Confirmed Signing with Link: [LAK] F Phillip Danault signs with the Kings (6 years, $5.5M AAV)

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Kings fans,

Lost in all of this 1C, 2C, 3C mumbo-jumbo is the more important question, which is:
What do you guys call him......
Phil, Phillip? Philly?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He's a fantastic hockey player.

The number one rule is you don't let players with elite skill walk. Danault isn't an offensive dynamo, but there are very few players in the league who can play a 200 foot game the way he does, and very few who posses his IQ without the puck on his stick. Both skills are elite.

He's also underrated for his ability to win board battles.

He really is a hockey player's hockey player. Guys like that are a f***ing pain to play against. No quit in the engine, always taking the puck, sliding off checks, very Bergeron-esque.

Danault is on pace to score 18 to 20 goals. That's good scoring from a 2C playing hard match-ups every game.

His scoring touch was bad in Montreal because it's Montreal... where scoring comes to die!

We are kindred spirits in that regard haha.

Reactions: wetcoast

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Imagine people bashing this signing at the time because pointssssss, especially after those playoffs he had, shutting down guys left and right. Selke calibre guy, and now he's scoring some goals too and the Kings are on a good trajectory to make the playoffs.

Best signing last off-season? This would have been the perfect signing for a team like the Oilers, to balance against their run and gun hot shot guys.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Habs fans were convinced he was being carried by guys like Gally, who they now can’t wait to get rid of. Hard being a Habs fan, our fanbase on these boards are hockey illiterates
I guess you’re right if you totally ignore all the injuries Gallagher has had this season and his new cap hit.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
Reading this thread from the start is pretty funny. I think everyone focuses on his offense last year to argue that is it such a bad contract.
People say “sure hes good defensively but…”

I think the problem is that most people do not realize just how good he is defensively and in the neutral zone.

He’s not just a “good defensive c” he a top 5 and maybe even top 3 defensive C in the league. Elite level of play like that makes a huge impact on an entire team.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I guess you’re right if you totally ignore all the injuries Gallagher has had this season and his new cap hit.
Danault's line was good defensively but never got out of their own zone and put up no points. This was more due to no puck moving defensemen and his linemates than him. And thanks to the idiot MB and his atrocious coaching and d selections Montreal WAS where offense died. This of course is no longer the case.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Danault's line was good defensively but never got out of their own zone and put up no points. This was more due to no puck moving defensemen and his linemates than him. And thanks to the idiot MB and his atrocious coaching and d selections Montreal WAS where offense died. This of course is no longer the case.

What are you talking about? Tatar lead the team offensively, and Gallagher put up 33 goals and then 22 in 59 games on that line.

Of course they were not superstar offensive numbers, but thats where you're right: MB built a team where everyone had to play one line higher than they should have in the line up...

Gallagher himself was really good for his role, but it took an idiot of a GM to not realize that guys who play that type of hockey dont usually last in their 30's.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Imagine people bashing this signing at the time because pointssssss, especially after those playoffs he had, shutting down guys left and right. Selke calibre guy, and now he's scoring some goals too and the Kings are on a good trajectory to make the playoffs.

Best signing last off-season? This would have been the perfect signing for a team like the Oilers, to balance against their run and gun hot shot guys.

Honestly I think that I wasn't sure if this was exactly the right signing, especially with term but could see the argument that he could buffer the development of a guy like Byfield and other centers (not sure exactly how it will shake out in the end as LA has some many awesome prospects) but he obviously has been rejuvenated in LA at least for this season.

Also while LA was my wildcard longshot bet to finish in the top 3 in the Pacific (after Vegas and the Oilers who have both really sputtered this year) they have exceeded my expectations, especially with the time Doughty has missed.

The Kings could be a very scary team to play in the first round this year for teams other than Calgary.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Honestly I think that I wasn't sure if this was exactly the right signing, especially with term but could see the argument that he could buffer the development of a guy like Byfield and other centers (not sure exactly how it will shake out in the end as LA has some many awesome prospects) but he obviously has been rejuvenated in LA at least for this season.

Also while LA was my wildcard longshot bet to finish in the top 3 in the Pacific (after Vegas and the Oilers who have both really sputtered this year) they have exceeded my expectations, especially with the time Doughty has missed.

The Kings could be a very scary team to play in the first round this year for teams other than Calgary.
any habs fan with a brain in their craw knew it was bad to let him walk and what was worse, was bargain bin's entire improv after not getting KK signed right away. habs then lost TWO C's. they could easily have given Phil what he wanted and kept him as a 2C - and trade KK. Bargain bin, true to form was always free-styling it with no plan, no vision. He's your problem now. lol. at least you got a terrific two-way, top 2 C who was able to find even more of his offensive game in LA

Reactions: wetcoast

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
awe man, wheres my buddy now who said we will end up paying a million a goal for the lifetime of the contract .. well 21 million down another 12 mill to go ..

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
awe man, wheres my buddy now who said we will end up paying a million a goal for the lifetime of the contract .. well 21 million down another 12 mill to go ..
He's pacing for less points than his career average and is only going to get worse with age. No Habs fans didn't want Danault for the next year or two, it was year 3+ Danault we didn't want at 5+.

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
He's pacing for less points than his career average and is only going to get worse with age. No Habs fans didn't want Danault for the next year or two, it was year 3+ Danault we didn't want at 5+.
umm his career average points per game before LA was roughly .51 points per game .. and with the season so far he's sitting at .6 points a game .. i mean im not a mathematician or anything but that number looks bigger

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
The way I see it, Danault simply did not want to be back in Montreal or at least really wanted to test free agency.

The way it went is Bergevin made him an extension offer at the beginning of last year. I believe it was 6 x 5M$.

The Danault clan came back with "a ridiculous offer". The numbers weren't disclosed, but let's say for fun it was 6 x 8M$ per. It was just clearly saying "if you want to keep me, you'll have to grossly overpay".

It was the last time the two parties negotiated. So it's clear to me than Danault and his agent wanted to test free agency from the get go. It's not really that "Montreal didn't re-sign him".

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
umm his career average points per game before LA was roughly .51 points per game .. and with the season so far he's sitting at .6 points a game .. i mean im not a mathematician or anything but that number looks bigger
It does when you think rookie Danault stats are important to the numbers he's had over his prime, which are lower now.

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
It does when you think rookie Danault stats are important to the numbers he's had over his prime, which are lower now.
If you go from when he was 24-28 his points per game average was roughly .557 per game ... still not as high as .6 .. dunno still higher ... but what do i know i guess

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Big time player and leader, MVP of the Kings, possibly next captain. On a team with Kopitar, Doughty and Quick, that's how good and important he is right now and for the future.
I have no doubt it's the case. He's such a smart player. Not elite offensively but absolutely elite defensively. Of course when he was a Hab every other fanbase couldn't see that because they hate our guts for no reason. Just watch the same thing happen with Lehkonen. Anyway, I'm cheering for you guys these playoffs because of Phil !

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
I have no doubt it's the case. He's such a smart player. Not elite offensively but absolutely elite defensively. Of course when he was a Hab every other fanbase couldn't see that because they hate our guts for no reason. Just watch the same thing happen with Lehkonen. Anyway, I'm cheering for you guys these playoffs because of Phil !
Loved watching him play in the playoffs (honestly the only Habs games I watched all year) ... and caufield was also super fun to watch ... I kept hoping LA would move up a bit to take him ... but we did pick up Kaliev later in the second round .. but still wanted caufield Haha

Reactions: HabsQC

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Danault’s on pace for 25 goals this season, more than double his career goal-scoring pace. I was excited about this signing over summer, I’m downright elated now. He’s exactly the type of player LA was missing and has made the entire team better.

Easily the best free agent acquisition across the league this year and potentially the best Kings free agent signing ever.

Reactions: YP44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad