Prospect Info: LAK Draft (190th, 2020) RW Aatu Jämsen - Pelicans U18, U18 SM-sarja

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Oh well, I was just planning to open a thread. Good I checked one more time.

Not sure if he is just drafted based on this running season. Last year he was by far the best offensive player of Pelicans U18 team as well but I understand its a big +.

He has not played for any Finnish U18 teams yet.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Seventh round pick with possible upside. Kings have been crushing it with their European scouting the past few years. Worst case scenario, nothing comes of this pick.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
This could be a sneaky good pick. Had he gone undrafted, I bet he would've been drafted much higher next draft like Fagemo. He's a relatively late birthday as well.

Reactions: andys

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Last season was absolutely nothing special, u-18s is a very weak league to be playing in as a u-18 player.

However, the start to this season has been really strong. If he keeps this sort of production up he'd perhaps be worth a first round pick in next year's draft even as an overager. Compare Henrik Borgström.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Seventh round pick with possible upside. Kings have been crushing it with their European scouting the past few years. Worst case scenario, nothing comes of this pick.
Just like to see the Kings leave Jamsen the full 4 years in Finland and then bring him over to compete! Like that he's second in scoring in U20 SM sarja League at 18 years old!
Aatu-1.jpg

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
Let's settle down. We've literally had like 4 players from the 7th round that have played since 2006. one of them is already out of the league, another is a 4th liner at best, one is currently with the kings, the other took off to chicago. I do hope this kid turns out well for us, but let's all just calm down. If you count the legend that is Middleton, that would make it 5.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
After the Amadio hype from a couple years ago, I find myself not buying any hype from anyone.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Some people can't just be happy a prospect is having a good season - regardless of whether or not it translates to the NHL.

What's even more odd is the fact that this prospect in particular isn't even being overhyped. I guess someone took issue with the Kings being called the best drafting team in the 7th round, which is like bragging about drafting Andy Andreoff.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What's even more odd is the fact that this prospect in particular isn't even being overhyped. I guess someone took issue with the Kings being called the best drafting team in the 7th round, which is like bragging about drafting Andy Andreoff.

Which is funny because objectively it's true.

There's a good source who shows basically NHL draftees by games, points, etc. and the Kings have the best NHL placement of anyone, and especially in the 7th round. If there's one thing with the Kings' drafting one cannot complain about in good faith, it's putting just-a-guys in the NHL. Some people will complain just to hear their own voices at this point and I just don't even have the breath to deal with the bad-faith, objectively wrong complaints about that (bottom six production runs a close second) so I just ignore it as a whole at this point.

Can't recall the name right now but will dig it up later, on the go atm.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Even more impressive when the guy in 1st place is in his last year of eligibility at 20 years old. Good stuff. Hopefully he gets left in the crockpot and then comes over as the Finnish Conference Finals goal-record holder Dwight King in a future playoff run.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Having been around HF since the late 90s, I've seen my fair share of overhyped Kings prospects. Justin Papineau, Yanick Lehoux, Jared Aulin, Andrei Shefer, Alexei Volkov, and Petr Kanko are legends of overhype.

Yeah but people are still sleeping on Pushkarev, he's about to make the jump.

Some people can't just be happy a prospect is having a good season - regardless of whether or not it translates to the NHL.

Its cool, good for him. However it means nothing to me as a Kings fan. "Kings are the best 7th round" team in the NHL doesn't mean much either if the players are uninteresting at best. Kings have iced players before that had no business being in the NHL before so yeah.

Remember when Amadio was supposed to be a real gem? Now people are happy when he's scratched. Just different perspectives, I guess.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
yes. i have no issue with acknowledging how well a current prospect is doing...but we're not a fantastic 7th round drafting team just because of said prospect.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Its cool, good for him. However it means nothing to me as a Kings fan. "Kings are the best 7th round" team in the NHL doesn't mean much either if the players are uninteresting at best. Kings have iced players before that had no business being in the NHL before so yeah.

Remember when Amadio was supposed to be a real gem? Now people are happy when he's scratched. Just different perspectives, I guess.

I don't and I was one of his biggest boosters. He looked like he could be a bottom sixer with some possible top six upside. That was it. And frankly, that's still not too far off what happened, not enough to start the finger-wagging bullshit again anyway.

Getting pretty sick of this reaching back into the past to create a strawman stuff is all.

People need to stop misreading being happy with prospect development as if it's other saying "all 50 prospects are surefire top six NHLers."

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Then you really might not want to follow prospects, period, as a Kings fan. Because until a player is in the NHL, what they do in minors and juniors will always mean nothing to you. Especially if you're going to misrepresent the Amadio narrative.

There were legitimate hopes Amadio would be a regular NHL player. He put up 100 points in the top defensive OHL team. At the time he was drafted, he was the perfect fit for the type of game the Kings were playing.

The game, and the Kings, have sped up since then.

Jämsen is a longshot to make the NHL. Who knows if he even comes to play in the AHL. But if you don't enjoy people having fun celebrating the growth, development, and successes of players who are longshots to make the NHL, you are going to have zero joy reading these.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad