Lake Erie Monsters/Kalamazoo Wings Thread IV (All Affiliate talk here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
I'm super excited for the home opener. I'll be there (the only person in a white CBJ #20 Voracek sweater!)

Go Monsters!

Frank Booth

Feb 13, 2008
Lumberton, USA
It was really jarring to watch an AHL game where the home team actually had a defensive structure, where guys weren't running around in their own end and consistently out of position. And a team that could actually move the puck and take shots, though the finishing could use some work. One thing I constantly heard in the stands was " Is this what real hockey looks like?". For the last eight long seasons we haven't seen that in Cleveland. We saw glorified pond hockey. But according to at least one "expert" who has never watched an AHL game in person, only on AHL Live, what was here was good. But hey, what do I know, I've only attended only about a 1,000 or so games in person over the last 37 or so years, at the NHL, AHL, IHL, ECHL, OHL, NCAA, USHL, NAHL, and high school levels. Someone sitting on their butt watching games over the internet is much more knowledgeable. At least according to them and their cronies.

And one more observation, there were no passengers tonight, everyone hustled on every shift. I think this could really be a fun season.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Some quick thoughts on some players (claiming no any expertise, just what I saw from 220):

Rychel looked very good. Kept getting knocked over the first half of the game, but was always buzzing around the net. I'm excited.

Milano's about what we expect--dipsy-dooed around with the puck to the point I started screaming from the stands several times. Quit trying to make pretty plays everytime, man.

Ryan Craig looked very out of place in a scoring role. I recall at least 3-4 times where the puck was near his stick and he just whiffed hard, especially around the net. I would be more comfortable with him lower in the lineup.

Heatherington had some great defensive plays in the second. Had 2-3 blocks on one shift and just played smart hockey. Covered for a silly cross ice pass in the D zone by Sifers.

Bjorkstrand was nearly invisible. Seemed like he just doens't have the strength yet. He'll get there though.

For what it's worth, Bodnarchuk looks like an AHL #1. Very strong play in the moments I specifically followed him.

If we don't say it enough, I love TJ Tynan. For a mite, he seemed to play a "heavy" game. Always fighting on the boards and going hard to the net offensively. I'd love to see him get a cup of coffee in the NHL over, say, Karlsson, right now.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Congrats Lake Erie!

So who on the D should get a look in Columbus? I imagine several of them can outplay Connauton/Prout. Paliotta? Heatherington? Bodnarchuk?

And I'd be fine swapping Karlsson and Tynan to give the little guy a look.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Congrats Lake Erie!

So who on the D should get a look in Columbus? I imagine several of them can outplay Connauton/Prout. Paliotta? Heatherington? Bodnarchuk?

And I'd be fine swapping Karlsson and Tynan to give the little guy a look.

Bodnarchuk seems like the obvious one to me.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
The big difference is that the Jackets are drawing that at major league prices.

Let's not get into the whole attendance thing. It is meaningless. There have been nights when the Clippers out-drew the Indians. Does that mean the Tribe are going to be moved to Columbus? Fat chance. If you want to make a comparison, compare opening night crowds. The crowds at Monsters games in the past have been, well, up and down.

It is well known that the CBJ draw far better once football season is over. In this town OSU football is King, and many people don't even think about hockey until football season is over.

I will say this about last night, though. In past seasons Leafs fans would have gobbled up any available tickets. That didn't happen last night. Oh, there were some there, but not like we have seen in the past.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Bodnarchuk seems like the obvious one to me.

I would agree with this. While Heatherington looked solid, I don't think he's ready for the NHL. I'd like to see him play awhile longer down there to get used to the pro game rather than throw him to the wolves.

Also, shockingly, I kept seeing Falk making plays and wondered "who is this guy with Bodnarchuk?" then realized it was Falk. Bodnarchuk-Falk looked good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad