basket.
We’re a cap team now. Someone did the math and once we sign Seider and Raymond, we’re basically left with about a million in cap space to work with. I don’t see how we can improve the roster via FA. Our only choice is for younger prospects to take the next steps.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
We’re a cap team now. Someone did the math and once we sign Seider and Raymond, we’re basically left with about a million in cap space to work with. I don’t see how we can improve the roster via FA. Our only choice is for younger prospects to take the next steps.

That has to be assuming all the UFA's resign, which is obviously not going to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad