Eklund Rumor: Laine wanting to go to ANA or LAK (mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
Does he mean like an extended vacation? Both teams aren't expected to really compete in the next few seasons.

Ducks will be trying to compete for playoffs this season; and depending on what we'd hypothetically give up for Laine, he would almost certainly help that goal.

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
That is a crap counteroffer. The only way Winnipeg would accept an offer from the Kings IMO would be if they included Vilardi or Turcotte. The Kings do not need them both with Byfield being drafted as well.
I don't see either of them being traded till we find out what kinda nhl player they will be. For a historical reference look at the richards trade they didnt trade scheen or simmonds till they played in the nhl I dont see them trading Vilardi or Turcotte till they know which is the better. Imo the only way they trade for Laine is if its with b prospects which Fagemo and Spence are.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
I feel like it takes a little more than that....but that really gets the conversation going
I also think wpg might be looking more towards ‘now’ pieces, but that might involve bringing in a 3rd team since both Ana and LAs best value would be in offering prospects

What type of "now" pieces do you think they'd be after, though? a scoring RW to replace Laine, maybe a Top4 RHD ?

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Wouldn't pay much for him. He doesn't seem to appreciate how fortunate he is to have been blessed with his size and abilities, and seems to have a lot of entitlement. Not the type of attitude you build around.

Reactions: north49er

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
What type of "now" pieces do you think they'd be after, though? a scoring RW to replace Laine, maybe a Top4 RHD ?
On first glance, I would think those 2 needs are what stands out in a Laine trade (although I’ll admit I haven’t followed Winnipeg overly this offseason). Although when dealing with a premium asset like that, it’s prob best to maximize value, then use that value to fill those needs tbh

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
If dubios really wanted to come to Winnipeg (family) I wonder if there’s a 3 way trade that could be done here

Fascinating proposal. CBJ would want an elite piece though...Byfield ??

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Fascinating proposal. CBJ would want an elite piece though...Byfield ??

giphy.gif

I'd rather have PLD than Laine anyway.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Not sure Laine is the type LA covets. I think they would prefer PLD. I’d rather they pass on both and improve their defense but good defenseman rather get traded

Reactions: Rorschach

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Everything I say, here, is always prefaced by the understanding that this is an Eklund rumor so it has very little basis in reality.

That being said, IF this were to be something that could happen then I'm guessing one of Vilardi or Byfield would have to be included for Winnipeg to even think about a deal with LA. 40+ goal scorers simply don't grow on trees. If Kessel can have value for as long as he did without ever winning a Cup, Laine's value has to be higher because he can score more goals and aside from one season, is not as big a defensive liability as Kessel was/is.

Not saying LA would even consider losing one of Vilardi or Byfield, but at some point teams have to realize that prospects are assets and that an unrealized prospect isn't as good as a legitimate NHL player who still has a higher ceiling than what is being shown, which in Laine's case is pretty scary. It's simply a matter of whether LA wants to take on Laine's personality, because on paper it's a deal that you make every day of the week.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I'd love to have him in Anaheim, it would give Zegras a good target for a long time, but I don't think the Ducks should pay what it would cost. He's an elite version of Rakell, a guy that is a complimentary top line forward but not a guy that drives it (yet?). There are no other top line forwards to compliment on this team. Rakell is around a 50 point player on the Ducks, Laine would probably be a 60 point player on Anaheim (unless/until Zegras breaks out). Jets would likely want one of Zegras/Drysdale plus more in a deal, and I don't think the Ducks should trade either one for him or an unprotected first. I doubt they would want a package around Rakell, so I don't see a deal to be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad